Figuring out is a mod cost makes sense - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Figuring out is a mod cost makes sense

I wanted to figure out if chasing a certain MPG increase was sound financially. I came up with chart for my expected use case. I'd attach the spreadsheet so folks could plug in their own senerios but don't have a clue how to within the forum

For initial numbers I figured $3.90 a gallon, 180 normal miles per week, and a few non standard trips. All the miles I'm towing a trailer I figured as non standard miles and seperated them from the other non reoccuring miles. I've guesstimated towing miles will give 2 mpg hit.

So to read this the green line is my current MPG. If I'm considering a mod which will gain .5 mpg I can figure a 1 year savings of $120 and a 4 year savings at $480. If I am able to mod and increase MPG, just move down the table to figure out what the next proposed mod will provide.

With this in mind if the 208 degree Thermostat mod costs me $100 and has no side impacts or costs, with a potential .5 mpg increase, its a good candidate with a really quick return. However, a $2000 mod that gets me 2 MPG better will take me something like 5 years just to break even.

MPG Costs.pdf Views: 35 Size: 107.7 KB">MPG Costs.pdf

2002 F350 Crew 4x4 Long bed 3.73- ATS TripleLok, trans cooler, 3.73, differ covers, Edge CTS, 2" lift w 35", 4" exhaust, Aero Turbin, AFS Stage 2, Cool down timer, Hayes XPC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 10:45 PM
MPG Moderator

Re: Figuring out is a mod cost makes sense

It does depend on how much you drive. I drive a lot, so I can justify a lot.

On the other hand, sensible driving costs squat and works well.

2000 F-350 SC 4x2 6 speed
3.08 gears Gear Vendor Overdrive
Slammed 4"
Rugged Air Dam
315,000 miles
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 04:56 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Whitmer View Post

On the other hand, sensible driving costs squat and works well.
This is the most important thing. Example: A lot of people talk about getting better mileage with exhaust and a chip. While this can be attained, it took me quite a while to get over the new power and start driving sensibly, now I do get 2-3 mpg better than before exhaust and chip though.

97 F-250 ECLB ZF5 7.3 4x4, 6637 Filter, MBRP 3" to 4" with 5" tip, HPO xover pipe, shimmed FPR, Boost and Pyro Gauges, PHP chip with stock, 60 hp, 80 hp, 140 hp, high idle, and no start

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 01:43 PM
Jack Ken

Good driving goes along way. I can get in the wifes Ex and just driving about 20 miles I can increase the average on the LOM by .2-.3 just because of my driving style over my wifes.

2003 Exursion 7.3 diesel exhaust, intake, ts chip, banks exhaust housing, big head actuator all sittin on 20s w/ 35s.
1989 F350 460 propane, 4inch lift 39.5s
1988 bronco ii 2.3 turbo motor on propane
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 04:54 PM
COMPUTER BLUE

To the op

Your miles are really low only around 9k a year?

The national avg is around 12k I thought.. it depends on how many miles you drive in order to justify it we drive a lot more then that About 30-35k per truck

lots of 6.4's and a few 6.0's

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfish2011 View Post
To the op

Your miles are really low only around 9k a year?

The national avg is around 12k I thought.. it depends on how many miles you drive in order to justify it we drive a lot more then that About 30-35k per truck
Yes, my miles are low, this truck is mostly dedicated to towing. Otherwise, its one of the others that get the miles. All the more reason to figure out if improvements are worth doing

Nice thing about a spreadsheet is that by adjusting the miles driven, all the other numbers adapt automatically. I just used my numbers and thought it might be a point at which others gage their experience

2002 F350 Crew 4x4 Long bed 3.73- ATS TripleLok, trans cooler, 3.73, differ covers, Edge CTS, 2" lift w 35", 4" exhaust, Aero Turbin, AFS Stage 2, Cool down timer, Hayes XPC
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 03:32 AM
MPG Moderator

9 k miles a year? Just towing?

Pay the fuel bill and don't worry about it.

2000 F-350 SC 4x2 6 speed
3.08 gears Gear Vendor Overdrive
Slammed 4"
Rugged Air Dam
315,000 miles
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 03:57 AM
professional slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikinginpdx View Post
I wanted to figure out if chasing a certain MPG increase was sound financially. I came up with chart for my expected use case. I'd attach the spreadsheet so folks could plug in their own senerios but don't have a clue how to within the forum

For initial numbers I figured $3.90 a gallon, 180 normal miles per week, and a few non standard trips. All the miles I'm towing a trailer I figured as non standard miles and seperated them from the other non reoccuring miles. I've guesstimated towing miles will give 2 mpg hit.

So to read this the green line is my current MPG. If I'm considering a mod which will gain .5 mpg I can figure a 1 year savings of $120 and a 4 year savings at $480. If I am able to mod and increase MPG, just move down the table to figure out what the next proposed mod will provide.

With this in mind if the 208 degree Thermostat mod costs me $100 and has no side impacts or costs, with a potential .5 mpg increase, its a good candidate with a really quick return. However, a $2000 mod that gets me 2 MPG better will take me something like 5 years just to break even.

Attachment 26384
what kind of upgrades are you talking about?
I would just do it and not worry about returns cause you do realize that usually with more power comes more foot to the floor = less mileage.
Just do it and enjoy it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode