My plan for my truck, whats your thoughts/changes? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 03:54 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

My plan for my truck, whats your thoughts/changes?

My truck is a stock 03 2wd crew dually with 4:10 axle. I bought this truck with a bad engine to flip it. Then i drove it over 6 thousand miles so far and couldnt believe the mpgs i was getting as stock so i am keeping it. Most of my driving is 85% highway, going 60 on a calm day this truck is getting 20.3-21.6 mpg per tank. At 70 mph i am getting 17.1-19.9 mpg per tank. These are all hand calculated. I am almost scared to touch it but i am going to anyhow. I know this truck has the latest ficm/ecm updates from ford, they updated them when i had them program the ficm when the engine was changed. Here are my plans as it stands:

Exhaust, muffler and particulate filter delete or full turbo back, what size?

Ficm/ecm rollback

gear vendors overdrive, i already have the unit i just need to get a correct adapter

switch to paddle mirrors i dont pull enclosed trailers anyhow just open car trailers

already have a hard tonneau cover installed

synthetic fluids with my next oil change

raise tire pressure to 80 psi

A tune but which one?

I dont plan to delete the egr cooler at this time as its brand new along with the oil cooler when the engine was installed. i dont know if an egr delete would help mpg's anyway.

I know i am forgetting a couple things but i am stuck in bed with pnemonia right now so this is helping get my mind off of it. Anyhow any input would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 02:26 AM
MPG Moderator

Re: My plan for my truck, whats your thoughts/changes?

You shouldn't have a particulate filter on an 03.Unless your EBPV issticking, exhaust (and intake) do nothing forMPG.

If you already have the GV unit, I say install it. I use mine as a 7th gear and it works great. Check with your favorite automatic tranny dude. Tht GV will slow down the engine and TC by 22%. This may not move enough ATF to avoid huge tranny failures.

If you have E rated tires 80 psi is a no-brainer.

Syntheticil is nice. I use Amsoil and their bypass filter setup. I go 75,000 miles on an oil change, but I haven't noticed any MPG improvement from it.

Get Bob Riley's 203 degree thermostat.

Paddle mirrors are a good idea.

Since your truck is not an egregious fuel hog, I don't think tunes will help much. Several PSN sponsors do this and you might contact them.

Lowering the truck will gain you 1.0 MPG. 4x2 can do but 4x4 cannot.

2000 F-350 SC 4x2 6 speed
3.08 gears Gear Vendor Overdrive
Slammed 4"
Rugged Air Dam
315,000 miles
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Whitmer View Post
You shouldn't have a particulate filter on an 03.Unless your EBPV issticking, exhaust (and intake) do nothing forMPG.

If you already have the GV unit, I say install it. I use mine as a 7th gear and it works great. Check with your favorite automatic tranny dude. Tht GV will slow down the engine and TC by 22%. This may not move enough ATF to avoid huge tranny failures.

If you have E rated tires 80 psi is a no-brainer.

Syntheticil is nice. I use Amsoil and their bypass filter setup. I go 75,000 miles on an oil change, but I haven't noticed any MPG improvement from it.

Get Bob Riley's 203 degree thermostat.

Paddle mirrors are a good idea.

Since your truck is not an egregious fuel hog, I don't think tunes will help much. Several PSN sponsors do this and you might contact them.

Lowering the truck will gain you 1.0 MPG. 4x2 can do but 4x4 cannot.
Its either a cat or a filter, i didnt think the 03's had cats. Does the 203 thermostat help mpgs? I am still thinking on lowering it but i do tow about 12,000 pounds from time to time so i dont know if thats a good idea or not. The GV unit shouldnt be a concern rpm wise on my truck as it has the 4:10 axle under it. I turn 2200 now at 70 so i will still be turning 1700+ with the GV.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 09:05 PM
PSN Local

I suspect that you have a 6.0 liter engine since you mention the FICM. Just to be clear. Not sure that some things like the 203 stat are available for the 6 liter.

2000 F350 SRW, 4wd, CCSB, PSD
Lowered rear end to F250 height, 4" exhaust w/ muff, foil delete, AIH delete, Ford AIS intake, tru-cool trans cooler, autometer under dash pod and gauges, Mile Marker hubs, 04 headlights, soft tonneau

18' 10k rated PJ car hauler
26' 7500# Creekside RV Trailer
Kioti CK30 tractor
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Yes i have a 6.0 on my 03

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode