better mpg towing? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

better mpg towing?

I have a 96 f250 mostly stock with 4.10 gears an intake and cat delete. I normally get 13 mpg around town empty with a light foot but today i hauled 2 1/2 tons of hay in 2 trips. when i pulled in to fill up with diesel, i topped it off the same amount i normally do, and did the math. 129 miles and it took 8.053 gallons to fill it. am i wrong or is that 16 miles per gallon? this was in town mostly with speeds less than 50 mph and overdrive off..... any ideas of why the better mileage while towing?

96 250 DIY intake, Banks 3" SS down pipe, no muffler, no cat, man hubs, shift kit, a/m trans cooler, dual fuel filters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 12:10 AM
MPG Moderator

Re: better mpg towing?

You have some variable you're not including.

You say better MPG towing than empty with all else equal?

I don't believe it.

2000 F-350 SC 4x2 6 speed
3.08 gears Gear Vendor Overdrive
Slammed 4"
Rugged Air Dam
315,000 miles
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

yea the only thing ive done any different was haul the hay. I dont believe it either but ive done the math many times. i'm stumped, thats why i posted on here

96 250 DIY intake, Banks 3" SS down pipe, no muffler, no cat, man hubs, shift kit, a/m trans cooler, dual fuel filters

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 04:53 PM
PSN Veteran

You guys get better mpg with he OD off or on?

2000 F-350 4x4 DRW 200,000 miles DP tuner Stock, 40T, decel, 60T, 80T, 80eco, 120race, ported compressor housing, bellowed up-pipes, Terminator T-500, FPR Spring mod, AIH delete, autometer ford factory match boost, pyro, trans, HPX crossover tube, AFE Stage II CAI, 5in Straight pipe, JW valve body, Deep transmission Pan with magnet
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 10:17 PM
PSN Local

When towing at freeway speeds(60-65), better mpg in overdrive of course because otherwise you would be spinning high 2300+ rpms.

The only reason I can think of for the OP's higher mpg is that the speeds were lower and maybe he wasn't as lead footed with the trailer in tow. 16 mpg is high for empty. I suspect that your next fillup will show really bad mpg since you only partially filled up this time.

I have found better mpg with slower speeds. I normally tow at 60 mph. Any slower and you are way down on power in overdrive. So the trans keeps shifting down on every hill.

2000 F350 SRW, 4wd, CCSB, PSD
Lowered rear end to F250 height, 4" exhaust w/ muff, foil delete, AIH delete, Ford AIS intake, tru-cool trans cooler, autometer under dash pod and gauges, Mile Marker hubs, 04 headlights, soft tonneau

18' 10k rated PJ car hauler
26' 7500# Creekside RV Trailer
Kioti CK30 tractor
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

i spin 2300 rpm at 65 mph in overdrive. if i kick it out of overdrive it jumps up over 3 grand!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode