Bio Diesel Emissions numbers - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Bio Diesel Emissions numbers

Didn't know where else to put this. I was discussing Bio Diesel on another website and ran some numbers I thought were interesting comparing a Toyota Prius to a theoretical F350 running B100 and getting 20MPG. I just chose the 20MPG to make my calculations easier.

According to the EPA
Gasoline 19.4 lbs/g of CO2
Diesel 22 lbs/g of CO2
Bio-diesel(49%) 11.2 lbs/g of CO2

50 MPG(prius) is 2.5 X 20 MPG(projected F350)

So 2.5 X 11.2 lbs/g(F350 on B100) = 28 lbs/G on level with Prius

So its 44% more CO2 from truck that weighs 8200lbs. Or the Prius produces 56% less CO2 than the F350.

According to Toyota the curb weight of a Prius is 2932 lbs Thats 64% less weight than my pickup. So the Prius weighing 64% less than the pickup produces 54% less CO2. Even if you don't get 20MPG IMHO thats not bad for an old beast with completely outdated technology compared to the latest and greatest in fuel efficiency and emissions.

If my calculations are wrong, please let me know.

2001 F350 CC LB 4X4
TN, AIS, DP 80hp, ITP boost elim, Magnaflow 4".
Tows the big white hauler.

When life gives you Lemons, throw them at the stupid people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 12:55 AM
<-- it's like that

Re: Bio Diesel Emissions numbers

What's funny is the new diesels now pollute about as much as a Prius. In 2010, diesels will be king of low emissions vehicles. Already the diesels with the DPF's produce 25&#37; less carbon monoxide, hydrocarbons, and carbon dioxide than most gas engines, and produce about the same amount of particulate matter and NOX. Those numbers will drop in a few years.

The sucky part is getting everything to work. Too bad they can't figure out how to get performance and still keep the engine smokeless like the Audi R10. Oh well, just a few more years and we might be there.

Oh yeah, and if you use bio-diesel on a clean diesel vehicle, you cut carbon monoxide and hydrocarbon pollution in half again. Even the tree hugging hippies can't hate on diesels anymore.

Of course I won't be trading my smoking, skinking, oil burning truck any time soon for a "clean diesel" pickup.

Curtis
2002 F-250 PSD
Gambling with 250/200's on PMR's.
478hp/851tq on Haller's dyno - 7/28/12
Your connection to the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 05:44 AM
Hated by All

Gotta love the "Dirty-Diesels"

PARIAH

2001 F-350
Resurection has begun.....

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 06:56 AM
Above It All

You have to watch those Hybrid numbers. They get great city mileage but suck on the highway. The electric doesn't cut it @65 so they are running on petrol full time. Besides, I haven't found one that will pull my trailer. :)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'01 F250 SC/SB 4X4 Trailer Tug
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 07:04 AM
PSN Veteran

canada... kinda like living in the apartment above a REALLY COOL party.... JK... witch hybrids are you talking about?? and reguardless the prius is more aerodynamic than a corvette.. and running on dino it still gets 40+

early 99, xcab, 8"lift,37" toyo open country m/ts, afe stage II,BDP tuning, 5" black chrome aussie cuts, blacked out bumper and grill, 8 isspro performax guages, stealth dual pumps, a few fuel leaks......

mods to come:
NO SACRIFICE..... NO VICTORY!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 05:18 PM
MPG Moderator

Go to www.epa.gov and do a search for "AP-42" Mobile source emissions.

This is the EPA's bible on emission factors. I'm not a fan of the EPA but this is something they do well.

I think your carbon balance for B100 is too low.

2000 F-350 SC 4x2 6 speed
3.08 gears Gear Vendor Overdrive
Slammed 4"
Rugged Air Dam
315,000 miles
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

I got these numbers from the EPA website. I like the idea of a hybrid system especially with power generation on braking. I keep thinking how great it would be to capture some power during braking down a grade when my truck and trailer weigh 22K lbs. Imagine the power you could generate, and if designed correctly the system could be used in place of an exhaust brake.

I think a hybrid F350 is a good idea, but doubt it would happen, and can just imagine the weight increase.

It would be really nice if people would stop throwing insults and arrogance on the topic and came up with some real solutions. For me a Prius is NOT a real solution.

2001 F350 CC LB 4X4

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 01:44 AM
MPG Moderator

Regenerative braking is the principal advantage of the hybrids.

Regenerative braking works well in stop-and-go driving. It is just extra weight in road driving where there is little stop-and-go.

2000 F-350 SC 4x2 6 speed
3.08 gears Gear Vendor Overdrive
Slammed 4"
Rugged Air Dam
315,000 miles
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

True, especially with the small hybrid cars, but think of the potential energy you could capture going downhill with a 15,000lb trailer. Being able to use that energy while climbing the next hill would help a lot, and you would be able to have more power without an impact on EGTs. Just thinking about it from a Systems Engineer viewpoint.

2001 F350 CC LB 4X4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode