Fuel injectors - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Resident Curmudgeon

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Toybreaker
Fuel injectors

Finally got my care package from home (on deployment) and i was reading my diesel magazines. One of the bylines on powerstroke MPG gains was changing from the stock injectors to injectors that had 6 holes in the nozzles.
It was worth 2+ mpg and 90 hp over stock. no other changes.
I am skeptical of such an "easy" mod. but if going from 5 to 6 showed such a dramatic change what would 7 or 8 holes in the nozzle do?
That much smaller would further atomize the fuel but how small would be too small for the orifice?

When would the size be a restriction?

Replacing Injectors won't be cheap but i plan on having this truck for a LONG time so it would be worth the cost if it were effective in increasing efficiency. I am not looking for a sled puller or drag engine. I want reliable economical power to tow with. Beating the snot out of Civics is fun with a diesel. However that is not the goal with my truck.

2001 F250 XLT 4x4 auto

Last edited by Toybreaker; 05-27-2008 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Edited for content
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 11:38 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Fuel injectors

I would not expect mpg increase from dropping hole size.
Not sure of the test they ran, but the 7.3 PSD has 7 holes.
Not sure of the result if you got custom nozzles made (blanks) and had 5 or 6 holes in a specific size what mileage would do, but if you put 5 or 6 hole nozzles on your 7.3 injectors, those nozzles available now are much larger than the the nozzles you have now. Mpg would surely drop.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 11:48 AM

OP is probably talking about going to a stage II single shot injector.

Swamps, ITP diesel, DP tuner, BTS, Stecher Performance Diesel, DieselSite

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Resident Curmudgeon

Garage

The article was on a Six leaker.
The principle is the same. Increase the number of holes in the nozzle/pintle and decrease the size to improve atomization. More power / efficiency on less fuel. So if the 7.3 has 7 holes stock increase it to 8, 9 or even 10 and decrease the size of the holes.
2-3 mpg adds up pretty quickly when you drive 10k or more a year.

2001 F250 XLT 4x4 auto
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 10:54 PM
MPG Moderator

I have often thought about this myself. Sooner or later I will need to maintain the old injectors.

For me, the truck makes adequate power to collect me a fistful of tickets (when you can catch a MPG freak like me speeding you have a bona fide speed trap). I never notice any black smoke but that doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement.

On the face of it, I would think that more, smaller orifices would indeed give a smaller droplet size with the same overall fuel delivery. I'm sure there are limits. After all diesel is a Newtonian fluid and sooner or later viscosity catches up to you.

If all goes well this summer, I will work out the twin veins of "better gearing" and "better aerodynamics." Once I do, maybe single shotters with a different nozzle may be in order.

2000 F-350 SC 4x2 6 speed
3.08 gears Gear Vendor Overdrive
Slammed 4"
Rugged Air Dam
315,000 miles
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Resident Curmudgeon

Garage

If you kept your foot out of it could Big oil help MPG by boosting the pressure?
Expensive mod but could it work?
My friend Dave got one of Joey's pumps and told me he picked up some MPG as well as more power.
could you increase the gain by going big oil and increased holes in the pintle/nozzle?

2001 F250 XLT 4x4 auto
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 01:05 PM
Banned

You would have to start with a blank nozzle. You cannot simply put more holes in the existing one and retain much confidence in it structurally.

And when you think about jacking up the ICP for milage, remember that the pressure comes at a cost too. Parasitic drag on the camshaft/crankshaft. I have done testing running ICP up to some serious heights while coasting and it will damn near put you into the steering wheel at 3800psi. That's right. The drag from the pumps damn near slides the back tires...

In terms of milage, you don't need a second pump anyway. When at crusing speeds you're not coming anywhere close to emptying the injectors, so even a piss-poor stock pump can run whatever pressure you want. If you want to try a little more ICP when crusing, just ask for it. Or get a resistor mod of your choice if you want to change it on the fly. But regardless. You don't need two pumps to run high ICP when just cruising if you wanted to.

And your stock nozzle is a 7 hole as Jim said. Going to a DT466 nozzle is not likely going to yeild better efficiency.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Resident Curmudgeon

Garage

So if the 7.3 has 7 holes stock increase it to 8, 9 or even 10 and decrease the size of the holes.

You would have to make sure the total area is the same or slightly smaller even with the added hole. But like i said earlier how small is too small?
I am a machinist, if i could find where to buy the blanks i would do it myself. or make them from scratch if i could get a blueprint.

2001 F250 XLT 4x4 auto
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 06:36 PM
PSN Local

If you do let us know... there might be some people interested.

99.5 F250 2wd 6Speed: DP Tuner, Straight Pipe, DIY Tymar, 203 Thermostat. Spec Focus Hauler!!

23.5 MPG (HIGHWAY)
17.5 MPG (City)
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 04:00 AM
Banned

People already make the blanks. You might find that when you increase the hole count you start running out of nozzle tip area for structure. I made mention of that already.

And the potential downside here isn't shotty fuel milage, or a little bit of smoke. It's a nozzle tip wedged down into a piston.

If you've never yanked a powerstroke engine out, and don't plan to, you would do well to investigate the concept of extra nozzle holes with strict attention from a strength of materials standpoint before simply burning some holes and hoping for the best.

Sound concept, but one more than likely requiring more focused attention to detail in the area of potential strength reduction.

But maybe not.

Find some blanks and have at it. They're out there. Let us know how they work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode