Tubular headers, ceramic coating, and large exhaust housings... - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Tubular headers, ceramic coating, and large exhaust housings...

It seems to me that when you're making a Gasser get better mileage, you want to reduce exhaust backpressure...
Why wouldnt this apply to diesels too?
I do understand that if you're driving for economy, backpressure is nearly non-existent , but what about those of us that enjoy our torque on a more frequent basis?
I've read that the stock OBS turbocharger has an approximate drive/boost ratio of 2:1. this would mean to me that most of the time, i'm under 10 psi of backpressure, but on occasion (assuming the ratio above is reasonably accurate) I could hit as much as 50 psi of backpressure... not good for fuel economy. ( yes, i realize that the heavy right foot is worse, but...)
I think that maximizing for economy should include those of us with little self control.
so- i've been thinking, of three things.
First: I've heard that Tubular headers greatly reduce spoolup time, and some say backpressure. I have heard that they also may improve economy. My only source so far is Jon_Ford (sp?) on here. Has anyone else used these? if so, what was your experience?
Second: Ceramic coatings. Ive heard these also reduce spoolup time by keeping exhaust heat in the exhaust.
third: Larger Exhaust housings. I understand that spoolup would be reduced with these, but you'd also have lower backpressure. Has anyone put a larger housing on?
another question on that topic- has anyone ever put on a performance turbo, such as the D66 or QSSB and gained mileage?
I understand that these may not make near the difference as just slowing down, or putting a aero-bed cap on, but sometimes, i just cant help but mash the pedal and listen to the turbo, engine and wind.

Dan
96 Powerstroke: 6637, downpipe to dump exhaust, 140v IDM and a shift kit.

84 Honda Sabre V65 1100: pipes, jet kit and new tires. Faster than I think I'll ever need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 12:56 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Tubular headers, ceramic coating, and large exhaust housings...

I put a big arse charger on with stock sticks and ran it for almost one year. Nearly no change in mileage, great reduction in egt's. Little more laggy but way better up top.

Now with larger injectors the mileage is almost the same if not slightly better. 17.5-18 highway. Don't get me wrong, I can use some fuel if I want to but it has not really changed the mileage to double the available hp.

Long story short, there is a great advantage to a larger turbo.

2008 F-250 SCLB Larait.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

did you have the 70mm T4 in your sig with stock sticks???

Dan

84 Honda Sabre V65 1100: pipes, jet kit and new tires. Faster than I think I'll ever need.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 01:04 AM
you want some of this?

I may be wrong, but the headers seemed to help mine out.

All new engine, but it spools way better, gets a tad better mileage, and runs great.

Got mine here ..
http://www.dieselinnovations.com/di....ts&product=116

Nice pieces.
Had all bolts, gaskets, and so far no leaks at all.
I got the coated ones. Wish I had time to recoat the turbo, and uppipes, and all between, but to late now!

2000 f-350 cc lb dually 4x4, BTS transmission
[email protected] 90 mph on MT mud tires and 8,000 #
coming soon--97 cc lb 4x4

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 01:15 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondarychaos View Post
did you have the 70mm T4 in your sig with stock sticks???
Yes for almost one year, lots of miles, probably 30K or so.

2008 F-250 SCLB Larait.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Have you noticed any top end power loss? Jonford mentioned something about this, but didnt elaborate.

Dan

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 01:40 AM
PSN Veteran

Thats what I did it for, top end power gain. The smaller turbos lack seriously in high rpm power. night and day diff up top with a larger turbo.

2008 F-250 SCLB Larait.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Sorry, i should have been more clear.
Yes, the big turbo would help the top end, but
would the ceramic coated headers limit top end?

Dan

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 09:24 PM
What else?

Send a message via AIM to smokyred

The coated headers would help top end because the exhaust under high pressure could flow more smoothly throught them. The factory manifolds are more restrictive than the aftermarket headers.

I guess my question to the OP is this: How much are you willing to spend to see an unknown gain (if any) in mileage? Headers and coatings would be $2k+, that's alot of driving to pay back off in mileage gains.

Also, the stock OBS turbo is fairly efficient as long as you keep it under 35psi or so, no need to put on a larger exhaust housing, if they even make one. I actually saw a gain in low speed mileage when I had a smaller turbine housing on my OBS turbo. On the highway, it was the same, it just ran more boost.

Bottom line is every truck is different, so you'll have to find what best helps your truck get better mileage. Mine gets it's best mileage in a hot tune.

Dave

'08 F250 6.4/Torqshift Spartan 310EL, Flo-Pro 4", White_monster air intake, RCD 4-link, RS9000's 584/1330

Taking a break from trucks to play with guns!

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Umm... I can make the tube part for 3 or 4 hundred, and i have a quote in my email for a inside and out 1700*F ceramic coating that says 335, plus i take care of shipping. how do you come up with 2k?
and the way i see it, i plan to modify my truck quite a bit. if i can do it where i'm getting power and economy out of it, i'm going to.

Dan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode