02 diesel mpg improvements - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
brandon

02 diesel mpg improvements

i have an 02 supercab 2wd 7.3 and i was wanting to know what would be the best way to increase fuel mileage without damaging your engine. I have 138000 on it and I have heard to use tuners, chips, intakes, exhausts. I am not a lead foot and it gets around 14/18 city highway but wondered if I could help that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 10:24 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: 02 diesel mpg improvements

Gauges, especially EGT, will tell you more about your driving. You may be using more fuel than you need to, especially in city driving, even if you're not a lead foot.
Aerodynamics will help greatly. I believe Dave experienced 1.5-2 mpg by covering his beds. I don't use mine often enough to really monitor the differences. If he posts here, you'll also notice the air dam in the front of his truck. in addition to that, he lowered it to reduce drag.
Is your truck an auto or manual trans?
Personally, I found that intake and exhaust helped. with an economy tune from a custom tuner, most will report an increase, and i'll be reporting my differences soon here.

Dan
96 Powerstroke: 6637, downpipe to dump exhaust, 140v IDM and a shift kit.

84 Honda Sabre V65 1100: pipes, jet kit and new tires. Faster than I think I'll ever need.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
brandon

it is an auto. i called around to check on exaust but i found that around here everyone is afraid of putting one on because a a catalytic con. which mine doesn't have. do you suggest a tuner with all of the gauges in it?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 11:16 PM
PSN Veteran

I run a straight pipe in one of the most liberal states of the union, and i've never been pulled over for not having "emissions equipment". buy whatever exhaust you like, it won't be an issue in the life of this truck IMO.
Good custom tuners (tony Wildman, DP tuner, Power hungry performance, Swamps diesel, Diesel innovations) will give you quite a bit more power, and some argue better mileage for the same driving characteristics.
Gauges are good to have, they help you know what's going on under the hood .
For an auto, I think tuning has more potential to help because it can alter shift points, line pressures, and torque converter lockup among other things.
If your question was meant to ask " do you suggest a tuner with integrated gauges" I would say I like one in particular- Power hungry performance's gryphon. the edge had some issues with PCM compatability...

http://dygytalworld.ehost-services13...e_Diesels.html
Bill and corey are great folks, and they'll take care of you. they're out of the office until the 23rd, but you can give them a call after the 23rd, and they'll help you with anything you need.
Corey also checks the forums, so maybe she'll pop in to say hi.

Dan

84 Honda Sabre V65 1100: pipes, jet kit and new tires. Faster than I think I'll ever need.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 03:34 AM Thread Starter
brandon

thanks for the info, i was considering going with the edge but now i don't think i will. thanks for your info, anything helps in making a decision
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 05:04 AM
PSN Veteran

Do some reading around here. You'll see that when the edge does work, it's very comparable to a custom tuner, but it doesn't seem all that uncommon that it doesn't.

Dan

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
brandon

i will look around

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode