Effect of ULSD fuel on Mileage??? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
An Ancient view on life

Location: Houston, Texas wishing I was on the Pig farm in Iowa
Effect of ULSD fuel on Mileage???

When ULSD fuel first came out is seemed like I was down about 1 to 2 mpg. Now, I seem to have basiclly recovered most of that loss. Anyone else with that experience?

JonFord

[SIGPIC]
1997 F-250 CC
Banks intercooler-6 position Chip and BlownAway Headers from DI

URL=
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
src="
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
border="0" alt="" />[/URL]

2003 VW Jetta TDI-----50 mpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 02:01 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Effect of ULSD fuel on Mileage???

I have not noticed my mileage going back up any but it could just be all those miles on my truck.

99.5 F-350 SRW 6 speed mods:PHP live tuned., MSD propane system, snow water injection,DDP stage 1 injectors,AFE stage II air intake,ITP boost regulater,3.5 turbo back exaust,FASS fuel system. Gulf Coast oil bypass filtration, ITP reg. return, HPX oil line , GTP 38r with 1.15,EBPV delete. 430,000 miles,Adrenaline HPOP
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 03:06 AM
blame the dog..

yeah, because it came out in the late fall, so it hit as "winter blend"

Quote:
This site needs new newbs.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 12:55 PM
blame the dog..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLDickmon View Post
yeah, because it came out in the late fall, so it hit as "winter blend"
which reminds me..
my last tank-up seemed to be off a little... (only got 470 miles vs the usual 500) so I'm thinkin' they might be running the winter stuff already

Quote:
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
An Ancient view on life

I can see that in Michigan, but I am not sure we get the winter fuel here in Houston.

Mine most diffenatly went down when I had to start using the ULSD. I just love the EPA.

I'll call today and see what they do to us.

JonFord

[SIGPIC]
1997 F-250 CC

URL=
src="

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 04:29 PM
PSN Newb

I think i lost 2-4 mpg's across the board damn greenies.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 12:28 PM
PSN Veteran

Aug - Oct '07 I averaged 20 - 21 mpg with my F-250 cc.
Nov '07 I put in Stage-1 injectors (which act like stock, in stock chip setting) and a Dana 60 in the front and full F-350 suspension accessories, which raised the front of the truck about 1" and the rear about 2".
May '08 I added new BFG AT 265 tires and I now see a best average of 17.5 mpg.
The tires I replaced were 235 and worn badly. I have a hard time believing the mods I did have affected mileage that much. ??? It just seems like the fuel is different.
I could be wrong, but otherwise that means raising an already tall truck 1" and adding tires that are about 3/8" wider sucks up 3 mpg more. I just don't see that...
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
An Ancient view on life

We need a SCF to step in here to explain BTU's and all that technical stuff. Why should reducing sulphur cause a loss of MPG?? Or did it???????

I do know that soot levels are lower now with the advent of ULSD.

I am now getting back slightly above my previous MPG level in town, but I now have tires that ride like concrete, looking at every tail light in town and acting my age. That is a real first. lolololm

******For you unfamiliar with my use of SCF, it means a well educated guy , usually a lot younger that me , and starts with Smart College. You can fill in the last word, but is normally associated with fun bedroom activity.*******

[SIGPIC]
1997 F-250 CC

URL=
src="

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 12:37 PM
blame the dog..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZL JIM View Post
Aug - Oct '07 I averaged 20 - 21 mpg with my F-250 cc.
Nov '07 I put in Stage-1 injectors (which act like stock, in stock chip setting) and a Dana 60 in the front and full F-350 suspension accessories, which raised the front of the truck about 1" and the rear about 2".
May '08 I added new BFG AT 265 tires and I now see a best average of 17.5 mpg.
The tires I replaced were 235 and worn badly. I have a hard time believing the mods I did have affected mileage that much. ??? It just seems like the fuel is different.
I could be wrong, but otherwise that means raising an already tall truck 1" and adding tires that are about 3/8" wider sucks up 3 mpg more. I just don't see that...
Jim, you usually loose MPG when you put on new tires due to the increased drag from tread flex.. plus you went wider.. I can see it happening..

Quote:
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 03:52 PM
PSN Local

I noticed a drop in mileage after the implementation of the ULSD. Pre-ULSD I was able to get about 19 mpg on the highway with a stock truck, now after ULSD and all the mods in the sig, I can only get in the low 18's, so it definately lowers the mileage. When the sulfur is removed, the energy content that is in sulfur is also removed, so now there is less energy per unit of fuel than before, that is why the mileage will go down with the ULSD. I am not a mechanical engineer, but I did have one thermodynamic class, and it all has to do with energy, and entropy, and blah blah blah...Basically there is just less juice in the diesel now.

2003 7.3 XLT FX4, AFE Stage 2, Regulated Return, Bowl Delete, 3/8" line from tank to heads, Pre/Post Filters, Tank mods, DP F5: 60T, 80E, 120R, 6.0 IC, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Suncoast Shift Kit, Wicked Wheel, ITP Boost Annihilator, Di Procol Optix, Straight Pipe, CCV, 285/75/16 BFG AT's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode