MPG / mod question - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Banning Smut

MPG / mod question

My Dad is in sales and stacks on a crapload of miles in his truck. The problem is the price of fuel has gone up and his company has not changed the rate of compensation. I have never really payed much attention to fuel economy (that is changing) due to the way I drive. lol

His truck is a 2002 f250 7.3 crew 2wd with 3.73s. 240-250,000 miles. VERY clean, VERY well maintened truck.

The only mod he has is a superchips 1705 set to the lowest setting. evrything else is bone stock. He is getting 16-17 mpg on the highway.

Is it out of line to expect 2-3 mpg increase from only adding an open intake and exhaust?

He is not looking to go fast, only gain mpg........and he hopes to do this on a budget...

Dont see him dropping his truck or installing a fairing anytime soon either. lol

I realize this looks like a noob question, but to be honest I have never looked at modding my truck from a mpg/economy standpoint.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 11:33 PM
DILLIGAFF

Send a message via AIM to Redfish
Re: MPG / mod question

I can see 20-21 with my truck highways miles, 2wd. But that is only doing 7o mph GPS verified, and at 1890-1910 rpms, scanner verified. I think speed has alot to do with it, because if I do 80-85mph, my mileage drops to about 17-18. I think an open intake and maybe just a walker BTM will help out bigtime.

2006 F-250 CC King Ranch, Harley Headlights w/ 55w HIDs
ARP studs, MBRP 4" exhaust and AM Colbalts By:
, AFE stg. 2 Pro Guard 7 from XDP, SCT from innovative!
14.09 @ 94 1.85 60'

~

post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 11:54 PM
MPG Moderator

OK. Nothing radical. No slams, no fairings, no radical gearing.

PTSUPERD asked:
"Is it out of line to expect 2-3 mpg increase from only adding an open intake and exhaust?"

Dave sez:
'Fraid so. I added a 4" exhaust and a Baldwin 2818 filter and got exactly squat for MPG improvement.

Here's what works.
I assume since he has a chip, he has a pyrometer. Use the pyrometer to help him avoid jackrabbit starts. Keep the EGT at 600 or less. This works and costs nothing.

Keep the RPM under 2000. For most stock trucks that means 70 MPH max. If he has 4.10 gears (common on duallies) that means 64 MPH.

Stay with OEM sized rubber. Bigger or smaller hurts MPG.

I don't think there is a commercially available chip or tuner that will help him. The only time those help is if your truck is an egregious fuel hog, which his 17 MPG crew cab is not.

If he can live with one, I wholeheartedly recommend a tonneau cover. Hard or soft - either works. For me in a pretty long rigorous test, a flat tonneau improved my fuel economy by 1.5 MPG. If he can't hack a tonneau at least always run with the tailgate up.

A 203 degree stat improved my fuel economy by 0.75 MPG.

That's the cheap and easy stuff. He might work his way to 20 MPG.

But ultimately fuel economy is just another parameter of performance. The same rules apply. You have to do something expensive to get big results.

I would stay away from monkeying with the engine. With the exception of the egregious fuel hogs we hear so much about, these 7.3 engines are sorted out fairly well for economy.

The areas of improvment are gearing (pickups are wildly overgeared) and aerodynamics. Both of these offer lots of opportunity for MPG improvement.

2000 F-350 SC 4x2 6 speed
3.08 gears Gear Vendor Overdrive
Slammed 4"
Rugged Air Dam
315,000 miles

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 03:13 AM
PSN Local

BTW Dave where did you buy your gears from? are they for the 10.25? did you have to change bearings to make it fit?

99.5 F250 2wd 6Speed: DP Tuner, Straight Pipe, DIY Tymar, 203 Thermostat. Spec Focus Hauler!!

23.5 MPG (HIGHWAY)
17.5 MPG (City)
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 03:52 AM
MPG Moderator

Rick's Ring & Pinion sells a whole kit - gears, bearings, and seals for the 10.25 sterling which is what my truck has.

If your dad's truck has an automatic, I might advise caution. 3.08s really slow the engine down. I run 1700 RPM at 70 MPH and 1450 RPM at 60 MPH. This might reduce fluid flow so much in the average automatic that it cooks the tranny.

No problem for a six-speed.

If one of the good automatic tranny houses makes a tranny for this application I will defer, but these engines are tough enough on automatics even before you slow the engine down.

Slammed 4"
Rugged Air Dam
315,000 miles
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Banning Smut

Thanks for your input Dave.

I did forget that he has a fiberglass leer topper.

|
|
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 03:58 PM
PSN Veteran

If you could find some good used 3.55 gears and install them yourself, it might worth it. Keep the air pressure in the tires consistant, I check mine every day or two. Air filter and exhaust did nothing for me. DP tuner may be able to do a mileage program, I have heard that his do work.

2001 F-350 CC Drw, GT-4294/1.01, 200cc splits, AFE stage 2, custom fuel system, Rickson 19.5's, many more mods.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 05:52 PM
PSN Local

I have Dp 80 economy but This first tank can't go into the average for 2 reasons... First I found my self playing a bit with the 140 Smoke tune and also I had the first snow on this truck (since I have owned it which is less than a month) so I was practicing my driving techniques (how the thing reacts when it slips, drift and such...) So yes I used the gas pedal tooo much on this tank to be even close to valid...

99.5 F250 2wd 6Speed: DP Tuner, Straight Pipe, DIY Tymar, 203 Thermostat. Spec Focus Hauler!!

23.5 MPG (HIGHWAY)
17.5 MPG (City)
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 11:08 PM
MPG Moderator

PTSUPERD, that Leer top ain't doin' his MPG any favors. Make him as aerodynamic as a box of Wheaties.

Slammed 4"
Rugged Air Dam
315,000 miles
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 11:19 PM
<----Colin Banks

He could also change over to all synthetic fluids in the diff, trans, engine, etc.... Also stock tire size is a 265. If he needs new tires, he can go to a 235 in an E rating. They are the same height as the 265's, but they are more narrow to lessen friction and drag on the road. check for proper tire pressure.
dont forget the 2 stroke premix!!! the added lubricity and BTU could help in his MPG quest. Check the brakes to make sure they are not dragging as well.

><>
<><

1996 PSD F-350 crew cab 4x4, 5 speed,AB CODE CALI TRUCK- Tuned by DI

2013 F250 4x4 CCLB Platinum Edition

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode