25MPG OBS? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

25MPG OBS?

My goal is 25MPG tank average not a snap shot. 1995 CCLB 4x4. After reading 14 pages I have come up with a list of necessities:
Stock tires
Bed cover
G/V Overdrive
Auto to manual swap (awesome Iíve wanted to do this for a whileÖ nice excuse)
Driving habits...(maybe )
Maintenance!!!
Gears

Now for my questions:
Aluminum wheels? 16x8's better or worse than a stock sized 16x7 steel wheel? Would it be cost effective to gain one inch width with a lighter metal? I would still use the stock tires, so?
Transmission Swap, anyone have an extra ZF5 with transfer case laying around?
Bed cover. tonneau or fast back? I really donít want it to look like crap one way or the other. I need to have self storage on the truck when I am using the bed. Another thing is a 5th wheel tailgate? Would it be worth the money for a bed cover?

I am getting around 13MPG hand calculated right now with 315/75R16's and 4.10 gears with the motto: Drive it like you stole it! I do not haul over 10,000 maybe once a year, so can I safely go down to 3.55 or possibly even lower without any major issues towing.

Any thought on electric fans? I have been sitting on the idea for a while now for performance reasons, but with my newfound influence on mileage (the financial advisor (my wife)) is there any MPG gain with this mod?

Is 25MPG even possible on a OBS while obtaining around 400Hp?

Jake Brown
1995 Ford F-350 4x4 CCLB, ZF5, Solid mass Flywheel, Banks Technicooler, DYI 6637, 3in downpipe, 5in exhaust, Isspro Gauges, MORE TO COME
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 07:21 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: 25MPG OBS?

No, you wont ever get 25mpg.

Anyone that says they have is lying.

1996 with 35s
615hp/1258tq on 9/19
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

So what can i shoot for realisticly?

Jake Brown
1995 Ford F-350 4x4 CCLB, ZF5, Solid mass Flywheel, Banks Technicooler, DYI 6637, 3in downpipe, 5in exhaust, Isspro Gauges, MORE TO COME

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 03:44 PM
PSN Local

You said the words "cost effective" once in your list. How many miles do you drive per year? What's the reason for mpg upgrades? Is it fuel range, cost savings, coolness?

Making changes for mpg savings is a good idea when you want to replace something anyways such as tires or even gears. But you can quickly spend much more on your truck to save fuel than it would have cost to just buy the fuel. This is where "cost effective" can prevent you from doing anything.

You can only expect low 20s on the highway cruising empty at 60 with that truck.

2000 F350 SRW, 4wd, CCSB, PSD
Lowered rear end to F250 height, 4" exhaust w/ muff, foil delete, AIH delete, Ford AIS intake, tru-cool trans cooler, autometer under dash pod and gauges, Mile Marker hubs, 04 headlights, soft tonneau

18' 10k rated PJ car hauler
26' 7500# Creekside RV Trailer
Kioti CK30 tractor
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 03:44 PM
PSN Veteran

Id say setting your goal at 20 with a handshaker is a really good goal to work towards. But i wouldnt expect to get it at 400hp.

People claim many many things, but when it comes down to it 20mpg is a lot out of a 7.3

1996 with 35s
615hp/1258tq on 9/19
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokeorcroak View Post
Id say setting your goal at 20 with a handshaker is a really good goal to work towards. But i wouldnt expect to get it at 400hp.

People claim many many things, but when it comes down to it 20mpg is a lot out of a 7.3
Ya i understand that thats why I asked about 25MPG goal... It is a little higher than the"average" good MPG OBS. Meaning a better goal to shoot for even if it is impossible. 400HP is just a number I do not have 400HP and probably never will but i would like to get as close to 25 MPG as possible with stage 1 injectors.

Jake Brown
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highbeam View Post
You said the words "cost effective" once in your list. How many miles do you drive per year? What's the reason for mpg upgrades? Is it fuel range, cost savings, coolness?

Making changes for mpg savings is a good idea when you want to replace something anyways such as tires or even gears. But you can quickly spend much more on your truck to save fuel than it would have cost to just buy the fuel. This is where "cost effective" can prevent you from doing anything.

You can only expect low 20s on the highway cruising empty at 60 with that truck.
The "cost effective" I was referring to buying a bed cover when I have a fifth wheel tailgate. I am curious as to the aerodynamics that are normally right behind the tail gate… but I really do not know that’s why I asked. As far as my MPG goal, I am trying to maximize my range per tank and save as much money as possible. I realize the it will cost money to change over these things in my truck, but they will be a one time payment (hopefully nothing breaks) I am more interested in the savings earned after... for example my 315/75r16's need to be replaced right now, at around $200 a tire that will last a year or two. Stock sizes are cheaper= saving money there. Gears, I suppose i could leave everything alone and just buck up and buy another set of 315's but i would not get any better mileage, and I really want lower RPM's at Higher speed= gears. I drive right around 16,000 a year, mostly highway miles so oversized tires really dont get used the way were ment to, and 3000 miles around a holiday to drive from California to Washington to be with family.

This is just a goal id just because I said 25MPG doesnt mean I am going to get it. If that were true...50MPG with 1000HP.

Jake Brown
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 07:15 PM
PSN Local

Stock height tires are ideal and there is no reason that you need 315 wide tires to get a tall tire. There are plenty of tall skinny tire sizes out there.

The things you do to increase empty cruising mpg will mostly do nothing when you are towing the 5th wheel.

A manual tranny and low gears would make a big difference at a high cost. With your low miles per year and the expected life of the truck, I don't think it would ever pay for itself.

Bed cover does not cost much at all and is supposed to get you a significant, 10%, mpg improvement. That one is a no-brainer and is my next mpg improvement.

It appears that you have a lift. Do you need a lift? Dropping to stock height will gain you mpg and make stock size tires look much better.

Efans are a sticky subject around here. Flex-a-lite makes a kit for our trucks that pulls lots of air but not as much as our fully locked up engine fan can pull. This becomes a durability, dependability issue. If you can't work it like a truck for fear of overheating then why drive a truck? They are not cheap either and the fan clutches seem to hold up well.

2000 F350 SRW, 4wd, CCSB, PSD
Lowered rear end to F250 height, 4" exhaust w/ muff, foil delete, AIH delete, Ford AIS intake, tru-cool trans cooler, autometer under dash pod and gauges, Mile Marker hubs, 04 headlights, soft tonneau

18' 10k rated PJ car hauler
26' 7500# Creekside RV Trailer
Kioti CK30 tractor
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 08:27 PM
ChrisJ

Bed covers actually don't work for fuel mileage. Best fuel mileage in a pick-up truck not towing is with a stock tailgate. Air behind the cab circles and the air coming over the cab top rides this to a semi smooth transitional rejoining behind the truck bumper. Putting on my 5th wheel screen tailgate (as well as a bed cover) pulled the over cab air into the bed and turbulence in the bed and behind the truck caused my fuel consumption to increase. I am going back to a regular tailgate when I find one.

'95 F350 Intercooler, Down pipe, Exhaust, Chip, Exhaust Brake
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 08:49 PM
PSN Veteran

I have a stock 94.5 RCLB, MT, 265 tires on that are not even AT tires and i have done the math 3 times on my mileage for a whole tank. 2 of the 3 times I came up with 18 range and then the last time I did I was very easy on the truck and I got it to that 20 range. 25 might be a little bit of a stretch but if you were to cruise at 55 (no higher) the whole tank you might be able to get 25mpg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1994.5 PSD RCLB MT 4x4 All Stock with the pertiest seat cover you ever did see

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in