HORRIBLE mpg! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Angry HORRIBLE mpg!

Ok so I filled my truck up or the first time a few days ago (got the truck not too long ago) and I reset the trip button to calculate miles per tank. I flew through a quarter tank of fuel in 3 days just driving to work and back. A total of 38 miles. I also threw in some diesel kleen in the tank when i filled up. The gauge is exactly at 3/4 full. Now my question.. I have a very bad leak in my first coupler on the hot side of the turbo piping (to the intercooler) and I mean very bad! To the point if you put your finger where the hole is and someone revs the truck, you have to pull your hand away due to the pressure of air coming out.Now will this cause that much of a decrease in fuel mileage?! 5 miles per gallon? That's more than half the milage i should be getting. How?! And I'm always easy on the throttle. Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 03:47 AM
Diesel millwright

Re: HORRIBLE mpg!

Don't trust the gauge for partial readings. Fill up again and note how many miles you've put on since the first fill up to calculate the actual mileage. I always go by miles (km up here) per tank as my mileage. Put more miles on it before jumping to conclusions. I'm guessing you are getting some black smoke if your loosing boost? Also what is your truck?

E99 f350 lariat scsb 7.3L auto, 8" lift, 37" toyos, 4" diamond exhaust, boost and egt gauges, bullydog gt, dp f6, L99 rear seat swap, K&N cold air kit, more to come

88 5.0L gt 5spd convertable, lowered, 17's, flowmasters, centerforce clutch, more to come
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Well it smokes sometimes and that's Bc I have a sct tuner, I have a 5 inch exhaust too, it's a 2004 f250

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 09:07 PM
PSN Local

Boost leak will kill mileage performance, and turbo's because egt's go thru the roof.

Fix the boost leak

24v cummins swap into a superduty here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 07:55 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianell View Post
Boost leak will kill mileage performance, and turbo's because egt's go thru the roof.

Fix the boost leak
Agree 100%

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Tim

2001 F-250 Lariat CCSB, 4x4, 6 speed 221k, 4" Lift, 35" Toyo M/T's. F5 DP Tuner, DIY Intake, 4" Turbo back, Tank mods, ISSPRO's.

1996 F-350 CCLB 4x4 7.3 HD E40D 270k. DIY 6637 intake, 3" DP to 3.5" pipe with muffler, ISSPRO EV2 Pyro/Boost/Trans temp, PHP Phoenix 6 position.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 04:33 AM
International Coal Roller

Boost leak, thats your number one problem

02 250 CCLB, 6 spd, PHP Phoenix, ISSPROs, AFE/6637 intake, 4" DE straight exhaust, WW, coolant filter with ELC, AIH delete, ebpv delete, bellowed uppies, 4" on 35's and racelines
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 07:54 PM
PSN Newb

maybe get your injectors tested, a month ago I was getting about 8 miles per gallon with a lot of black smoke (unburned fuel) and got two of my injectors replaced by dieselogic, apparently injectors were releasing two much fuel volume. smart buy, saved me money in the long run, now im getting 13 mpg.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 05:36 AM
Kris

Keep it stupid simple.

If you know you have a problem, you should fix that problem before questioning why there are problems. A boost leak will drop your mileage, fix it!

2000 F-350 4x4, 7.3L/6 Speed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode