Help/Questions with Fuel Mileage. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
JDG's #1 Fan

Send a message via AIM to 99F250Smitty
Help/Questions with Fuel Mileage.

I didn't specifically buy my truck to get good fuel mileage, but when i bought my truck diesel fuel was $2.99 that weekend, and that was only eight months ago.

I read alot of threads on here where guys are claiming to be getting 17-19 mpg with trucks similar to mine.

I have the things done to my truck that are in my sig, straight pipe, air intake, basic stuff. But I wonder how you guys are getting such good mileage.

I run 2 stroke in my fuel, 1 oz to a gallon, hoping that would help. Didn't seem to help mileage, But now i just do it because it makes the truck so much quieter and smoother.

I can only get about 15 mpg tops on the highway and my last tank was about 75 miles highway and 200 miles town driving, and I only got 13.75.

I just changed out my EBP Sensor this weekend, hoping that may make a difference.

I fill my tank to the brim, drive it and fill it back to the brim. I drove 275 miles and it took me 20 gallons to fill it up.

I drive like I have some sense, and try to always keep it under 2000 rpms.

What am I missing here? What are some tests, things to check, things that could be wrong that are causing me to get such poor fuel mileage compared to some of you other guys? Any tips or info would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks.

Brian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 07:46 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Help/Questions with Fuel Mileage.

Have you changed your fuel filter recently?
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
JDG's #1 Fan

3000 miles ago. Did oil and filter change, and new fuel filter.

Brian

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 09:08 PM
PSN Veteran

Get a tune.....
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 11:46 PM
MPG Moderator

Considering that your driving is over 70% urban/suburban and given your truck’s configuration, 13.75 MPG is not hugely out of line.

The 15 MPG on the highway is exactly what I would predict for a truck with 4x4, automatic, and big tires.

2000 F-350 SC 4x2 6 speed
3.08 gears Gear Vendor Overdrive
Slammed 4"
Rugged Air Dam
315,000 miles
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
JDG's #1 Fan

Dave, you have told me this before, and from the information I have read from you, i trust in what you have to say, but explain to me, how all of these other guys are getting 17-18 then, I can go through this forum and find threads and posts all day with guys with tires bigger than mine and the same set-up other than maybe some tunes, claiming to get this kind of mileage.

I talked to a subcontractor that had a 10" lift and 38's who claimed he was getting 13mpg, and i also talked to a guy that owns a shop who claimed he drives around during the winter with his front hubs locked and still gets 16mpg.

I guess the problem is, i am basing what i think i should be getting on word of mouth, and you have done the research and are basing it on facts and testing. I just wonder how everyone else is getting such good mileage.

Brian

post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 03:06 PM
Proudly Serving The USA

With the mods in my sig, I easily get 18/19 city and 20/21 hwy since fuel went up. I keep my tires aired up to the max and basically just keep up on the maintenance. I also use two stroke oil.

Chris

Chris
Early ’99 F350 XLT 4x2 CC LB SRW 6sp
modded 17° HPOP, CCV, 203° T, SS HPX, ITP OBA, Oilguard, Hutch/Harpoon, Ford AIS/zoodad, ITP RR, 08 Differential Cover, Autometer Pyro/Boost, 4" MKO straight-piped, DieselSite Coolant Filter Kit, DP F5 (stock, no start, high idle, 80e), TurboMaster WG, DPP Boots, Aerotank 55 gallon midship tank.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 06:51 PM
Jaw-Juh Stroker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99F250Smitty View Post
99.5 F250 Extended Cab Short box. 4x4.
Muffler delete, straight pipe
DIY Tymar Intake
Zoodad
Warn Manual Hubs
New Mickey Thompson ATZ's 285/75/16
You've got the same size tires I got on my truck. Mine is a reg cab manual transmission 4x4 and the best I've ever gotten in mixed driving with a good bit of highway and back roads is 18mpg. I'd say you're right about where you should be.

2002 F250 4x4
T-444E 6-speed
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 07:48 PM
PSN Local

99f250smitty:
I got basically the same setup truck as you. extcab 4x4 with an automatic. I have 285's on my truck and mine ranges from 14 to 15 around town. Depends on how much stop and go traffic i get in. On the hiway though i can get close to 18. I also have a dp tuner but i get about the same in a tune as i do stock. B/c when i got it in a tune i can't keep my foot out of it enough
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
JDG's #1 Fan

I seem to get 14-15 no matter what, around town or highway. Never seen close to 18.

Brian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode