33's vs 35's - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Wondering what if

33's vs 35's

I have an n '07 F350 C/C SRW 3" lift and 35x12.50R18 Toyo M/T's on 18x9 wolverines. I have 54k miles on them and am getting ready to put new ones on. Was wondering if going to 33's would make more than 1 mpg if any difference? I know it would be less rolling resistance with the 33's, but if mpg wasn't going to improve by at least 2 than I would rather keep the 35's. I also read all terrains get better mpg than mud tires but with the snow and mud I see plus no limited slip in rear, I feel I get stuck less with mud tires. Current mpg for truck is 13-14 avg city/hwy. No tuner as of yet, but airaid filter, 5" catback, 3.5" downpipe.

'07 F350 3" lvl, fndrs trmd, 37" M16's
Ultra lites ECT,EGT,EOT Oil and top fuel billet caps
banjo bolts drilled cautiously, ccv, zoodad mods Dieselsite coolant filter
SCT SF3 can tunes

Mike's Diesel Performance
KT Performance
DieselPowerProducts.com
Dieselsite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 05:31 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: 33's vs 35's

A tuner could probably help that out a little bit, but good luck keeping your foot out of it.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 05:42 PM
PSN Veteran

well i went from 265/75s to 285/75 so from a 30" to a 32.5" tire and my mpg dropped by 1mpg, i was getting 19.5 now im getting 18.5 on the same 500 mile trip. also i put a level kit on too though so i dont know. I would say if its a lighter skinnier 33" tire it would save you about 2mpg but if your going keep the same witth i dont thing it will do anything at all in the mpg department

2000 f250 ECSB Dually 4.10s 305/70/16, 4x4 7.3 zf6 200k miles
Php hydra chip PHP tuned! 4" exhaust, stock turbo(ww2, turbomaster wastage actuator, gutted ebpv), FRX, 160/30 sticks SB 1939-CB single clutch, home brew water setup for when i'm pulling hay through the mountains.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Wondering what if

Thanks for the input fellas. I've been trying to talk the wife into a tuner, telling her it will have paid for itself in 3-6 months. Did the try before you buy on the Bullydog. Boy what a difference 80 hp makes when you step on the pedal. With the time frame you get on the temporary setup I didn't really have the chance to see any improvements in mpg, which is what I was semi-trying to shoot for. Who am I kidding, I wanted to see what an extra 80 hp felt like. The installer at the shop said most guys don't see any improvement in mpg for the first month due to the play factor. I'd agree. Anyway, as much as I liked the bullydog, , upon reading posts from this site, I would probably go with a SCT with custom tunes, especially if/when I get the egr delete.

SCT SF3 can tunes

KT Performance
DieselPowerProducts.com
Dieselsite
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 01:43 PM
PSN Veteran

Send a message via AIM to slowleak

dont even think about bullydog. go staright to custom tunes. you will run into transmission issues if you use tuners that dont tune the trans also.

fwiw, i got better mileage on 35's than i did on 33's on the highway. in the city it didnt change at all. stick with the 35's

2005 F350 prairie tan/black crew cab FX4 innovative tunes, exhaust

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PMRCM#1
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Wondering what if

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowleak View Post
dont even think about bullydog. go staright to custom tunes. you will run into transmission issues if you use tuners that dont tune the trans also.

fwiw, i got better mileage on 35's than i did on 33's on the highway. in the city it didnt change at all. stick with the 35's
I do like the cool factor of 35's over 33's. Of course I'd also like to step up to 37's, but don't want to get into the cost of R&P change. I'd also in up doing cutouts vs changing lifts in order to get them to fit.
I had asked the service guys at a ford dealership about possible tranny upgrades if running a tuner, because I didn't want to ruin a tranny. They told me the same thing, make sure the tuner adjusts the trans also and add another cooler.

SCT SF3 can tunes

KT Performance
DieselPowerProducts.com
Dieselsite

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode