More Aero Thoughts - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

More Aero Thoughts

Dave,

Just throwing things out here, some or all of which may be ineffective or impractical.

Cowl over the windshield wipers

Different grille

Pans over wheel wells

full belly pan

dome hubcaps

kill the cab lights

remove stereo antenna

mirrors replaced with cameras (I know we talked about this one)

I may think of more....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 11:28 AM

Re: More Aero Thoughts

get the truck fixed first!!!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 10:18 PM
MPG Moderator

Yeah. All good ideas.

Cowl over the windshield wipers
Ive seen wind tunnel pictures of trucks and this is not an area where there is a lot of air flow. Dead bugs will sit there for miles and miles until I slow down. Low priority.

Different grille
On my winter To do list. My current grille is a 05 sport grille with the two blanked out side faux grilles. Nothing but air traps. Im planning an adventure in plywood and fiberglass that cuts the intake area by about 20% and rounds off, throwing the air flow to the sides.

Pans over wheel wells
On my winter To do list. Rear skirts for sure. Fronts the jury is still out. To allow clearance for the steering wheels, I have to allow it an inside clearance of 6 inches. Figure adding 6.75 to either side. Im having to balance a small added amount of frontal area vs considerable reduction in coefficient of drag. I need to do something. My front tires are small 225-75x16 and leave huge gaps. Im leaning toward doing it because it wont be hard and the truck dimensions lend themselves to it.

full belly pan
Im thinking partial belly pan. The Super duty does not lend itself to a full pan very well. What Im thinking is a pan over the spare tire carrier faired into a roll pan at the rear, replacing the rear bumper. If I do a good enough job with front air dam and side skirts, the air flow under the truck will be low enough that a belly pan would be perfume on a dog. The spare tire area does need a friend though.

dome hubcaps
Absolutely. Mooneyes. Im thinking of getting some steel XL wheels and welding on the bosses for Dzus fastener Mooneyes. I like the Bonneville look.

kill the cab lights
A possibility. I could blank them off OK, but I drive a lot at night and like having people see me in the dark. Cab marker lights makes me look like a bigger truck and people stay away and thats the way I like it. But they do exact a drag penalty.

remove stereo antenna
Already gone. Must not show up in the pix I have posted. It didnt measurably improve MPG, but I dont miss it.

mirrors replaced with cameras
This is big but will be a bit of a project. With any sort of bed fairing (more later) I am blind as a bat to my six oclock. The big Ford TT mirrors help lot. I cannot replace them with just little 2x2 mirrors. What I envision is a six camera array. Two side long range cameras, two side wide angle close-up cameras. A single long range centerline rear view and a backup camera. All displayed on a monitor located where my rearview mirror is. Cameras have one problem in common with mirrors. Optics dictate a flat rear surface, so they are draggy. Mercifully, cameras are much smaller. I need to find someone in the Naptown area who is more hip to CCTV than I am.

Other stuff

Side skirts
My front air dam worked well, but did nothing about air getting in from the sides. Actually, this is easy. I cut a piece of 12 ga. Aluminum and punch holes using the running board (I still have them) brackets as a pattern. I cover about half the distance with the aluminum and attach conveyor belting to cover nearest the road.
This also gives me another place to mount chicken light strips.

Front bumper
What makes my air dam so ugly is that it looks like what it is a piece of conveyor belt tacked to a stock bumper. Whats worse is that about half of the width is falt and perpendicular to my path of travel. The air stagnates there and makes the air dam quiver like a clarinet reed. What Im thinking is to make a stainless bumper similar to what a lot of big trucks now use, but where theirs are low clearance, they rely on the fact the metal is thick to blast road-kill and debris to bits. Their bumpers are also flat to the wind. What I have in mind is more like a NexTel Cup cars rounded air dam but made of stainless. Protrude the nose of it about 6 or so and provide a nice long radius to deflect the air around the side of the truck. The SS bumper would sit about 8 above grade and the conveyor belt would extend down to within 1.5 of grade. (My current air dam has worn to about 1.5 above grade) this setup will look a lot nicer and will more efficiently divert air around the truck and the side skirts will keep it from getting under the truck. In the next few weeks I may pull the bumper and start mocking up one out of plywood. Later, I see about getting someone to fab up a SS version. Add some conveyor belt. Should be killer.

The big enchilada
Redesigned bed
My fastback fairing does improve my MPG a lot but because it is a fixed cheap-and-dirty setup, it restricts my use of the bed unless I want to squirm up under it and take the C-clamps off (a no doubt hilarious spectacle). What I need is a lid that will flip up but retain the nice slick shape I have. The working lid would also carry my long range rear view cam and a brake signal light. But if Im gonna go to all this trouble, why not go whole hog? Ever see a Cobra Daytona Coupe? One of the slickest shapes to come out of the 1960s. These cars were so aerodynamically slick that the cobras could beat the Ferraris down the Mulsanne straight at Le Mans with 289 engines. Look at the rear end of these cars aerodynamically the most important. They have a Kamm truncated cone. The Kamm truncation very closely approximates a fully extended tail cone. Now imagine this crossed with a pickup. If I lower the height of the tail gate but 8-10 and taper the sides into about 50 (two inches outside the wheel wells) I will reduce my apparently rear area to about 40% of stock and greatly reduce my coefficient of drag, but still be able to carry 4x8s in he bed. I am developing some AutoCAD drawings of this thing and may start looking for somebody in the Indy area who can make such a critter. Ill start looking for a junkyard bed to build this mod on. I hate to cut up a perfectly good pickup bed.

If I can pull all this of, this will be hands-down the most aerodynamic road-going practical (as opposed to racing or show-only) pickup truck ever built. There is a guy named Phil Knox driving around a little Toyota pickup that by aerodynamics alone he got from 23 to 38 MPG. Im stealing a lot of his details but even he never did the redesigned bed. His is merely a stock Toymotor bed with a fastback lid that has a rear view window.

If I can pull this off, there will be nothing like it. I go to shows and I think to myself: I think Ive seen every possible permutation of the lifted 4x4 truck with big wheels. If I can get a nice paint job on it, Ill blow everyone away with sheer uniqueness.

2000 F-350 SC 4x2 6 speed
3.08 gears Gear Vendor Overdrive
Slammed 4"
Rugged Air Dam
315,000 miles

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 10:19 PM
MPG Moderator

This is really, really out there but doable and practical.

Right now, my exhaust dumps straight down onto the road just forward of the rear axle. Works out fine for now but if my air dam and side skirting works out as well as I think, I may get some exhaust gas trapped under the truck. Dont know if this is even a problem, but I have a Plan B.

A single stack on the passenger side of the bed. But not just another dumb chrome round stack. I get a piece of 5 stainless (my exhaust is 4) and roll it to an oval or preferably an ellipse section at the end. I install it oriented with the long axis of the ellipse parallel to the direction of travel. Once I get the height where I want it, I further fair the stack to the cab top/bed fairing. A very slick and unusual-looking alternative to regular stacks.

BTW, my truck don't need fixin'

Slammed 4"
Rugged Air Dam
315,000 miles
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diezel Dawg View Post
get the truck fixed first!!!
, I'm not doing this. Just wanted to discuss with Dave.

Dave, cool on the plans. Keep us updated as I'm sure you will.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 12:05 PM

Just gotta mess with ya man.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 01:19 PM
PSN Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Tedzz

Dave, when turning corners and getting "body roll" it changes side drag dramatically,, just somethin IMHO you should consider

'99 F350 Type 6
'85 F450 Type 6
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 07:07 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Whitmer View Post
This is really, really out there but doable and practical.

Right now, my exhaust dumps straight down onto the road just forward of the rear axle. Works out fine for now but if my air dam and side skirting works out as well as I think, I may get some exhaust gas trapped under the truck. Dont know if this is even a problem, but I have a Plan B.

A single stack on the passenger side of the bed. But not just another dumb chrome round stack. I get a piece of 5 stainless (my exhaust is 4) and roll it to an oval or preferably an ellipse section at the end. I install it oriented with the long axis of the ellipse parallel to the direction of travel. Once I get the height where I want it, I further fair the stack to the cab top/bed fairing. A very slick and unusual-looking alternative to regular stacks.

BTW, my truck don't need fixin'
What about dumping out through the body just in front of the tire?

06 F350 CC LB 4x4 with a few odds and ends
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 04:38 PM
PSN Local

Hey Dave what would you consider more Aerodinamic, Straight fastback that is bed width throught the whole lenght or a fastback that comes into a point?

I have been trying to make since of this and looking at other post and reading some It seems like the straight fastback (bed width) will do a better job at filling the vacum behind the truck (which is what kills the Cd). The one that comes to a point might be better if there wasn't about 2 more feet it needed to go down before getting together with the air under the truck. Brainstorming all this I even thought about putting a small spoiler (Like those that are used in vans with a huge negative angle of attack, for lift not downforce) to help the air go down.

If and when I do this I will probably do Fiberglass with a window in the back and maybe some
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 10:47 PM
MPG Moderator

At the speeds we drive, I don't think a point termination buys us much. Mine tapered in some but that was mostly to make it easier to make.

I would stay away from spoilers altogether. See the stuff I just posted in "For TheTonka." You really don't want induced drag.

Slammed 4"
Rugged Air Dam
315,000 miles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode