As I Had Always Thought - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
MPG Moderator

As I Had Always Thought

Let me start out with the observation that the prices of gasoline and diesel are high. Obviously the price of crude has a big effect.

What I want to zero in on is the fact that diesel fuel costs eighty cents a gallon more than regular unleaded (or premium for that matter) gasoline. The US is pretty much alone in that difference.

This table is in euros.

http://gasoline-germany.com/internat...ml?changeto=EN

From the link:

England
91 Octane Gasoline: €1.34
Diesel: €1.22
Spread: Gasoline is 10% more expensive than diesel

France
91 Octane Gasoline: €1.39
Diesel: €1.32
Spread: Gasoline is 5% more expensive than diesel

Japan
91 Octane Gasoline: €0.97
Diesel: €0.75
Spread: Gasoline is 29% more expensive than diesel

Australia
91 Octane Gasoline: €0.94
Diesel: €1.18
Spread: Gasoline is 26% more expensive than diesel

Germany
91 Octane Gasoline: €1.43
Diesel: €1.33
Spread: Gasoline is 18% more expensive than diesel

But at my local gas station
91 Octane Gasoline: $3.83
Diesel: $4.45
Spread: Diesel is 16% more expensive than premium gasoline

So let’s put the myth - that the spread of diesel over gasoline has anything whatsoever to do with world demand - down as being busted. In most countries that tend to prefer diesel cars, diesel is less expensive than gasoline. But in the US the reverse is true.

There is only one plausible reason: Ultra-Low (15 ppm) Sulfur Fuel is required ONLY in the US. It costs more money to remove the sulfur. This relationship was not true at all in 2006, prior to the advent of ULSD requirements. Gasoline and diesel cost roughly the same (gasoline was more expensive in summer, diesel more expensive in winter) prior to ULSD.

Diesel in the US is more expensive than gasoline and you can exclusively thank the EPA.

2000 F-350 SC 4x2 6 speed
3.08 gears Gear Vendor Overdrive
Slammed 4"
Rugged Air Dam
315,000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 11:45 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: As I Had Always Thought

FWIW I do business with someone in Australia, and he said #2 is about $1.90 per liter, MUCH higher than your 1.18...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 02:27 PM
<-- it's like that

Quote:
So let’s put the myth - that the spread of diesel over gasoline has anything whatsoever to do with world demand - down as being busted. In most countries that tend to prefer diesel cars, diesel is less expensive than gasoline. But in the US the reverse is true.

There is only one plausible reason: Ultra-Low (15 ppm) Sulfur Fuel is required ONLY in the US. It costs more money to remove the sulfur. This relationship was not true at all in 2006, prior to the advent of ULSD requirements. Gasoline and diesel cost roughly the same (gasoline was more expensive in summer, diesel more expensive in winter) prior to ULSD.

Diesel in the US is more expensive than gasoline and you can exclusively thank the EPA.
Actually I saw a report (gotta try and find it again) about diesel and jet fuel pricing. Oil companies are over-inflating the prices of diesel and jet fuel to compensate for the lower prices of gasoline (lower prices relatively speaking ). They feel that "passing the buck" to businesses instead of consumers keeps them from looking like the evil big oil corporations in the eyes of the public, especially with the election year. If I can find it, it shows the net profits of gasoline shrinking over the past year, and the profits of diesel and jet fuel growing tremendously. And these were net profits, so refining costs were already factored in.

ULSD is still cheaper to process than regular unleaded, but more expensive than it used to be before the introduction of ULSD. Also some of those foreign countries produce diesel with the same or similar PPM as our fuel. And in case you were wondering, we do export diesel to Japan, and look at how much cheaper diesel is there compared to gasoline.

Curtis
2002 F-250 PSD
Gambling with 250/200's on PMR's.
478hp/851tq on Haller's dyno - 7/28/12
Your connection to the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 03:33 PM
blame the dog..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket View Post
Actually I saw a report (gotta try and find it again) about diesel and jet fuel pricing. Oil companies are over-inflating the prices of diesel and jet fuel to compensate for the lower prices of gasoline (lower prices relatively speaking ). They feel that "passing the buck" to businesses instead of consumers keeps them from looking like the evil big oil corporations in the eyes of the public, especially with the election year. If I can find it, it shows the net profits of gasoline shrinking over the past year, and the profits of diesel and jet fuel growing tremendously. And these were net profits, so refining costs were already factored in.

ULSD is still cheaper to process than regular unleaded, but more expensive than it used to be before the introduction of ULSD. Also some of those foreign countries produce diesel with the same or similar PPM as our fuel. And in case you were wondering, we do export diesel to Japan, and look at how much cheaper diesel is there compared to gasoline.
and then we have this
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,366601,00.html

Quote:
This site needs new newbs.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
MPG Moderator

I never have figured out how people can think that complex EPA regs can be complied with without incurring large costs.

Slammed 4"
Rugged Air Dam
315,000 miles
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 05:37 AM
<-- it's like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Whitmer View Post
I never have figured out how people can think that complex EPA regs can be complied with without incurring large costs.
There are additional costs thanks to ULSD, that is true. But for the refinery process, it's still cheaper to produce ULSD than it is regular unleaded. There are many more forces at work here than just the EPA.

Curtis
2002 F-250 PSD
Gambling with 250/200's on PMR's.
478hp/851tq on Haller's dyno - 7/28/12
Your connection to the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 03:21 PM
PSN Local

The EPA has my focus because ULSD was not necessary. There are even more diesel engines available world wide, but, because of the EPA's agenda, they are not allowed here. I do not subscribe to their religion, nor should I have to.

Dave
2005 E350 6.0PSD
2003 Excursion Limited 4WD 7.3PSD - Sold
1996 E350SD dually 7.3PSD - Gone!

2002 VW Jetta TDI - stock
2007 Escape Hybrid
1999 Kaw KLR650 - 17/42 gearing
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 08:04 AM
PSN Local

Send a message via AIM to Spanky is my Bro

Correct for taxes and you'll find a different story. It isn't a vast conspiracy.

[SIGPIC]http://www.fmjmotorsports.com/fmj_com_crop.jpg[/SIGPIC]
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 03:24 AM
PSN Local

Send a message via AIM to Spanky is my Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZL JIM View Post
FWIW I do business with someone in Australia, and he said #2 is about $1.90 per liter, MUCH higher than your 1.18...
Live rates at 2008.08.24 02:22:03 UTC
1.18 EUR

=

2.01028 AUD
Euro Australia Dollars
1 EUR = 1.70362 AUD 1 AUD = 0.586984 EUR

it's taxes. diesel and gas are not taxed at the same rates everywhere

[SIGPIC]http://www.fmjmotorsports.com/fmj_com_crop.jpg[/SIGPIC]
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
MPG Moderator

No doubt taxes play a part, but US diesel taxes didn't jump up 80 cents a gallon in 2007. But diesel fuel does have to be run through the hydrodesulfurization unit TWO MORE passes than in 2006. Do you think that extra processing comes for free?

Slammed 4"
Rugged Air Dam
315,000 miles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode