Anybody doing SVO ??? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Anybody doing SVO ???

Hi all, I am New to the diesel world and am very intruiged by the thought of running Straight Vegtable Oil. I have been trying to read all I can and was wondering if anybody out there is actually using it as opposed to trying to sell it. I drive 175 miles (3 hours) one way to work so I think I have the distance covered to make it worth my while.
I had read on a forum/website where somebody built his own system and had the schematic with part #s and all parts needed. Cant find it now to save my life... I have a source for some Used Veg oil, and probably could find more. Even If I could get 20 gal a week (since I only work 9-10 days a month) That would be at least free fuel to and from work.

Any help would be great
Thanks in advance

Jim Haberkorn
2002 F-250 XL 7.3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 05:17 AM
Cute and cuddly boys!

Send a message via Yahoo to mazdaparts
Re: Anybody doing SVO ???

I would check into vegistroke.com or frybrid.com. From the research I have done. It is better for your motor if you use a 2 tank system. One that switches automatically and one that purges easily would be the best. When you mix (diesel and WVO) it will work for a while, but there aren't that many people with a lot of miles to know the long term effects. From what I have learned if you mix you better be doing oil analysis every oil change. The WVO can make its way into your oil and polymerize in the crankcase. I'm not smart enough to know exactly why that is bad, but I assume it is similar to sludging up and defeating the main purpose of your oil.

One word of advice. Read!!! Read everything you can about getting a high quality WVO to use even if you do 2 tanks or blended fuel. The best and most helpful website I have found is burnveg.com. They are or were the most helpful and positive site I have found. Kinda like comparing this site and some other diesel sites that we don't speak of.

2002 F250 Crewcab Shortbed 4X4 Totaled 6/16/12
2000 Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4

There are 2 rules to getting ahead.
Rule #1. Don't tell anyone everything you know.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks. I have been reading all i can about this... Heck, I wish I could have studied like this when I was in high school... I havent seen the Burnveg site yet, I will look at it now.
I am planning on using prefiltered WVO, and a tank dedicated to WVO. I dont want to do the blended thing.. I live in West Central PA and it gets a touch to cold here most months and I dont want to worry about my truck not starting/running. I am also planning on prefiltering all my oil prior to putting it in the truck, but I did find an interesting two tank system that does all the filtering onboard and you can even pull up beside a barrel and pull out the vacuum line and get oil.

Thanks
Jim Haberkorn

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 01:15 AM

also try biodieselnow.com i run a blend ; 100 gal. wvo ,22 gal kerocene,1 gal acetone, 1 gal turpitine gum spirits, 10 gal diesel to thin it out. mix in 275 gal tote comes out to about $2.22 gal and runs like rocket fuel in a 97 powerstroke about 15 mpg so for the same price of diesel i get=30 mpg.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode