cracked intercooler hoses killing mpg - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Angry cracked intercooler hoses killing mpg

ok heres the prblm i have i was looking at my intercooler hoses an every1 of them has about a inch long crack in them im going to replace them but could this be why i cant get past 14 mpg wit my truck running it hard or babing it an thats running my dp on 80 eco?

1999 ford super duty ex cab short bed 4x4 dp-tuner f-5 lomp mod,80 econ,100,120 race,140 aggresive 4inch exaust to 6-inch tip non-wastegated housing upgrade from bts di-performance crossover line di-performance fuel tank mixing delete autometer gauges boost,trans,pyro custom made cold air intake.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 10:39 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: cracked intercooler hoses killing mpg

Yes that can cause mileage problems. You are losing boost, so you step on the gas pedal harder........................which uses more fuel. I had a friend with the same problem, so this is how I know.

2001 F-350 CC Drw, GT-4294/1.01, 200cc splits, AFE stage 2, custom fuel system, Rickson 19.5's, many more mods.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 10:47 PM
MPG Moderator

Easy way to tell. Are you smoking? If so, you need more air. If not, don't worry about it.

Since you have gauges, I assume you have a pyrometer. Keep the EGT (pre) below 600 and your RPM below 2000, and your MPG will improve.

2000 F-350 SC 4x2 6 speed
3.08 gears Gear Vendor Overdrive
Slammed 4"
Rugged Air Dam
315,000 miles

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

yeah its bad smokey even on my 80 eco it roles black alot of black if im going down the highway at 60 mph an punch it i will cover the car up behind me lol.

1999 ford super duty ex cab short bed 4x4 dp-tuner f-5 lomp mod,80 econ,100,120 race,140 aggresive 4inch exaust to 6-inch tip non-wastegated housing upgrade from bts di-performance crossover line di-performance fuel tank mixing delete autometer gauges boost,trans,pyro custom made cold air intake.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 12:49 AM
WV Smoker

If you want some cheap but durable replacement boots go to a tractor trailer supply place and ask for 3" radiator hose. They'll cut to length most places. This stuff is pretty tough, probably about 3/16" thick. If you have an intercooler that can be a little tough because those ends are around 3.5", I think. There, just heat them up and use some soapy water and slide them on. That's all I use and have had them up to around 55psi no problem.

I believe www.dieselsite.com has a leakdown tester if you want to be sure first.

Zack

early '99 F-350 reg. cab 6-speed 106,000 miles
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

ok cool i might try them i need somthing an im not going back with the factory ones lol.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 10:43 PM
What else?

Send a message via AIM to smokyred

If the originals lasted 10 years, I doubt you'll have a problem getting new factory boots to work another 10 years. Do you think you'll even still have the truck then?

Dave

'08 F250 6.4/Torqshift Spartan 310EL, Flo-Pro 4", White_monster air intake, RCD 4-link, RS9000's 584/1330

Taking a break from trucks to play with guns!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode