absolutely amazed how driving habits affect mpg! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

absolutely amazed how driving habits affect mpg!

I was getting about 14mpg no matter if I was in town or on the highway. This last tank, I decided to try as hard as I could to drive with the intent to get the best milage I could. Takingoff from a stop, iI would accelerate very slowly, sometimes taking over a mile to get to 60. On the highway, I would try to keep it around 65 or so. Anything much over 70, and aerodynamics take over. I was absolutely amazed to see that after calculating that tank, I was getting 20.4mpg! That's a difference of about 200 miles per tank! Suffice it to say, Iwill ccontinue to drive like a little old lady.

2001 xlt extended cab long bed 2wd auto
DIY 6637
Straight piped
hypertech max energy programmer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 06:18 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

Re: absolutely amazed how driving habits affect mpg!

hey i thought everyone took a good mile & 1/2 to get er up to 60! lol!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Farts are like a good bourbon, add a small touch of water to bring out the excellence."
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 06:18 PM
PSN Veteran

do this for a few tanks, average them, and let us know what you come up with....

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 06:19 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

that being said, i'm 15 city & 20 highway...

"Farts are like a good bourbon, add a small touch of water to bring out the excellence."
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 06:19 PM
PSN Veteran

200+ miles per tank added for driving like a gramma, really?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 06:21 PM
PSN Veteran

lie-o-meter or hand calculated?
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

That's hand calculated. Yes, about 200 miles more per tank. A difference of 6mpg times 38 galons. It's actually closer to 230 more miles.

2001 xlt extended cab long bed 2wd auto
DIY 6637
Straight piped
hypertech max energy programmer
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 05:48 PM
PSN Local

Depending on how full you get the tank each time, some of that improvement may just be false. As said earlier, run a few tanks to get an actual average. I have a hard time doing a full tank of freeway, or a full tank of towing, or a full tank of city. I usually tow something with every tank so it throws off my average. The 7.3 powerstroke is an easy 12-15-20, tow-city-highway, engine.

2000 F350 SRW, 4wd, CCSB, PSD
Lowered rear end to F250 height, 4" exhaust w/ muff, foil delete, AIH delete, Ford AIS intake, tru-cool trans cooler, autometer under dash pod and gauges, Mile Marker hubs, 04 headlights, soft tonneau

18' 10k rated PJ car hauler
26' 7500# Creekside RV Trailer
Kioti CK30 tractor
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 05:05 PM
MPG Moderator

On another forum dedicated to MPG, a Dodge Ram dude gets fabulous MPG, but he rarely drives more than 40 MPH.

He does appreciate the effect of what automotive engineers call the "road load equation." This equation calculates the HP a vehicle needs to maintain a given speed with various other factors involved. Weight, grade, tire, wheel bearing and drivetrain rolling resistance, etc. All that HP has to be made good by engine fuel burn.

With one exception, each factor's road load HP goes up proportionately with road speed.

That exception is aero drag which goes up with the cube of road speed.

It does not take an expert in differential calculus to tell you road load HP is minimum (zero) at V=0. to achieve this you've made what pilots call the "no-go decision."

But most of us have a truck to go somewhere. If a guy has the luxury of being able to drive around twenty under the limit, well good for him.

Myself I feel a MPG reached by driving slowly is a dishonest comparison. Very few people can get away with driving like granny.

On the other hand, if you drive as much as I do "driving it like you stole it" gets you tickets. The law of probabilities will catch up to you sooner or later.

So for MPG testing purposes there is only one rational and honest speed for comparison - the posted limit.

But if fuel cost is important to you and you have the time and patience to drive slow, by all means do so. It will increase your MPG, all else equal.

2000 F-350 SC 4x2 6 speed
3.08 gears Gear Vendor Overdrive
Slammed 4"
Rugged Air Dam
315,000 miles
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 05:08 PM
King Dingaling

for all your mileage questions...click here..

PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode