Mpg difference when going from standard bed to flatbed? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Mpg difference when going from standard bed to flatbed?

Hello y'all, I'm just looking to see if any of y'all who have went from a standard bed to a flat bed noticed any mpg changes for the worse or better? My truck is a 2000 supercab shorty, but I'm in need of a bed mines falling apart due to rust. Anyway I am thinking about building a flat bed for it. It won't be huge or heavy. It won't stick out past the cab on the sides or top but mabey an inch. It will only out wiegh the stock bed by about 200 pounds if that. But with that changing the aerodynamics of the truck I figured it would either hurt it or help it just not sure which one. A flatbed would defiantly be more useful to me and I love tabbing stuff up so that's why I'm contemplating this. It's gonna be about 700 dollars worth of materials vs about 2500 ish for a decent bed and paint to match.

But anyone who did this conversion let me know if your mileage went down,

Btw I get over 18 mpg with the stock bed with a cover on it... I just don't want to completely destroy my fuel mileage and end up getting 15 mpg because I ruinined the aerodynamics!

2000 f250 ECSB Dually 4.10s 305/70/16, 4x4 7.3 zf6 200k miles
Php hydra chip PHP tuned! 4" exhaust, stock turbo(ww2, turbomaster wastage actuator, gutted ebpv), FRX, 160/30 sticks SB 1939-CB single clutch, home brew water setup for when i'm pulling hay through the mountains.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 10:05 PM
PSN Newb

Re: Mpg difference when going from standard bed to flatbed?

I built a flat bed for mine last summer due to the same issue and i get around 20mpg in the summer. I would say i gained a mile or two

02 7.3
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
powerstroke
4" cat back to dual 5" miter cuts
6637, foil delete, superchip, fisher mm2 plow
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 10:52 PM
The Sound Of Madness

This doesn't answer your question but I read on here last year that putting a flat bed on can lower your insurance rate on the truck because it's harder to damage. Just something else to look into and think about.

L99 SCSB 7.3 4x4 AEM intake, 5" straight pipe, 6pos Gearhead chip, Autometer gauges, Firestone bags, ATD Built tranny, Smoked lights, 15% tint, WW, Mr. Bobs boots & hoses, Leveled, Moto Metals
'02 F-250 RCLB 5.4 XL Plow truck
05 F-250 SCSB 6.0 XLT Plow truck

Remember kids, chrome wont get you home

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Thanks for the tip! Ill talk to the insurance man for sure if I do it! Thanks.

Php hydra chip PHP tuned! 4" exhaust, stock turbo(ww2, turbomaster wastage actuator, gutted ebpv), FRX, 160/30 sticks SB 1939-CB single clutch, home brew water setup for when i'm pulling hay through the mountains.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Any one got a picture of a shortbed supercab with a flatbed? I think it would look decent?

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 03:49 PM
PSN Local

When I put a flatbed on my 95' OBS I didn't notice a difference at all.. Maybe 1-2 mpg, but nothing noticeable. It's a pro-line flatbed as well.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 08:43 PM
PSN Local

Gained going from flatbed to regular bed on another truck. Pretty sure the exposed flat edges on the bed are what did it. Bit to the sides, bit above the cab, killed arodynamics.

24v cummins swap into a superduty here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 09:37 PM
Administrator

they say the aerodynamic down fall on a pickup is the back of the cab and this is why the tailgate down theory to increase MPG was busted

I say the flatbed will weigh more and may like mentioned add drag due to no bedsides

so I would say less MPG if even noticeable at all

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 02:35 AM
PSN Newb

Supposedly there is increased aerodynamics with the tailgate up due to a large vortex being made.. I have read that the side mirrors are the biggest culprit for decreased aerodynamics through a substantial increase in drag.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 03:32 PM
Administrator

that is what I have read also

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in