Which tune to run. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Which tune to run.

Ok, i like my 80 econo setting but it seems like from a dead stop i can keep my egts and my rpms down in my 60 tow setting better then the 80. Like i know the 80 has sooner shift points but the egts seem higher. like its hard to keep egts under 600 degrees. In my 60 tow i can keep the truck shifting at just under 2000 rpms and keep my egts well under 600 degrees. So i'm sure the timing and some little stuff like that are different, so which would be better fuel mileage?

Thanks.
Tim

oh yeah my truck is a 2000 4x4 extended cab automatic. Have a 6637 filter and 5 inch exhaust and dp tuner (60 tow, 80 econo, 120 race).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 12:02 AM
< pissed off pumkin.

Talking Re: Which tune to run.

I don,t know what my EGT's are sence I don,t have my gauges in yet, but I,ve been running the 110 tune with my SCT and I think the millage is better than with the 80E I think I,ve only run the tow tune once or twice , never really paid attention to millage because I never run it long enough to get a good reading. I pulled my two horse in the 110 tune and think my millage was better, and I have heard others doiing this aswell unless they were puling heavy to point the EGTS got out of hand. I have gauges coming next week so its gonna be interesting to see how hot it running with what I,ve done so far and towing.

Dan

2003 F-350 4x4, Ext cab. 7.3 AFE stage II 4" turbo back exhaust, garret GTP 38, 1.15 van turbine housing,EBPV deleated, non waste gated, ATS compresor housing, WW II, bellowed up pipes, CFM + spyder conversion, Hydra chip with Bill's tunes, CCV mod, Hutched, harpooned, RR fuel system, 6.0 trans cooler, Swamps IDM, HPX.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 03:31 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Which tune to run.

you were towing chiped without an EGT gauge!?

Andy

I would like to thank F.A.S.T. for helping with the 2008 pulling season.
For all your fire service repair and fabrication needs. Will travel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IDM Info Updated 11/07/08

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 12:15 PM
The Fireman

Send a message via AIM to big_stroker Send a message via Yahoo to big_stroker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang_gt_350 View Post
you were towing chiped without an EGT gauge!?
Its just money...

1999.5 F-250 7.3l 4x4 6 spd Ported Heads, Head studs, valve springs, DI Push Rods, DI RR, 38R, Walbro fuel pump, 238cc Injectors from Nate @ Unlimited Diesel and Tuned by Matt @ Gearhead Automotive

post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 12:54 PM
< pissed off pumkin.

I,m not pulling enough that temps should be going sky high and I live on flat ground for the most part. If I was up in the mountains it would be a different story. Besides these 7.3 are supose to be so tough or is that just a bunch of bull$hit. .

Dan

2003 F-350 4x4, Ext cab. 7.3 AFE stage II 4" turbo back exhaust, garret GTP 38, 1.15 van turbine housing,EBPV deleated, non waste gated, ATS compresor housing, WW II, bellowed up pipes, CFM + spyder conversion, Hydra chip with Bill's tunes, CCV mod, Hutched, harpooned, RR fuel system, 6.0 trans cooler, Swamps IDM, HPX.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I have heard higher horsepower programs get better fuel mileage but i was just wondering for my observations. So no one has any idea?
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 05:46 PM
< pissed off pumkin.

I can tell you this much I dont get into the gas nearly as hard to get going from a light or I,m running down the guy in front of me so I can see it helping , but if you stuff it a nd stay there its another story I,m sure.

Dan

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 06:29 PM
<----Simply the best.

Send a message via AIM to StrokerTurbo7.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinedan View Post
I,m not pulling enough that temps should be going sky high and I live on flat ground for the most part. If I was up in the mountains it would be a different story. Besides these 7.3 are supose to be so tough or is that just a bunch of bull. .

Dan
They are a tough motor. Probably the best International has done for our Fords so far. I'm not doubting the 6.4 though. Thats showing some potential so yea. Anyways back to your post. No diesel engine is going to be tough when your running 1500 degrees for extended amounts of time. Simple as that

No longer a proud member of PSN.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 06:36 PM
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...

I run in the race setting most of the time, I like the shifting stradigy better. But the tow setting has been better as of late...

No MPG issues, as its hard to check with the 110 tank in the bed...

[CENTER]01 F-250 SC PSD,430k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, 230/100, Studs, 910 springs, Forged rods, Hydra chip, Swamps HVHF IDM, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 4" Revtek lift, 37/12.5/16.5 MT's
Joe
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 06:44 PM
OBS junkie

I'd worry more if your seeing 900* or more under light driving in any of the tunes. I know in 120R under normal conditions I see about the same to slightly higher EGTs over stock. That's under light driving mind you.

97 F350 CCLB "Da Bus"

RIP Will Iott
"This ain't no practice run"

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboyrob View Post
And remember, he's cat rebel....he doesn't do it the normal way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode