History leason - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
< pissed off pumkin.

Talking History leason

Back in 1931 Cummins drove from coast to coast on a mear $11.22 in diesel. I saw this last night on Modern Marvals, I,ve seen this piticular one numorous time and don,t remember that tid bit, but I thought it would be cool to put it on here for all to see. Makes you sick when you go to gas station.

Dan

2003 F-350 4x4, Ext cab. 7.3 AFE stage II 4" turbo back exhaust, garret GTP 38, 1.15 van turbine housing,EBPV deleated, non waste gated, ATS compresor housing, WW II, bellowed up pipes, CFM + spyder conversion, Hydra chip with Bill's tunes, CCV mod, Hutched, harpooned, RR fuel system, 6.0 trans cooler, Swamps IDM, HPX.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 05:42 PM
Wanna cookie?

Re: History leason

that's two gallons
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 06:29 PM
Cute and cuddly boys!

Send a message via Yahoo to mazdaparts

But in 1931 $11.22 was a lot of money.

2002 F250 Crewcab Shortbed 4X4 Totaled 6/16/12
2000 Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4

There are 2 rules to getting ahead.
Rule #1. Don't tell anyone everything you know.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 06:37 PM
Wanna cookie?

True, I wonder what the equivalent to today's dollar would be compared to the pay back then.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 07:15 PM
Jaw-Juh Stroker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangela View Post
True, I wonder what the equivalent to today's dollar would be compared to the pay back then.
I'll take a stab at this as long as everyone understands my answer is going to be outrageously wrong. :)

Since we were still on the gold standard in 1931, I'll just compare the dollar of 1931 to the ounce of gold at that time, and the ounce of gold to the dollar of our time.

1931 1 ounce = $ 20.67
Today 1 ounce = $1,002.00

11.22 dollars divided by 20.67 dollars per ounce equals 0.54 ounces

0.54 times $1,002.00 equals $543,90.

Diesel is about $4.89 today, so that amount of money would only buy 111 gallons give or take. Assuming the trip was three thousand miles (remember the Interstate wasn't build at this time and roads were terrible), my figures would only be correct if the truck got 27 miles to the gallon. 9 or 10 is probably a better figure, and I'd suspect that to be high as well, so fuel would have had to cost 1/3 what it does today after adjusting for inflation.

So assuming they used 350 gallons of gas or diesel, that fuel would have cost roughly 3 cents a gallon, which sounds about right if you ask me.

Nothing but a SWAG (Scientific Wild-Ass Guess).

2002 F250 4x4
T-444E 6-speed
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
< pissed off pumkin.

Talking Re: History leason

Yeah the boss and I were thinking around .10 to .11 a gallon. Chelsie L cummins I forgot his first name when I put that up at lunch time, . Also I thought the same thing, 11.22 would have been a lot of money in those days. I think the adverage was about 10.00 a week for a good job. I have a girl that boards her horse in our barn , her grampa said when he first started driving truck he bought diesel for about .13 a gallon. I have heard stories of people going to the station and filling up for 3.00 back in the forties.

Dan

2003 F-350 4x4, Ext cab. 7.3 AFE stage II 4" turbo back exhaust, garret GTP 38, 1.15 van turbine housing,EBPV deleated, non waste gated, ATS compresor housing, WW II, bellowed up pipes, CFM + spyder conversion, Hydra chip with Bill's tunes, CCV mod, Hutched, harpooned, RR fuel system, 6.0 trans cooler, Swamps IDM, HPX.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 11:35 PM
Wanna cookie?

Nuts man, totally nuts.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 12:35 AM
MPG Moderator

During the Depression gasoline usually sold for under ten cents a gallon and diesel was considerably cheaper. In fact diesel was rare, except directly from the refineries and in ports.

Clessie Cummins probably had to buy the diesel by the barrel from oil companies and ship it by rail to places he thought he's have to fuel up.

2000 F-350 SC 4x2 6 speed
3.08 gears Gear Vendor Overdrive
Slammed 4"
Rugged Air Dam
315,000 miles
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
< pissed off pumkin.

Talking Re: History leason

We figured he had a large tank, but how large is a good question. They never said what it was he drove either, I guess I,ll have to do some research maybe. Its amazing how things can change in 80 years.

Dan

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 02:07 AM
Wanna cookie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinedan View Post
We figured he had a large tank, but how large is a good question. They never said what it was he drove either, I guess I,ll have to do some research maybe. Its amazing how things can change in 80 years.

Dan
Yea... things do change in 80 years... like your avatar woulda looked something like this LMAO!

Then again.... men are men... they love all women, no matter the genre.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode