Need help evaluating a heavy towing 7.3 setup. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Need help evaluating a heavy towing 7.3 setup.

Hey PSN, Im a newb... However, Ive got a 2000 2 wheel drive crewcab dually that I put 285000 miles on in 3.5 years. I got to know this truck really well. I hauled cars with it in the midwest and primarily from Philly to Joplin and Greenbay to Dallas. This truck saw an average load of 24k to 30k daily. The odometer says 436763! Same injectors, 2nd trans, same rear. Needless to say she made alot of money and Im attached. Now Its time to rebuild. Ill tell you how I got those miles out her later. Im going GTP38RR, 4"intake, crossover oil line, rebuilt long block with high temp coating on pistons and valves, TE hpop (single pump), 4" down 5" out the butt, new electric lift pump, cool mist water meth kit, PHP 6 program chip, aftermarket condenser (undecided yet), Stage 1 single shot sticks, Tuned down IDM, rebuilt trans with deep well pan, and considering changing to a 3.73 from a 4.10. Can you guys chime in and tell me if this makes sense to you. Thanx.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 02:18 AM
MPG Moderator

Re: Need help evaluating a heavy towing 7.3 setup.

It'll make more power and drink more fuel unless you slow down a lot.

2000 F-350 SC 4x2 6 speed
3.08 gears Gear Vendor Overdrive
Slammed 4"
Rugged Air Dam
315,000 miles
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Well, wut should I change? Nothings set in stone. Im aiming for the 13mpg mark.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 03:12 PM
MPG Moderator

Since you are in the market for a high-dollar rebuild, I have some suggestions that might save some $$$ and improved fuel mileage.

Unless you saw some very high EGTs before, Iíd forget the big exhaust.

Since you are mega high mileage, I assume you run the Interstate a lot. If MPG interests you, I would heartily recommend converting to a ZF6 manual transmission. I have football knees and have over 280k on the OEM clutch, although most guys feel there are some outstanding aftermarket clutches out there. (Iíll investigate when my OEM clutch wears out). Diesels are tough on automatics and the solid lockup a stick gives you will add 2 MPG easy. The 7.3 engine has plenty of torque.

Unless your old rig slowed down a lot over the mountains in PA, Iíd recommend leaving the 3.73 alone. You are too heavy for 3.55s and the 4.10 is a waste of money.

The big turbo wonít gain you anything.

Talk to Swamp Donkey about injectors. He is a PSN sponsor and Iíve found him quite sensible.

Unless you thought the old rig was a slug (apparently you didnít) mods that enhance reliability and easy maintenance (I recommend waterless coolant if you are going to rebuild the engine and definitely a new radiator and have the intercooler pressure tested and the pinholes welded up) are more worthwhile than HP-enhancing mods.

Slammed 4"
Rugged Air Dam
315,000 miles
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 02:13 AM
PSN Newb

Sound to me like you are asking for problems. As a toy all of that sounds good. Sounds to me like a three car set up. 4:10 or even 4:30 will make a huge difference (from experience) 4" exhaust wont bother you too much. 38r isnt too bad but you CAN hear it. I would leave the oil line at the store. 13 mpg loaded....not going to happen. What is your IFTA now? One of my trucks has stg 1's, built trans, 38r, RR, 6637, 4:30's ect and did just shy of 10 on 4th 1/4. this was with an ez loader though. 3 car on similar truck (no stage 1's) was a hair over 10. You need to find a tuner that has experience with car hauling. Live tuning will be your best and in my mind only tuning option. Good Luck - I have been down the road you are about to travel and regret every second of it.

2001 F350 towing a Tommy Aluminum wedge trailer everywhere it goes.
Gauges, DP Tuner, Bully Dog 4" exhaust, 6637, GTP38r, RFx, OCR, plenum inserts, upgraded transmission, Galaxy 44 with a Road King mic powered by a Texas Star 250 and Wilson 5000 antenna, lit up from front to back with LED's
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Wow, those are points I didn't even consider! How do u feel about the big oil as a measure for bottom end torque? The condenser deffinately is gone. I'm thinking an aftermarket 6.0 version. The manual is a definate good idea, but wut is involved in a conversion? I'll check w the guy on the sticks. I was advised that staying w stock split shots would be wise to avoid over heating issues. How about the slowed down idm? Aprreciate your input.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I dont run Ifta I can tell u most of the dot guys in ohio, missouri, and indiana from my big truck days. Illinois dots are a little lazy and Wisconsin truck cops don't really care(evidenced by the half open half closed inspection house north of Russell rd). Never got an over weight ticket. Ever.... Didn't say I ran like a hooker from a sting @ nite, did I? Lol... I just stay up on bettyz appearance know wut to leave for the stingers and plan my trips very carefully. Did I mention my log books. I mean book....?
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 03:14 AM
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBettyzPimp View Post
I dont run Ifta I can tell u most of the dot guys in ohio, missouri, and indiana from my big truck days. Illinois dots are a little lazy and Wisconsin truck cops don't really care(evidenced by the half open half closed inspection house north of Russell rd). Never got an over weight ticket. Ever.... Didn't say I ran like a hooker from a sting @ nite, did I? Lol... I just stay up on bettyz appearance know wut to leave for the stingers and plan my trips very carefully. Did I mention my log books. I mean book....?
And people wonder why hot shot rigs have a bad name.

2001 F350 towing a Tommy Aluminum wedge trailer everywhere it goes.
Gauges, DP Tuner, Bully Dog 4" exhaust, 6637, GTP38r, RFx, OCR, plenum inserts, upgraded transmission, Galaxy 44 with a Road King mic powered by a Texas Star 250 and Wilson 5000 antenna, lit up from front to back with LED's
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 01:07 PM
MPG Moderator

"Big Oil" (high capacity HPOP) won't do a thing for your low end. It essentially shines at high load, high RPM - not the place you wanna be if you are thinking fuel economy.

No way a pickup derivative pulling over twelve tons is gonna get 13 MPG unless you keep it under 60 MPH. Particularly not over the mountains.

Maybe a super high-mileage guy like you is a candidate to do some pioneering of an aero trailer.

Do you have an exhaust brake?

Check out the conversion forums. Lots of guys have done the auto-to-stick conversion. Ain't cheap, but perfect for your kind of running. The money you save by not putting a bigger turbo, Big Oil, methanol injection, and big exhaust on your truck will easily cover a ZF6-650 conversion.

Slammed 4"
Rugged Air Dam
315,000 miles
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

WHOA PARTNER. Ive been a owner operator for 5 years. Whats YOUR dot score? Like I said, I keep my trucks appearance together. You can always tell a guys operating condition by the shape & look of his rig. Electric & hydraulic brakes on my trailer and I keep a small arsenenal of repair parts with me to fix MY setup anywhere. Thats why I got the kind of miles out of my truck and trailer. Last out of service ticket was in 08 for a permit. Im always ready for a roadside. Ive drove em big and small and have about 700,000 miles btween the two. 285,000 in a dually. Midtown Manhattan to Michigan Avenue downtown Chicago in afternoon rush. DONE IT REGULARLY. Snow storms from hell, icy conditions with high winds; DONE IT REGULARLY. I made the money I did because Ill go where the PANZYS who sit out side a metropolitan area waiting at a truck stop for traffic to die down or nite, wont go! Id trust the way I run a truck versus your version and I dont even know you. This and the fact I love a 7.3 is why Im putting the kind of money in my trucking operation Im talkin about. Worst accident Ive had was clipping a side mirror in a parking lot. Thats alot of miles and alot of experience. I pay about $485 on my premium a month for full coverage 200000 in cargo, 11 mill in liability and full coverage on my entire operation. If you are in the car business then you know those are GOOD numbers. @ claims on damages out of close to 1000 cars ran. How about YOU. Whats on your resume?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode