Prototype Fastback - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Prototype Fastback

Hey guys I decided to do a prototype fastback. I decided to call it a prototype since i hope to have something nicer when it is finally done but here is the general plan:

1. It has to be very cheap and easy to build because I just have Tonight before I Move from Michigan to OHIO (which should be the first test of the Fastback).

2. To accomplish this it will be done out of Foam Core (Foam used to display in science fair... At work we use it to Prototype everything!!!). Also will use some Shrink Wrap Tape (very good adhesive plus we have it in stock at work).

3. I wan't about 3 Feet of my bed (Long BED) to have the same height of the cab and then slope down. Right now it is sloping down at a 19 deg angle (very Smooth). Because the sheet of Foam core is 8'x4' It will not be wide enough to just slant it down so it will come in a bit.

4. I do have a AutoCAD drawing of it. Forgive me for having such a square fastback but its just a prototype... I'm hoping to make it out of fiber glass when i'm done testing.

5. To give the topper more structure I will use wooden battem attach to the foam core pieces.

6. Finally I will paint it just to make it water resistant.

My goal is to be able to test this prototype for about 1000-1500 miles. That might take 3-4 months depending the trips (mostly are un planned).

For the final part I'm thinking of having a portion (if not all) of the fastback slope to hinge up with some Air shocks. Hopefully it will work just fine and I have my FiberGlass one for summer.

Pictures are coming soon and so is a 3D drawing of it...

99.5 F250 2wd 6Speed: DP Tuner, Straight Pipe, DIY Tymar, 203 Thermostat. Spec Focus Hauler!!

23.5 MPG (HIGHWAY)
17.5 MPG (City)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 02:43 AM
MPG Moderator

Re: Prototype Fastback

Good man, INFOCUSHAULER! You will find this is very effective at improving your road MPG.

I can visualize what you are doing. Mine is almost exactly the same except mine is made of lumber and rubber mat.

You will need a couple of 4x8s of foam core. If you look the top of your cab is about 48” wide. You will have a main sheet then two angled filler sheets to fill in the sides.

Like me, you are using a single angle on your first try and about 17 degrees is what is comes out. 17 degrees is A-OK, but the maximum angle is 28 degrees. By doing that, you could have a flush-top shell coming to about 48” forward of the tail gate and a 6:12 slope (25 degrees) to the tailgate. This would result in more cargo space.

I like the shrink wrap idea. That stuff is much tougher than people think and you can get it much tighter at the seams than my rubber mat.

Before you do this get a baseline MPG. At couple tankfuls at least. After you are sure the top is OK (you’ll know within a few miles) do another test. My guess is you will realize a 3-4 MPG increase over an open bed.

Mine has proven much tougher than I thought it would be. I figured it would last six weeks but because it sheds the wind very well and there seems to be no working on the seams at all. It is still water-tight. If I do a project I have in mind this year the old prototype might be free to a good home.

2000 F-350 SC 4x2 6 speed
3.08 gears Gear Vendor Overdrive
Slammed 4"
Rugged Air Dam
315,000 miles
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Thanks for the feedback. I cut everything and was about to put it up but ran out of tape... It looks good!! might need a bit more structure but I think I might work on that today after work... What I was thinking of doing is trying this out for a couple of tank fulls and if it seems like a nice obvious improvement I will take it off and make another one maybe using this one as a mold. While the permanent one is made I will record more miles with out it to make sure I have a good comparison (and is not that something is going on with the truck at the same time.)

In my original Idea I wasn't thinking of using the shrink wrap to cover all the fastback that would be a great idea and it would be really tight and smooth... If only I would stay at work for an extra week but I have my flight tickets to Puerto Rico (originally what I called HOme till I went to school) for this saturday.

That shrink wrap is extremly tough. We wrap all of our boats on that and ship them out to florida (some go to florida but just using the most extreme example). The semi's do about 70-80 and that boat might as well be a shrink wrap sail but they manage to get to florida and the shrink wrap is not even stretched....

99.5 F250 2wd 6Speed: DP Tuner, Straight Pipe, DIY Tymar, 203 Thermostat. Spec Focus Hauler!!

23.5 MPG (HIGHWAY)
17.5 MPG (City)

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Hey guys here is what I did as a prototype... It has been up for about 500 miles (highway). I couldn't treat it with some kind of coat to protect it because of lack of time (had to take a flight to go to Puerto Rico, which is home for me). By the time I come back it might not even be there because of the heavy snow storms. If it is I would be amazed. I'm still at a 1/4 tank with 600 miles on the odometer. The first 100-150 miles of this tank where in the city...

23.5 MPG (HIGHWAY)
17.5 MPG (City)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Hey guys here is what I did as a prototype... It has been up for about 500 miles (highway). I couldn't treat it with some kind of coat to protect it because of lack of time (had to take a flight to go to Puerto Rico, which is home for me). By the time I come back it might not even be there because of the heavy snow storms. If it is I would be amazed. I'm still at a 1/4 tank with 600 miles on the odometer. The first 100-150 miles of this tank where in the city...

23.5 MPG (HIGHWAY)
17.5 MPG (City)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 02:21 AM
MPG Moderator

This is similar to what I have in mind for my beta version.

Straight back a couple feet then angling down. The 4x8 portion could easily be the lid. What if the "4x8" portion were a ReTrax or Pace-edwards rollup tonneau set on an angle instead of flat?

Snow load, I don't know about but it looks like it shouldn't be much damaged by the wind. I didn't think mine would last long but it passes off the wind so well the "skin" sits still and doesn't flap at all. Yours should do the same.

2000 F-350 SC 4x2 6 speed
3.08 gears Gear Vendor Overdrive
Slammed 4"
Rugged Air Dam
315,000 miles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode