Got to drive a hydrogen car - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
ARMY bound

Got to drive a hydrogen car

I was in Vegas for the alternative fuel convention and got to drive a hydrogen chevy. Pretty frickin cool! They sound like mini jets. The power is awsome, could not tell the difference between hydrogen and gasoline. The future has some neat crap for cars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 03:35 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Got to drive a hydrogen car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbxcursion View Post
I was in Vegas for the alternative fuel convention and got to drive a hydrogen chevy. Pretty frickin cool! They sound like mini jets. The power is awsome, could not tell the difference between hydrogen and gasoline. The future has some neat crap for cars.
Hey cool.. Where the heck do you buy hydrogen if you had such a car?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 03:40 AM
PSN Mega Miler

California has some stations and there is even one that I know of here in Alabama in Huntsville.

The bmw 7 series hydrogen car has been tested a bunch at huntsville.

2002 F250 SuperDuty Lariat PSD 7.3 Crew Cab 4x4 302,000+ miles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Valvoline Extreme Blue 5w40 Synthetic,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Clifford Matrix 50.5x Alarm

, P3 Brake Controller, Swamps Injectors, PHP Tunes

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 03:20 AM
HEARING IMPAIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputydog View Post
Hey cool.. Where the heck do you buy hydrogen if you had such a car?
UHHHH. PLEASE correct me if I am wrong but if you were running said hydrogen car wouldnt you use WATER to fill it up on the HHO side??? and gasoline for the other side if there was one.

2003 PSD 7.3 L, STRAIGHT PIPE, BD POWER DIGITAL X-MONIOR, TS 6 POS CHIP, BHAF, IDM MOD, 10K MOD, SOME CHROME.

'75 F-100 Custom. Restoration/Project Build

Daniel

I have enough stickers to make 400HP
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 04:03 AM
PSN Mega Miler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'powerstroke7.3 View Post
UHHHH. PLEASE correct me if I am wrong but if you were running said hydrogen car wouldnt you use WATER to fill it up on the HHO side??? and gasoline for the other side if there was one.
Umm I think you have the real future of cars confused with the bunch wanting to make a tiny bit of hydrogen from water. Nothing to even compare between whats being discussed in this thread and the hho vapor makers.

The hydrogen cars being discussed in this thread are the real deal. They dont make hydrogen at all. You stop at a station and fill up just like you do now at a gas station but its a hydrogen station. The bmw one has the same get up and go and performance as a gasser, just a bunch cheaper to operate.

I honestly believe one day the hho stuff will get there, but I dont think it will be anytime soon.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 04:18 AM
MPG Moderator

Please keep that hydrogen car parked in a very, very well-ventilated area.

Hydrogen's explosive limits are 3% (by volume) to 96%. By compaison gasoline is combustible in a very narrow range of 13-16% by volume.

Hydrogen diffuses through metal very quickly.

2000 F-350 SC 4x2 6 speed
3.08 gears Gear Vendor Overdrive
Slammed 4"
Rugged Air Dam
315,000 miles
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 04:29 AM
PSN Mega Miler

But hydrogen diffuses in the atmosphere so far its nearly impossible to ignite it without a very steady stream coming up. Plus it burns so low temp wise its not likely to ignite anything that isnt already very flamable if I remember correctly.

Not that I have anything to worry about, no way in hell I could afford one of the new bmw hydrogen 7 series :)

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 04:38 AM
PSN Mega Miler

I was just thinking about what I posted to the post about it needing to be vented and I have to agree with you about making sure its vented good. All I was thinking was about how safe it is to disperse but in a garage it cant disperse. Sorry.

Heres some tips on hydrogen if anyones interested in it in general saftey wise, but again I agree on keeping the vehicle in a vented area since this stuff only applies to it being outside.

1. Is hydrogen more dangerous than gasoline?

Since any fuel we use is flammable, it is inherently dangerous. Hydrogen is often used as a gaseous fuel, which makes it similar to natural gas and town gas, which have been used in America, Europe, and Asia for heating and lighting for almost two centuries. One difference is that hydrogen is nontoxic, so it’s not harmful to breathe. It’s also so light that it scatters immediately upward when there is a leak, rather than pooling about, polluting groundwater, and soaking into clothes. The end assessment is that when hydrogen is handled with care appropriate to any gaseous fuel, it is safer than fuels in standard use.

2. Is burning hydrogen like the hydrogen bomb?

No. Burning hydrogen, just like burning gasoline, natural gas, or a candle, is a chemical reaction, which means that only the electrons get shifted around and new compounds are made, like water, but the basic atoms are the same. In a nuclear reaction, the actual nucleus of the atom (the protons and neutrons) is changed.

3. Did hydrogen cause the Hindenburg to burn?

No. It turns out that the coating of the Hindenburg airship was treated with two major components of rocket fuel, aluminum and iron oxide. When the airship was docking in 1937, an electrical discharge ignited the skin, and the fire raced over the surface of the airship. In fact, 35 of the 37 people who died, perished from jumping or falling to the ground. Only two of the victims died of burns, and these were from the burning coating and on-board diesel. The hydrogen burned quickly, upward and away from the people.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 04:39 AM
PSN Mega Miler

Some asked in another thread about this one.

8. What will happen to all the water put into the air? Will the climate be changed?

The amount of water put into the air from hydrogen combustion won't even be detected by your local meteorologist, when checking the moisture content of the air. Consider that all internal combustion engines that burn fossil fuels, such as gasoline, diesel or natural gas, produce water vapor that vents into the air. Changing engines to pure hydrogen will produce about the same amount of water vapor, while eliminating all of the carbon and sulfur emissions.
Hydrogen Now supports using renewable energy to produce hydrogen, via the process of electrolysis, where water is separated into its two basic components: hydrogen and oxygen. When hydrogen is burned in an engine, or used in a fuel cell, the end product is water. The net result of the complete circle is that there is no more or no less water in the environment than at the beginning of the cycle.
Some other points of interest:
1) When gasoline, diesel or natural gas is burned, water vapor is produced. Burning hydrogen instead of these fuels will emit about the same amount of water vapor.
2) The amount of water emitted by automobiles using hydrogen is so insignificant that it will have no effect on weather.
3) Burning hydrogen instead of fossil fuels will clean the air.
4) Each gallon of gasoline requires 18 gallons of water during the refining process. Much of this water is vented to the atmosphere as steam.
5) Burning fossil fuels add sulfur oxides (resulting in acid rain), nitrogen oxides, soot and other pollutants which greatly affect weather throughout the world. Burning hydrogen produces none of the same pollutants, except minor amounts of nitrogen oxides, which can be controlled by modifying the engines properly.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 07:03 AM
HEARING IMPAIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowz View Post
Umm I think you have the real future of cars confused with the bunch wanting to make a tiny bit of hydrogen from water. Nothing to even compare between whats being discussed in this thread and the hho vapor makers.

The hydrogen cars being discussed in this thread are the real deal. They dont make hydrogen at all. You stop at a station and fill up just like you do now at a gas station but its a hydrogen station. The bmw one has the same get up and go and performance as a gasser, just a bunch cheaper to operate.

I honestly believe one day the hho stuff will get there, but I dont think it will be anytime soon.
Ahhhh. I see said the blind man to the deaf mute. Thanks. I have a group of guys experimenting with HHO generators on their mercedes diesels. Results show about a 10 mpg increase hwy. I am new to all of the latest and greatest. Although I am running on FREE fuel for the time being. Not bio but close and I dont pay for anything but filters. So I guess technically its not free.

2003 PSD 7.3 L, STRAIGHT PIPE, BD POWER DIGITAL X-MONIOR, TS 6 POS CHIP, BHAF, IDM MOD, 10K MOD, SOME CHROME.

'75 F-100 Custom. Restoration/Project Build

Daniel

I have enough stickers to make 400HP

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode