Gear Vendors (is it time) ????? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Gear Vendors (is it time) ?????

Well with diesel at $5 a gallon i would say that a $2-$2500 gear vendor would pay for itself pretty fast but which ones do you guys run.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Re: Gear Vendors (is it time) ?????

The way i see it, it would take roughly 85 tanks of fuel for a $3k unit to pay for itself. 1 fill up per week on average means just over a year and a half to pay for it. I am really contemplating this because i dont see diesel ever going back lower than $4.50 a gallon.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 01:37 PM
MPG Moderator

I fully intend to put one on (over top of my 3.08s) in a few weeks.

I'm planning to go with the GV. It has a bigger overdrive than the US Gear - 0.72 for GV, 0.8 for US gear. I had a GV on another truck and it worked out well.

Overdrives cost about $3500 installed, but if you are driving the miles it will indeed pay for itself. The fact it quiets the truck is worth somethong by itself.

2000 F-350 SC 4x2 6 speed
3.08 gears Gear Vendor Overdrive
Slammed 4"
Rugged Air Dam
315,000 miles

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Dave, whats your experience with hp capabilities with one of these. There claims are they can handle 1200 hp.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 08:09 PM
Busy Busy

I'm interested in that as well.

443.553.9234 - 410.392.3262

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Elkton, Maryland

2001 F250 Platinum - 11.62 @ 115.76 on Nitrous
2007 F250 - 10.916 @ 122.86 on Fuel
2005 F450 - Tow Bitch
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 10:06 PM
What??

I thought I remembered somebody warning that if you did something like this that the engine rpm drop would be hard on an automatic transmission. I wouldn't take my word for it. I'll be the first to admit that what I don't know is a lot.

Without doing the math, I would imagine that by doing this we would end up in the range that Dave is at with just his 3.08 gears. What kind of a ratio will Dave end up with?

1999 F-350 CC DRW Build Date - 06/99
It ain't much, but it hauls my fat a** around.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 04:00 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
I thought I remembered somebody warning that if you did something like this that the engine rpm drop would be hard on an automatic transmission. I wouldn't take my word for it. I'll be the first to admit that what I don't know is a lot.

Without doing the math, I would imagine that by doing this we would end up in the range that Dave is at with just his 3.08 gears. What kind of a ratio will Dave end up with?
I have read Dave concerns with Automatic trannies. With low RPM an big loads there is the possibility of cooking the tranny. Automatic trannies need the RPM to keep the Fluid flowing right...

99.5 F250 2wd 6Speed: DP Tuner, Straight Pipe, DIY Tymar, 203 Thermostat. Spec Focus Hauler!!

23.5 MPG (HIGHWAY)
17.5 MPG (City)
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 06:42 PM
OBS junkie

I think Dave said his last truck with an auto ate trannys with the GV. Same thing with running 3.08 gears with an auto. It will always be downshifting to bring RPM back up & that's going to put wear on your tranny. On top of that burn up more fuel with all the upshifts & downshifts & kinda defeat the point of having it.

I think installing a GV in an auto tranny with 4.10 or even 3.73 gears for running unloaded or a load in the bed down the highway would be the way to go. You can always turn is off & not use it if your pulling a trailer & need that extra grunt right?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

97 F350 CCLB "Da Bus"

RIP Will Iott
"This ain't no practice run"

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboyrob View Post
And remember, he's cat rebel....he doesn't do it the normal way.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 07:13 PM
PSN Veteran

I was wondering if that would make any difference on a lifted truck?? You would gear the truck to match stock the best you can...then add the gearvendors?? Would you see any difference??
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 07:20 PM
OBS junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layson View Post
I was wondering if that would make any difference on a lifted truck?? You would gear the truck to match stock the best you can...then add the gearvendors?? Would you see any difference??
Wouldn't that also depend on the gearing & size of the tires that your running? Like a truck running 4.56 with 37" tires might like having a second OD when your just crusing down the highway vrs a truck with 3.73 & 37s might lower rpms too much.
That make sense?

97 F350 CCLB "Da Bus"

RIP Will Iott
"This ain't no practice run"

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboyrob View Post
And remember, he's cat rebel....he doesn't do it the normal way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode