Yes another thread on Veg oil - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
HEARING IMPAIRED

Yes another thread on Veg oil

I posted this up on Compd so I figured I would post it here too.

I have been running a blend of WVO and diesel. Its going great. My monthly fuel bill is down from 600 bucks to 100 bucks.

I started out as any leery person would with a slight mix of WVO. I was running 25% WVO to 75% diesel. I am now up to 75% WVO and 25% diesel. Been going on now for a few months and I have noticed that the engine runs smoother and quieter. I change my filter out every month or two because the engine wont show any signs of clogging, it will just blow the seal out. I lost about 5 gallons of fuel the other day like this. But it didn't bother me at all since I really don't pay that much for it. I am mixing a 15 to 20% mix of kerosene in with the WVO to keep it thin enough. In the winter I bump that up alittle just until I feel the viscosity is right. I do use some anti-gel agent in the winter along with the mixture. We also use a splash of gasoline to bring the flash point back down on the oil. So say you are going to make 20 gallons just for the sake of you knowing what and how much to mix.

20 gallons of WVO-Highly filtered down to 5 microns.
2 to 3 gallons of Kerosene
1 gallon of gasoline.
(Winter) 10 ounces of anti gel in the red bottle. I think its called diesel kleen.

Your good to go with that mix. Use your best judgment. Not everyone can afford new internals if something goes wrong. If you feel its too thick. Add another splash of kerosene. It should be a tad bit thicker than diesel.

Well thats all I can tell ya. Cant tell you where to get your oil so don't ask. But stay away from kfc and mexican oil. Its no good to use from my findings. So this should clear up everyone whining about fuel costs right??? I hope so.

Have fun. Be safe, and drop me a line with questions. If you find yourself in a bind that I didn't cover then you can call me in the afternoons at 940-923-1066. Names Daniel

Take it easy guys and gals.

Oh and if this could be made a sticky it would help out with all the questions.

2003 PSD 7.3 L, STRAIGHT PIPE, BD POWER DIGITAL X-MONIOR, TS 6 POS CHIP, BHAF, IDM MOD, 10K MOD, SOME CHROME.

'75 F-100 Custom. Restoration/Project Build

Daniel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have enough stickers to make 400HP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 02:39 AM
Cute and cuddly boys!

Send a message via Yahoo to mazdaparts
Re: Yes another thread on Veg oil

Do you have your motor oil tested regularly? I have read that polymerization in the crankcase is a big concern for mixing. That said I also would love to mix to save fuel costs. I'm still stuck on the filtering though. What do you use? And do you use any test for moisture or anything?

2002 F250 Crewcab Shortbed 4X4 Totaled 6/16/12
2000 Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4

There are 2 rules to getting ahead.
Rule #1. Don't tell anyone everything you know.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 03:54 AM Thread Starter
HEARING IMPAIRED

I havent heard anything on motor oil. I change it at 3000 and it seems fine. Just set up a hanging filter set with metal tubing. And we were using good ole mother nature for water seperation. Let it settle for a few days and you can draw all the water off. Now however we use goldenrod seperators.

2003 PSD 7.3 L, STRAIGHT PIPE, BD POWER DIGITAL X-MONIOR, TS 6 POS CHIP, BHAF, IDM MOD, 10K MOD, SOME CHROME.

Daniel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 05:22 AM
PSN Veteran

So are you just mixing it in a container or did you make a bio processor?

Would this work with new VO?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
HEARING IMPAIRED

We have some 50 gallon plastic containers. The flow pattern goes, A. bad oil, hanging filter setup, plastic container with mix, truck. Oh and we pre filter the oil through 100 micron bags prior to running it through a 25 mic to 10 mic to 5 mic filters.

I dont understand why you would want to run new VO. It will work just fine. But it could end up costing just as much as diesel fuel and would be the same pain in the ass. I guess just pour in new VO and add kerosene as needed.

Daniel

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 03:48 PM

I have a customer who is going to run his IDI on wesson oil straight. he knows someone at P&G and can buy it for $1.50 a gallon in 55 gallon drums. I am waiting to see how this works may try that because I don't have room to make a filter system.
Jay
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
HEARING IMPAIRED

Thats great if you can get it for that much. Just add kerosene and gasoline in the specified mix above and that will keep you from loosing power. If you run it straight you will notice a big power loss. But its free so who cares how fast you can go. If you were to get it for a buck fifty a gallon then it would be well worth it. Even with the mixture you are still around two bucks a gallon. Go for it.

BTW, What is P&G??

Daniel

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 02:31 PM
PSN Veteran

Why in the world would you even want to add gasoline?
It has no benefit whatsoever, that #2 can't do...
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
HEARING IMPAIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZL JIM View Post
Why in the world would you even want to add gasoline?
It has no benefit whatsoever, that #2 can't do...
It has every benifit of lowering the flash point. I have tested tank after tank with diesel 2 and gasoline. You CAN feel the power difference between the two. Gasoline also costs less and you have to add less to get the power back into the WVO. Just to clear up the Kerosene deal also, you add it to bring the cetane rating of the WVO back up and gasoline to bring the flash point down. I would suggest trying it first. Do 2 test tanks on #2 and 2 tanks on gas. When I was running the diesel 2, I would notice the greatest power loss when accelerating going up hill. Trust me, it was very noticeable without the gas additive. I can see where you are coming from though asking why add gas to a diesel. It does sound reckless and senseless. But spend the money and buy a diesel secret kit. I think it tells you to do the same thing. We are kind of doing the same thing without using their product. One thing I have learned in business ventures. The more it costs, the more people trust it. I have had two of the same products for sale. At first it was at a lower cost. No one would buy it. Double the price and they will sell like hot cakes. You can take my free advice and do this system that requires no mods, special setups, or special formulas. Or you can go buy some expensive deal that uses their SPECIAL formula and utilizes the same concept. Its up to you. I have currently ran over 5 thousand miles on this and it works great. I hope you will just take this and run with it. Your truck will run also on straight veg oil. You will have a VERY noticeable power loss but it does run. Just mix it like above and drive happy. And smell like a rolling french fry.

Daniel

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'powerstroke7.3 View Post
Thats great if you can get it for that much. Just add kerosene and gasoline in the specified mix above and that will keep you from loosing power. If you run it straight you will notice a big power loss. But its free so who cares how fast you can go. If you were to get it for a buck fifty a gallon then it would be well worth it. Even with the mixture you are still around two bucks a gallon. Go for it.

BTW, What is P&G??
Proctor & Gamble

have you had anyone in your research having a problem with the unburned oil causing an engine or injectoer problem. I have a customer who runs a wvo system seperate from the diesel fuel. he was telling me about a problem in the wvo all the time system that over 15-20,000 miles time the unburned oil starts to harden on the rings and injector tips (nozzles) causing them to leak fuel/wvo into the crankcase which takes out the valve train and turbo.

Jay

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode