clutch fan or electric fans? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
biostroke1

clutch fan or electric fans?

hey guys, has anyone removed thier stock clutch fan replaced w/ electric fans? i have two 16" electric fans i picked up, each pulls about 2600 cfm, and i plan on installing them in my 04 6.0 pretty soon, for better fuel milage and more hp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 05:40 PM
PSN Mega Miler

Re: clutch fan or electric fans?

From everything Ive read it hasnt really helped people with power or mpg by going to the electric fans. Also it will overheat if you tow after switching to the electric fans.

With a properly working fan clutch on manual fans you shouldnt loose any power when the trucks not being worked hard or in really high temps. Also when it is being worked hard or in high temps those electrics are not going to be able to move enough air to come even remotely close to the cfm the stock fan was able to make.

I know its a popular mod on cars and such but just doesnt pan out on these trucks.

2002 F250 SuperDuty Lariat PSD 7.3 Crew Cab 4x4 302,000+ miles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Valvoline Extreme Blue 5w40 Synthetic,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Clifford Matrix 50.5x Alarm

, P3 Brake Controller, Swamps Injectors, PHP Tunes

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 06:36 PM
PSN Local

I can't say that I know if it will help mileage, but even towing my enclosed auto haulers with my bus, which also had a 203* thermostat, I can't ever recall ever having the fan engage even going up hill through the mountains.

Dave
2005 E350 6.0PSD
2003 Excursion Limited 4WD 7.3PSD - Sold
1996 E350SD dually 7.3PSD - Gone!

2002 VW Jetta TDI - stock
2007 Escape Hybrid
1999 Kaw KLR650 - 17/42 gearing

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
biostroke1

so what your saying is if it aint broke dont fix it.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 10:18 PM
PSN Mega Miler

Pretty much. Also your probably going backwards with the electric fans

2002 F250 SuperDuty Lariat PSD 7.3 Crew Cab 4x4 302,000+ miles.

, Valvoline Extreme Blue 5w40 Synthetic,
, Clifford Matrix 50.5x Alarm

, P3 Brake Controller, Swamps Injectors, PHP Tunes

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 09:03 AM
Bill

The few times I heard my fans kick on was on 120 degree days here in the desert. That is also with the 203 t stat. I would stay away from the electric as well. More parts that can just go bad.

02 f350 larit, itp rr & pre pump filter, GTP38r, international up pipes, swamps 175/146 single shot's, DP tuner, factory tech valve body & lot of extra lights
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 04:10 PM
Junior Mint

The stock fans draw a lot of power and hence mpg.

On an 8.3 Liter Cummins, the Cummins rep told me in class that it pulls something like 45 hp and hence significant fuel so to always let the computer control it and never run it extra to try and keep the motor extra cool.

I would guess that an old school 7.3 fan pulls at least 15-25 hp.

BUT, electic fans simply can NOT shove even close to the amount of air thru the radiator that a standard fan can.

BUT, you probably only need that much air when you are towing heavy, uphill, in the hot desert. Or maybe stuck in lots of traffic.

There is also an arguement that the fan draws cool air thru the CAC adding hp back.

Also, air flow is important for cold AC and tranny temps.

In short, if you do NOT tow, I think it's a good decision to remove your fan for the winter months and that's about all. That is what I intend to do next winter myself.

I'm officially...Stroke-less.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 11:02 PM
MPG Moderator

Everybody I know who has tried electric fans has problems with overheating in traffic. Remember, these babies have three heat exchangers to force air through.

Every clutch fan I've ever seen squeals like a stuck pig.

2000 F-350 SC 4x2 6 speed
3.08 gears Gear Vendor Overdrive
Slammed 4"
Rugged Air Dam
315,000 miles
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
biostroke1

i picked up 4 16" fans and i was going to do both mine and my wifes trucks. maybe ill do just one to see how well things go. it wont be for about another month, i have to finish the 100 gal biodiesel processor im building first. ill let everyone know.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 05:03 AM
PSN Veteran

I wouldn't bother. I've heard a few guys on this site and another say that they Ran without fans and didn't see a change in mileage, power or temps. That would suggest that the Fan doesn't come on except in more extreme conditions, like heavy towing or traffic on hot days.

Dan
96 Powerstroke: 6637, downpipe to dump exhaust, 140v IDM and a shift kit.

84 Honda Sabre V65 1100: pipes, jet kit and new tires. Faster than I think I'll ever need.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode