Tested a few mods, Great miliage.. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
CSAR Bish

Tested a few mods, Great miliage..

So I did a trip from Albuquerque to Phoenix last week, and i figured this would do for testing the mods out.. So the front of the power stroke was lowerd 3 inches and I built an air dam onto the bumper close to was Dave done but 2.5 inches off the ground, its 3/8th convayor belt material with no subframe yet.. So I depart Albuquerque and set the cruise control at 70mph 2k rpm and sit back for the run with a full fuel load. I took I40 most of the way and then the GPS told me to go through the National forest straight through the deep Rocky Mountains.. I decide to keep the speed the same and the cruise control on, never once did it down shift going up on the grades and it was running cool, I turned the AC on once I came out of the mountains because it was getting God awful hot out.. I roll in to Phoenix with still half the rear tank and 500 miles on the odometer, I also forgot to mention that I had about 75-80 miles on the odometer before even leaving from driving around town.. I was honestly shocked at that point in time so I kept driving around Phoenix (in town) untill I needed to fill up.. I called it when the gauge dropped to 1/8th or so tank and 590miles, so I got fuel, I took on 27gals of diesel for $3.49.. 22 Flippn miles to the gallon in a 97 F-350 CC Dually, you have no idea how awsome this is, ive never got this type of miles before, so now Im amped about doing the side skirts once I lower the rear down.. So after thinking about this, if there were no mountain range do you think it was possible to get about 24mpg out of this old truck and or even more with using no cruise control? Other things that I done prior to the trip was I removed my bug shield and removed my fiberglass full length running boards so I can start planning for the sheet metal/conveyor belt skirts, also I still have a sun visor on the dually also..

97' F-Tree Fity CC Dually, Lowerd 3/5inches, 4 inch Borla side dump prior to the duals, 6 position TS performance chip, DIY intake, home built engine brake, on board GPS and internet, custom interior
Compitition Rock Buggy, Tube chassis, 37s, air shocks, full hydro.. A load of fun
06' American Manufacture 18' dove tail trailer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 12:03 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Tested a few mods, Great miliage..

No way you paid $3.49 for #2...
It's still $4.59 here at the cheapest station...
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 07:45 PM
Cute and cuddly boys!

Send a message via Yahoo to mazdaparts

Thats awesome MPG.

2002 F250 Crewcab Shortbed 4X4 Totaled 6/16/12
2000 Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4

There are 2 rules to getting ahead.
Rule #1. Don't tell anyone everything you know.

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
CSAR Bish

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZL JIM View Post
No way you paid $3.49 for #2...
It's still $4.59 here at the cheapest station...
Believe it, in Phoenix it was cheap, hell its between $3.69-$3.89 here in Albuquerque

97' F-Tree Fity CC Dually, Lowerd 3/5inches, 4 inch Borla side dump prior to the duals, 6 position TS performance chip, DIY intake, home built engine brake, on board GPS and internet, custom interior
Compitition Rock Buggy, Tube chassis, 37s, air shocks, full hydro.. A load of fun
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 10:54 PM
MPG Moderator

Outstanding XTremXJ, oustanding!

I'm sure the mountains cost you at least 2 MPG.

Keep your running boards. They make a good mounts for side skirts.

2.5" sounds A-OK. If I were doing it again, thats about what I would leave.

Have somebody drive you and your truck along the Interstate side-by-side. See it the conveyor belt air dam flutters. If not, you don't need a subframe. I put a little curvature and two small aluminum plates to stiffen the sides and mine, low as it is, doen't flutter.

Get greedy! Stick it to OPEC. You have more scope for improvement. Ever thought about a tonneau cover?

2000 F-350 SC 4x2 6 speed
3.08 gears Gear Vendor Overdrive
Slammed 4"
Rugged Air Dam
315,000 miles
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
CSAR Bish

I desided to remove the running boards after looking hard at them, torwards the rear on the dually and on the sides around the wheel wells the running boards looked as to be scooping air and pulling it under.. I was also getting tired of seeing cracks in the fiberglass from use and people jumping on them, so I decided it was time.. What I plan on doing once I lower the rear is attach angle iron to the rockers and attach sheet metal halfway to the ground for the rest of the length of the truck and then hang the rest to the ground with the conveyor belt material, of course that percentage may change once I see it lowerd.. For the front air dam I was able to veiw it by driving by a very clean mini van and seeing the reflextion, there was very limited movement because I curved it around the bumper, BTW mine is bolted to the back / bottom of the bumper, I will add a center brace to push the center out a little more to help split the air flow..

For now Im looking at tonneau cover, but Im looking at building a fast back shell similar to yours in the near future, but I will use my existing camper shell.. I have a high rise shell (bought it dirt cheap) and Im looking at cutting it and refiberglassing it and adding a large cargo door, basically like what the one guy did with the F150 prototype shell of yours, but I will have a few other tricks up my sleeve to add to it, like being able to still hook up a goose neck with out removing the shell and will then help make the front of the trailer aerodynamic also..

post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 05:03 AM Thread Starter
CSAR Bish

I also forgot to mention I ran the Marine 2 stroke oil 1oz to 1gal mixture, been doing that mix for a year now

post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 01:46 PM
blame the dog..

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTrmXJ View Post
I also forgot to mention I ran the Marine 2 stroke oil 1oz to 1gal mixture, been doing that mix for a year now
your marine oil mix is too rich.. you could halve that and still get the benefit (which is injector lubrication)..

I never thought about mounting side skirts to the running boards... I knew I was leaving them on for a reason (I pulled the shin knockers off my daughters truck but left the brackets in case I wanted to do something with them.. Good Idea!)
I bought a piece of UHMW plastic to do my air dam with; I'm waiting untill we get in the new house which I'll have a heated shop to tinker around with this stuff with..

Quote:
This site needs new newbs.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 02:46 AM Thread Starter
CSAR Bish

I will try the 1/2 oz on the next load of fuel then, and see what happens.. I still need to get around to lowering the rear, things just come up and it gets pushed to the following weekends, hopfully this weekend then I will start working on the side skirts

post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 02:53 AM
MPG Moderator

If you do side skirts give them about 2.5 or 3 inches clearance. On these long-wheelbase vehicles they drag more than I thought with my 1.5 inch clearance.

2000 F-350 SC 4x2 6 speed
3.08 gears Gear Vendor Overdrive
Slammed 4"
Rugged Air Dam
315,000 miles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode