Very pleased with 7.3 mileage, thanks PHP - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Very pleased with 7.3 mileage, thanks PHP

I did my annual NY to FL trip and I am very impressed with my fuel mileage. All these tanks are hand calculated and filled to where diesel fills the neck. I have owned this truck for 10 years and just turned 100k and am very familiar with its fuel mileage. Since changing to the php chip, with the 80DD, I have gained a solid 1-1.5 mpg on the highway.
526 miles -19.9 mpg
406.8 miles - 18.2 mpg
309.1 miles - 19.6 mpg
375.3 miles - 18 mpg
375.7 miles - 19.9 mpg
307.7 miles - 21.3 mpg - THIS IS A PERSONAL BEST. This tank is always the highest on the trip, but this was a full mpg higher than my average for this leg of the trip.

I mostly drove at 70-72 mph. The 21.3 tank was when I was driving back home in NJ, where traffic increased and speed was reduced to 65.
This is all with the stock tire size. I used to get an occassional 19. These fairly consistent higher 19s and occassional 20+ is down right fantastic to me. Granted, on I-95 those speeds are considered slow, but I don't care. I love the mileage.

2002 f-350 PSD, 4x4, cc short bed, 6spd, ccv mod, airdog, AIS filter, isspro ev and scangauges, detroit TT, ITP boost annihalator, ITP RR, bellowed up-pipes, ats housing, turbomaster, 3.5 dp magnaflow, very happy with ultra smooth and linear PHP 50t, 80DD and "whisper" tunes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 02:21 PM
PSN Newb

Re: Very pleased with 7.3 mileage, thanks PHP

Wow.......that is impressive. I have yet to reach 14 mpg on my truck with the PHP chip. In its defense I really haven't been on a road trip to see what it will do, but just driving around I am just under 14. I usually drive in the 80DD setting and try to keep my foot off of the pedal as much as possible. Also the engine only has about 3000 miles on a rebuild so I am hoping that as I get more miles on it, it will get better. I am sure that the cold weather has a lot to do with it also but we have had pretty mild winter here this year.

I am thinking now that my big mistake was to install the budget stage 2 rebuilt injectors. I am really thinking that they hurt more than help on the economy side of this. I pull trailers a lot and wanted that little extra power.

I would really be happy with 17 to 18 but really don't see that happening. We'll see.

2003 F250 Superduty Shortbed Crewcab 4x4, AT
Isspro gauges, EGT, Boost, Trans Temp
7.3 just rebuilt
Rosewood budget stage 2 injector rebuilds
PHP 6 position chip, Airaid intake
4" Banks exhaust, bellowed up-pipes
Wicked wheel, turbomaster
Adrenalin HPOP, FRX
EPV delete, IAH delete
315-75r16 BFG KO2s
Airlift air bags
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Re: Very pleased with 7.3 mileage, thanks PHP

I think my manual trans helps on those straight highway runs. But, the 80DD gives me great highway mileage. Plus the power is smooth and the motor is only a touch louder than stock. It is barely even noticeable. For someone who is not looking for something wild, but a nice punch with good economy, it is tough to beat.

2002 f-350 PSD, 4x4, cc short bed, 6spd, ccv mod, airdog, AIS filter, isspro ev and scangauges, detroit TT, ITP boost annihalator, ITP RR, bellowed up-pipes, ats housing, turbomaster, 3.5 dp magnaflow, very happy with ultra smooth and linear PHP 50t, 80DD and "whisper" tunes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode