Went to Mexico... - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Send a message via AIM to Hacienda del Sol
Went to Mexico...

So as diesel has inched upward (it's about $4.60/gallon here) I finally decided to go buy my diesel in Mexico. I live in Tucson, about 70 miles from the border. Went down the other day, drove into Mexico, 1 mile in found a Pemex station with gas and filled my tanks with 75 gallons of diesel. Cost me around $160, or $2.17 per gallon. That's right! Spoke with a buddy of mine who is the head diesel mechanic at a local Ford dealer who also told me that Ford did study comparing the quality of diesel in North America. Mexico had the best diesel according to them. I have to say that my mileage seems to be better with the Mexican fuel and the truck runs strong. Although I hate like hell not to keep my money in America, at that price I have to go back.

It is completely legal as well, you're allowed to bring back up to 110 gallons per vehicle in tanks that are part of the truck, no containers. Any comments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 06:36 AM
OBS junkie

Re: Went to Mexico...

Get as much as you can for that price! Sounds like it's still high sulfer, the old 7.3L loves high sulfer!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

97 F350 CCLB "Da Bus"

RIP Will Iott
"This ain't no practice run"

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboyrob View Post
And remember, he's cat rebel....he doesn't do it the normal way.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 03:44 PM
PSN Local

Man if I was that close to the border you can bet I would be filling up an extra tank to bring across. As far as spending your money here, dont even worry about it. Do you think America(federal&state) gives a rats ass about you? I say we all start crossing the border for our fuel!

03 350 4x4 FX4 LB Mods: 6"DR all spring lift,Firestone ride rites, DP tuner 60t,80e,100,120, Napa 6637, AIH delete, Itp reg return/pre pump/CCV mod, JW VB, 4" turbo back. SOLD!!

03 Excursion 4x4 6oh Mods: 4" DR lift ,zoodad,ride rites. SOLD!! we miss it

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 03:57 PM
DILLIGAFF

Send a message via AIM to Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacienda del Sol View Post
Although I hate like hell not to keep my money in America, at that price I have to go back.
If you think you keep your money in America by buying diesel here in the states.... wrong! I would get a 90 gallon transfer tank and fill that baby up!

2006 F-250 CC King Ranch, Harley Headlights w/ 55w HIDs
ARP studs, MBRP 4" exhaust and AM Colbalts By:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, AFE stg. 2 Pro Guard 7 from XDP, SCT from innovative!
14.09 @ 94 1.85 60'

~

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 05:33 PM
Stimulated

I wish I lived close to the border. I could drive my truck more.

1995 Chevrolet C1500 6.5

1995 Z28 w/ 2.73's

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 02:54 AM
PSN Veteran

I have heard on cnbc i think, that most of the diesel, or all of the diesel close to the boarded comes from a u.s.a. refinery. it has been shipped to mexico from here! the reason it is so much cheaper is that mexico has a subsidized fuel program, just like china and many, many other countries. last week china hiked up the fuel price 18%, first hike for many years i believe! they interviewed some "chinese" dude, and he was blaming the u.s.a. yes, us, for the fuel price hike. they are not happy about it. i think gas had been around two dollars a gallon there for some time until now! the rest of the world is slowly starting to feel this fuel crunch! they will tapper back on consumption just like we are. so the fuel you are buying in mexico probably comes from a texas refinery.

02 dmax cc dually 4wd "miss piggy" tow bitch, afe pr7, magnaflow, Kennedy lift pump, dual rail mount filters, PPE tunes
00 f350 srw rc=6100lbs
ats comp housing,bdp 1.0 exhaust,afe pr7,4in turbo back magnaflow,hx cross,di regulated return,bbha,dp hi,40,80e,120r,6.oh no cooler autometer gauges, dual rail mount filters
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 03:57 AM
<----Simply the best.

Send a message via AIM to StrokerTurbo7.3

Mexico is far far away from us Hoosiers. Hell it takes $150 to give me 2 full tanks. Which is why I'm thinking about buying a ricer.

No longer a proud member of PSN.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 04:49 AM
Fire junkie

Some buddies and I have been doing that here (just outside of El Paso Tx.) all of us have bed tanks, so we make a trip down there about every 3-4 weeks and top off, between the two tanks on the truck and the 60 gallon aux. tank in the bed it sure helps

stay safe out there
Roy

96 F250 C.C. , Rebuilt E4ODx2, open air intake, Hypermax downpipe,straight 4", Stage 1's, Autometer EGT, Boost, & Tran temp, Upgraded trannie cooler, Custom home built front & rear bumpers, head ache rack and 60 gal. Aux. fuel tank
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 12:01 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd4me2 View Post
I have heard on cnbc i think, that most of the diesel, or all of the diesel close to the boarded comes from a u.s.a. refinery.
I've read the opposite.
It's our strict emmissions that other countries do NOT have that makes our fuel expensive. Mexico does not have our standards, so they have no reason to buy our highly refined fuel, they buy the cheaper less refined stuff.
Not sure if it's still processed here, if it is it's just cheaper cuz it's less refined.
I can't recall the proper term, but there's a process that filters the #2 to pull the sulfer out and they do it 3 or 4 times now to meet our standards, whereas Mexico's fuel is only filtered once, like what we used to run 10 years ago...
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 03:49 AM
PSN Veteran

mexico does have a fuel subsidy program, and a monopoly in pemex! the price could not be so low if the government was not subsidising, like china. read the ulsd part.
and we do import alot of fuel to mexico, but i read it was alot gas, not as much diesel except for ulsd, i think they do not even refine ulsd.

http://mexidata.info/id1880.html

http://www.rversonline.org/ArtMexFuels.html

02 dmax cc dually 4wd "miss piggy" tow bitch, afe pr7, magnaflow, Kennedy lift pump, dual rail mount filters, PPE tunes
00 f350 srw rc=6100lbs
ats comp housing,bdp 1.0 exhaust,afe pr7,4in turbo back magnaflow,hx cross,di regulated return,bbha,dp hi,40,80e,120r,6.oh no cooler autometer gauges, dual rail mount filters

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode