My MPG from Hell - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Fan

My MPG from Hell

I have a 2000 7.3 and I have been having the worst gas mileage and I dont know what to do. I have a 26 gallon tank and I filled it all the way up one day and cost me $80. I set my trip and drove. I am slightly over a fourth of a tank and its saying ive only driven 100 miles! WTF! Thats like 3-7 miles per gallon. People say their tanks last them 600-800 miles but idk what the hell is wrong. I checked the EBPS and it had some soot but wasnt blocked and clogged so I just scrapped off what I could and put it back together. One caliper isnt working properly due to a line that needs replacing. my truck turns to the right when I brake so Its the front left caliper line that needs replacing. I just replaced all calipers on my truck so I know thats what it is but even a slightly sticking caliper wouldnt make my MPG 3-7 miles. I have a new set of 265/75/16R tires I put on in May or so, before that It had 285/75/16r tires and I dont know if that has anything to do with it, but still if that did have an effect on my economy it wouldnt make it this bad. What do yall think can cause this? Im going to sell my truck if I cant figure it out. I have a ts chip but only drive it on stock and 50hp+.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 06:20 PM
Kris

Re: My MPG from Hell

First off- you can't judge mileage by looking at your fuel gauge and guessing. Top your tank off completely, reset odometer and drive. After awhile top it off again and check gallons to miles..

For example.. Reset odometer. Fill tank. You drive 300 miles and fill up again. Say it takes twenty gallons to fill your tank again. Simply divide 300 by 20 and you have your ACTUAL mileage. (15mpg.) You can't trust the onboard computer to tell you, nor can you try to gauge your mileage by the fuel gauge.

I'm running 285/75/16 tires and I'm still getting 17-19mpg hwy to give you an idea. Tire size does make a difference, but that's not a very big tire.

If the brakes are dragging, it will obviously drag down your mileage. 3-7mpg probably isn't accurate, like I said.. check it properly.. If your truck is turning to the right when you're braking- then your RIGHT side is your issue. (Your caliper is pressing down harder acting as a steering brake.) On top of dragging brakes, a 50hp chip could definitely drag your mileage down. Depending how you drive, you can get ####ty mileage with a stock ECM..

Let us know what you come up with..

2000 F-350 4x4, 7.3L/6 Speed.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Fan

My fuel thing at the top of the truck hasnt ever worked. I know 3-7 miles isnt accurate but regardless i filled up and after driving 100 miles, im slightly above a fourth of a tank which is crappy. I also talked to mechanics and had originally thought that if the wheel on the front left side spins faster than the wheel on the front right side then the truck will turn right when braking, not left.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 10:18 PM
Guilty on all counts

Hand calculate is the only way, and not only once, but over a few tanks of fuel. Your gauge sounds the same as mine. I had to get used to my truck after driving the Excursion. I can do 100 miles before the gauge even starts moving in the Excursion. My truck does 100 miles and I'm already below 3/4. Excursion will do 600-700 miles to a tank, my truck only does about 300 miles. Of course the Excursion has a 40+ gallon tank vs my trucks 20 something. What gears do you have on your truck? Mine has 4:10 which doesn't help the mpg.

Unless the tank is harpooned, most of us don't have the patience to fill it all the way up.

I have a feeling that if you hand calculate over the next few weeks, you will find that it's not as bad as you think. I get about 18 in the Excursion and 16 in the truck. Of course towing can bring both of them into the 10 mpg range.

One last thought. How is your air filter? A blocked or dirty air filter can make a big difference.

I hope you keep your truck! Good luck.

2000 Excursion 4x4 7.3
2000 F350 4x4 CC SWB
1988 Suzuki Samurai 4x4 (can I squeeze a 7.3 under the hood?)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Fan

I appreciate the feedback Picanins. When I fill up I wait until it clicks off but after you said harpooning the tank I did research and it said that sometimes it'll click off because of foam and itll keep you from fitting the last 5 gallons of fuel that the tank will hold which would mean im only putting about 21 gallons in my tank when i thought it was 26 gallons. But that doesnt make much sense because my fuel gauge is a lil over full when it clicks off and I stop fueling. I dont tow anything also. And I replaced my airfilter about a year ago and it didnt seem dirty when I worked under the hood a few weeks ago. And i think we can all agree with gas being (in my city) $2.80 and diesel being $3.65 its tempting not to go gas even though I hate gas trucks haha.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Fan

but after thinking it said 26 gallons were purchased at fill up so if thats the case then might I actually have a 30 gallon tank? And also when I am "almost empty" it takes forever for the fuel gauge to move.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 03:38 AM
Guilty on all counts

I replace my air filter every 5000 miles (with oil change).

Both my 7.3s have 6 pos chips. The Excursion has "canned" TS tunes and it usually stays on the "75hp" setting unless towing, then I drop it to the "50hp" setting. I found mpg improved with the chip.

I sold my 2006 Dodge Hemi for my 2000 F350. No regrets. I love my truck. It is so much more truck than the Dodge and just does everything I need it to do so much better.

If your needs are different though, then maybe a gasser would suit you better. :-(

2000 Excursion 4x4 7.3
2000 F350 4x4 CC SWB
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Fan

imma be transferring college from kentucky to Florida so gas would be better but I wanna keep my diesel. I too have a ts chip (5 pos), seeing as how the company was founded in my city haha. What would you classify as a normal trip to florida from ky. Roughly 800 miles to the emerald cost (destin, PCB) how many fill ups would you expect for a normal 7.3 truck?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 11:24 PM
Guilty on all counts

On a good note, diesel seems a little cheaper here in Florida. I get B20 here for $3.19 a gal at the moment.

I haven't done any long trips in my truck with it empty. I would guess my range to be about 400 miles with any empty truck at around 70mph. Of course I don't run it low. I would fill up every 200 miles +\-.

Put a pen and notepad in your car and do some hand calculating, then get back to us. If it really is 7mpg, then you have a major problem, but I think you will find it closer to 15mpg, which is kind of the average for these trucks.

I still don't know your gears. Try not to take your rpms over 2000. Your mileage will suffer.

2000 Excursion 4x4 7.3
2000 F350 4x4 CC SWB
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 02:53 PM
MPG Moderator

Like Post#4 said, the only valid measure is hand calculation. the fuel level gauge is only a relative suggestion. They vary all over the map. "Lie-o-Meters" (aka electronic politicians) are little better.

If you read the stickies, you'd see I view anything less than a 1500 mile sample (which averages out difference in how you fill one tank to the next) as questionable.

All that said, your bigger than average tires have a detrimental effect on MPG. Did you recal you speedometer when you put the bigger tires on the truck?

These trucks are notorious for draggy brakes. Minimum 2 MPG loss. I've accidentally burnt up a couple of rotors and who knows how much fuel got wasted.

The EBPV is also notorious for failing closed and the thing will hiss and its like running with an engine brake on. No matter how much I cleaned it, it would hiss at me from September to mid-May. I electrically disconnected mine and live with the long engine warm-up in the winter.

The combo of big tires, draggy brakes, and stuck EBPV is easily robbing you of 5 MPG - maybe as much as 8 MPG.

BTW, these trucks are a bitch if you run them out of fuel. Ask me how I know. I have the 26 gallon tank and get good MPG, but if I pass 400 miles, I'm looking for fuel at any price. Aircraft people call that "tankering" but better hauling around a lot of fuel than running her out of fuel. Besides, empty space in the tank invites condensation in the tank - especially when temperature are crossing freezing.

2000 F-350 SC 4x2 6 speed
3.08 gears Gear Vendor Overdrive
Slammed 4"
Rugged Air Dam
315,000 miles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode