Propane and milage - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Propane and milage

└ couple of my friends and I are thinking about getting propane kits to boost our milage. Anyone have first hand experience with any of the newer kits and have some real numbers?

2K Excursion, AFEII intake, 4" straight exhaust, DP F6, 200cc singles, 38R, RR, T500, ATS stage II with 5 star tc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 12:03 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Propane and milage

Had a powder shot 2000 on my OBS for a few Years. It picked up about 1 1/2 to 3 miles per gal. After buying the kit and the propain, it's about a wash. It your looking for a kit I'll sell you that one. I will say it's not much of a saving in fuel.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

If there is only a 3mpg increase to be had, I'm not sure it would be worth it either. Did you have yours set more for milage or power?

2K Excursion, AFEII intake, 4" straight exhaust, DP F6, 200cc singles, 38R, RR, T500, ATS stage II with 5 star tc

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 11:45 PM
PSN Veteran

A little of both. It was set for about 75hp. Before I know about bigger injectors, that's what I was using it for. I was hoping for the big MPH gain but, after buying the kit and running it for a year or so just didn't see it. I was getting the propain for free so yes it did help but, if you have to buy it, it just doesn't save a lot.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 02:13 AM
PSN Veteran

I am about 99% sure that you will never recoup the money spent on the system unless you happen to have a way of getting REALLY low cost propane

99.5 F-350 SRW 6 speed mods:PHP live tuned., MSD propane system, snow water injection,DDP stage 1 injectors,AFE stage II air intake,ITP boost regulater,3.5 turbo back exaust,FASS fuel system. Gulf Coast oil bypass filtration, ITP reg. return, HPX oil line , GTP 38r with 1.15,EBPV delete. 430,000 miles,Adrenaline HPOP
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 03:23 PM
Jack Ken

overall you might see 10% savings with the cost of adding in the LP. Better systems save more. ie. variable units that adjust with load. I sell kits for semis and such but for pick ups our sytem is a bit pricey as the pay back would take awhile. On some semis and farm equipment I have seen anywhere from 10% to close to 30% savings. Infact getting ready to install one today on a diesel delivery truck.

2003 Exursion 7.3 diesel exhaust, intake, ts chip, banks exhaust housing, big head actuator all sittin on 20s w/ 35s.
1989 F350 460 propane, 4inch lift 39.5s
1988 bronco ii 2.3 turbo motor on propane

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode