Pulled some injectors yesterday that had LOTS of UMO ran thru them... - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Junior Mint

Pulled some injectors yesterday that had LOTS of UMO ran thru them...

I was messing w/ some stuff yesterday and I pulled out some injectors on my rig that have seen substantial used motor oil ran thru them, a couple of times at 100%!

The nozzles had a different crud on them than I'm use to seeing. It was like gritty carbon that was not stuck on the nozzle well. I'd bet the pistons have more of the same. I don't think it was critical and it might have went 100K miles like that for all I know. Also, it didn't like the few times I ran the oil at 100% so maybe if I had kept the oil at more reasonable %'s the carbon would not have been there.

I did pick up some used motor oil w/ quite a bit of water in it at one time and I developed a cold miss on one injector so I'm sure the P & Bs are scored. I'll get around to checking that sometime soon.

Anyways, I have a nice set of BDs that I hope to be running from here on out and I will use a bit more caution w/ using WMO thru them. Lower % UMO and no random oil that may be contaminated.

Of course if #2 goes up to $5/ gl again all bets are off!

I'm officially...Stroke-less.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 04:12 PM
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs

Re: Pulled some injectors yesterday that had LOTS of UMO ran thru them...

I guess the motor oil being thicker than diesel doesn't affect anything?

EMPIRE DIESEL, PERFORMANCE TRUCK PRODUCTS, CEN-TEX DIESEL PERFORMANCE, AND DIESEL INNOVATIONS

ALSO LOTS OF HELP FROM (IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER) TWISTED DIESEL PERFORMANCE, FCDP, ITP, MATT WITH GEARHEAD, ERIC WITH INNOVATIVE, DOUG WITH GOGO DIESEL, CASS WITH FULL FORCE DIESEL, AND SWAMP'S

2005 F350 Fat-Butt Truck
2004 ECSB Procharged F250
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 04:13 PM
PSN Veteran

did you filter and heat the oil?

Dan
96 Powerstroke: 6637, downpipe to dump exhaust, 140v IDM and a shift kit.

84 Honda Sabre V65 1100: pipes, jet kit and new tires. Faster than I think I'll ever need.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Junior Mint

The oil being thicker than #2 starts to have a noticable effect at start up, during cold months, and/or when running higher percentages.

So for instance, you can run 25% all day long and the rig actually runs better. Noticably smoother w/ no additional smoke.

BUt when you run high %s you get more smoke at start up and when you run really high %s (like higher than 80%) the engine almost seems to "load up" especially when you are stuck in traffic and can't generate any egts. It starts to feel like a 2 stroke that is getting putted around. But if you wail on the go pedal for a bit it will start to feel fine again. I assume that the low egts makes high %'s of UMO not vaporize completely.

I never filtered or heated the oil but I due have some pretty effective filtration built on to my rig.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 06:50 PM
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs

I wonder if it takes any additional toll on the fuel pump.

EMPIRE DIESEL, PERFORMANCE TRUCK PRODUCTS, CEN-TEX DIESEL PERFORMANCE, AND DIESEL INNOVATIONS

ALSO LOTS OF HELP FROM (IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER) TWISTED DIESEL PERFORMANCE, FCDP, ITP, MATT WITH GEARHEAD, ERIC WITH INNOVATIVE, DOUG WITH GOGO DIESEL, CASS WITH FULL FORCE DIESEL, AND SWAMP'S

2005 F350 Fat-Butt Truck
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 06:58 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post

I never filtered or heated the oil but I due have some pretty effective filtration built on to my rig.
This, IMO is a mistake. The kind of crap that ends up in oil is ugly. ask anyone who's done a blackstone (I think that's the name) analysis on their oil.
Personally, If I were running WMO in my truck it would be filtered to 1 Micron and then heated to get water out of it. and that's the only way I would run it in my truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imelmo View Post
It has to. Think about the differences in viscosity and weight.
and if it's not filtered? can you say Metal particles?

Dan
96 Powerstroke: 6637, downpipe to dump exhaust, 140v IDM and a shift kit.

84 Honda Sabre V65 1100: pipes, jet kit and new tires. Faster than I think I'll ever need.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Junior Mint

Quote:
Originally Posted by imelmo View Post

On a couple of really cold mornings when I ran high concentrations of UMO I heard the fuel pump complaining a little bit but my restriction gauge looked normal as did my fuel pressure.

Fleetguard FS1000 water seperator that even removes entrained/ emulsified water mounted before my fuel pump:

Fine FF fuel filter that filters down to 1 micron and can hold 42 grams of material:

So it was filtered it was just filtered on my truck.

I tell you this, Beddins has been running UMO, tranny oil, and even used transformer oil he was getting from the power company for years. He has stock AB injectors w/ something like 400K miles on them. Yes that truck is starting to run a little rough but he has saved 10s of thousands of dollars in fuel costs over the years and it would probably be running rough anyways by now.

At one time it was costing about $130 everytime I filled up w/ diesel and I ran enough UMO where I was getting the equivalent of 40 mpg cause I was only running about 25% diesel. I can go thru a set of injectors for less than $200 so the math works for me even though I think the injectors would run a long time on UMO.

I'm also telling you that if you just run 10-25% UMO the engine will run noticably better because modern fuel is so poor on lubricity.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 01:55 AM
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs

Interesting. I may have to look into this a little bit. I've got some friends that work at Easy Lube. That could save our roll-off company a #### load of money. Hmmm.....

2005 F350 Fat-Butt Truck
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 02:14 AM
PSN Veteran

I have a vegistroke kit that I bought a while back because I had 50 gallons of wvo lined up. Well after got the kit, I was told I couldn't have the oil anymore.

Anyways, I am now planning on running wmo, have about 100 gallons right now. Will having the wmo heated change anything? Was hoping to run about 90% or better.

03 E-350 7.3, forged rods, exhaust ported heads, comp 910's, 38R/47, 4.10LS, stealth twin pumps, 300cc hybrids from Swamps, h-11's, racerx trans and TC, Swamps tunes, water...
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 02:47 AM
MPG Moderator

I tend to agree that the problems came from getting too aggressive on the WMO percentage.

I've seen truly ancient engines that have run on 5% WMO for decades with no apparent ill effect.

2000 F-350 SC 4x2 6 speed
3.08 gears Gear Vendor Overdrive
Slammed 4"
Rugged Air Dam
315,000 miles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode