The Nut Behind The Wheel - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
MPG Moderator

The Nut Behind The Wheel

This means you. MPG is very sensitive to how you drive. If you drive like tony Stewart, expect crummy MPG. Drive like grandpa, and you probably get good MPG.

Read this:
Beating the EPA - The Whys and How to Hypermile - CleanMPG Forums
This encompasses all the tricks. This is the guy that routinely get 34 MPG from new Ford truck. 47 MPG from his Ranger. 100+ from a first-generation Honda Insight. Nobody else drives like this, and the link was written mainly for hybrid jockies. But there is a lot you can take for your use.

Much of it is not new. Accelerate as gently as possible. Coast where you can. These trucks can coast a long, long way if you are not pressed. Stay off the brakes if you can. You’ve already paid for that momentum – use it.

The older guys remember the horror of the 55 MPH speed limit of the 70s and 80s. It was the most widely hated piece of legislation since the Vollsted Act. But give the devil his due. Driving 70 imposes double aerodynamic load on your truck than does 55. At highway speeds (all else being equal) aero load is about 70% of the road load.

On the Turbo Diesel Registry, there was a Dodge Cummins jockey who claimed better than 30 MPG on his one-ton Dodge. I’m not surprised when he said he never drove over 40 MPH.

To maintain fidelity with the average Joe pickup driver, I drive the posted limit.

A couple of tricks peculiar to these trucks:

Maybe somebody else noticed it first, but Dave Lott pointed out to me that keeping the EGT under 600 degrees is a path to good MPG. I’ve found that works. It is easy money for me with my 6-speed, but automatic guys can do it with some practice.

Unless load and grade prevent it, 6-speed guys can upshift at 1300 RPM indicated on your dash tach. The lower engine speed you shift at the better.

2000 F-350 SC 4x2 6 speed
3.08 gears Gear Vendor Overdrive
Slammed 4"
Rugged Air Dam
315,000 miles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode