Automatic lock up - OD off vs on - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Automatic lock up - OD off vs on

I'll admit that I was thinking a little bit more about the Adrenaline HPOP and how it increases the volume of oil when this all kind of came together for me and my Excursion.

I have no data to say that this does anything, but I will state my observation of how my torque converter locks and unlocks with my DP Tuner set on 80 Econo with the over drive on and off. For me, they are different.

My drive to and from work, is through a relatively rural area with speeds generally around 45MPH in many areas. There are a couple of stretches that have me going 55MPH, and some others where I'm at 40, 35, and 25.

I usually put it in drive and go. Let the shift strategy do its work. At 35MPH, the TC is locking up, and it shifts into OD gear at right around 47MPH. So, usually, in some of those 45MPH situations, I've been seeking the 47MPH mark to get it into the higher gear. The first area I encounter is a lot of up and down stuff, and it switches back and forth a lot. Really, it's kind of fun, but it's wooded too. With OD on, at 45MPH, the TC starts to unlock and coast down hills. When I need to get on the throttle again, it does take a moment for the TC to catch up and lock.

Thinking to myself that if the Adrenaline HPOP increases oil volume, I just decided, hey, why don't I just run it at 45 to 50 with the OD off to keep the engine spinning a little faster.

What I noticed is that the TC stays locked longer on decel. I want to say that it was staying locked down to about 29MPH compared to the 45MPH that it unlocks at when allowed to use OD.

Going on a trip this weekend where I won't be doing any of this, but I'm going to try and see if I can come up with some feedback with what I have observed.

Dave
2005 E350 6.0PSD
2003 Excursion Limited 4WD 7.3PSD - Sold
1996 E350SD dually 7.3PSD - Gone!

2002 VW Jetta TDI - stock
2007 Escape Hybrid
1999 Kaw KLR650 - 17/42 gearing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 11:49 PM
PSN Local

Re: Automatic lock up - OD off vs on

Jody's new 80E tune fixes a lot of the problems you describe. The shift logic (TC logic) with OD locked out is the same on or off now. I can keep OD on and it will down shift automatically @ 45 mph to D when decelerating with the TC staying locked the whole time. The TC stays locked in D down to 30mph. I had him raise the 3-4 shift to 48mph to prevent the upshift on 45mph roads. I requested the 4-3 downshift because it would lug the OD down to 37 mph. This new strategy dyno at 328hp/648#-ft at the rear wheels with the standard upgraded exhaust and intake.

2000 F350 XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW, PSD, 4R100, MSOF, 3.73 TrueTrac, AIC, Gauges, DP F6 Live Tuned, Terminator T1000, AIS, ATS housing, 31-row cooler, HPX line, Magnaflow & BrakeSmart.
2006 Wildcat 31QBH
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Thanks for the reply!

I guess I didn't see it as a huge "problem" really, but an observation.

You have the F5 or new F6 from Jody?

Dave
2005 E350 6.0PSD
2003 Excursion Limited 4WD 7.3PSD - Sold
1996 E350SD dually 7.3PSD - Gone!

2002 VW Jetta TDI - stock
2007 Escape Hybrid
1999 Kaw KLR650 - 17/42 gearing

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 12:49 AM
PSN Local

F6. I didn't like the lugging in OD down around 40 so I asked Jody to play with it. He first unlocked the TC at 43 when you had OD on. It stayed locked in D with OD locked out. Then he came up with all new version a couple months back. The F6 makes it nice to update at will.

2000 F350 XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW, PSD, 4R100, MSOF, 3.73 TrueTrac, AIC, Gauges, DP F6 Live Tuned, Terminator T1000, AIS, ATS housing, 31-row cooler, HPX line, Magnaflow & BrakeSmart.
2006 Wildcat 31QBH

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode