Mods for Mileage - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Mods for Mileage

I currently have a 7.3 PSD 4x4 CC DRW and Long Bed. I am getting ready to mod this truck for fuel mileage. Some of the mods that I am considering are:

1. Exhaust : 4" or 5" ; single or dual exit.
2. Truck bed cover : Solid or retractable.
3. Air Intake - considering hood with scoops for ram air or possible cold air pack.
4. Computer module: Considering the EDGE modules
5. Gear Reduction : Gear Vendors.

I'd like to know what experience others have had with these mods and what mileage gains you saw from them.

Rick

2001 Ford F350 Lariat LE 7.3 PSD
Crew Cab, 4 x 4, Long Bed, Dual Rear Wheels

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

One Big A$$ Mistake America
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 08:15 PM
OBS junkie

Re: Mods for Mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 428qbird View Post
I currently have a 7.3 PSD 4x4 CC DRW and Long Bed. I am getting ready to mod this truck for fuel mileage. Some of the mods that I am considering are:

1. Exhaust : 4" or 5" ; single or dual exit. 4" is just fine, you won't gain anything with 5" but it will look & sound better. Duals are useless preformance wise but they can look good too.
2. Truck bed cover : Solid or retractable. As long as it's a flat bed cover it really won't matter, forget the camper shells though
3. Air Intake - considering hood with scoops for ram air or possible cold air pack. If you have a homemade Tymar with the Zoo Dad mod then you have just about all the air you need
4. Computer module: Considering the EDGE modules I'd skip the Edge & go straight to something like a DP Tuner or Wildman (if you have something against DP) since it's alot finer tuned to your personal truck
5. Gear Reduction : Gear Vendors. Hear good things about em but no personal exp

I'd like to know what experience others have had with these mods and what mileage gains you saw from them.

Rick
Those things right there will help out some since you already have a good driving habit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

97 F350 CCLB "Da Bus"

RIP Will Iott
"This ain't no practice run"

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboyrob View Post
And remember, he's cat rebel....he doesn't do it the normal way.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 03:37 AM
PSN Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Tedzz

properly inflated tires and good maintenance habits also help. how you use your right foot is gonna be the biggest factor IMHO

'99 F350 Type 6
'85 F450 Type 6

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 07:50 PM
Monkeys have armpits!

Motorcycle... Best mod i did for mileage!

2005 F-250 FX4 CC
bought it, then changed it.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 08:06 PM
DILLIGAFF

Send a message via AIM to Redfish

Use Syn fluids next time you change your diffs and T case oil.

2006 F-250 CC King Ranch, Harley Headlights w/ 55w HIDs
ARP studs, MBRP 4" exhaust and AM Colbalts By:
, AFE stg. 2 Pro Guard 7 from XDP, SCT from innovative!
14.09 @ 94 1.85 60'

~

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 08:14 PM
PSN Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Tedzz

(and throw a banks sticker on the side,,,good for 2 mpg,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,)

'99 F350 Type 6
'85 F450 Type 6
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 08:20 PM
OBS junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedzz View Post
(and throw a banks sticker on the side,,,good for 2 mpg,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,)
Atleast

97 F350 CCLB "Da Bus"

RIP Will Iott
"This ain't no practice run"

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboyrob View Post
And remember, he's cat rebel....he doesn't do it the normal way.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 04:22 AM
MPG Moderator

From my experience I’d say the following:

Forget the exhaust and intake mods unless you want them for something other than MPG. I did the Poor Man’s Tymar and a 4” exhaust and saw zero improvement in MPG from either.

A tonneau cover – either hard or soft – is an excellent idea. Expect 2-3 MPG improvement.

Forget the computer module. They are great for speed, acceleration, and smoke but won’t help MPG. Most will hurt your MPG. I have a specially burned MPG-special chip and it only helped me 0.75 MPG. You have a lot of cheaper things to do yet.

An overdrive unit – both Gear Vendors and US Gear make good units – will definitely improve your MPG. They are salty and I suggest you consult your favorite automatic transmission guru about them. They slow down the engine and the TC and that will cut fluid flow through the cooler. If your guy says “No problem” then go for it. I would expect a 2-3 MPG improvement.

My improvement expectations are based on your driving cycle to be much like mine – about evenly split between urban/suburban, rural roads, and Interstate and you driving the posted limit for each.

I assume you have checked your brakes for dragging.

These trucks are very sensitive to tire inflation. I run 100 psi (25% overinflation) on my OEM-style Firebombs.

The number one most effective mod is to adjust the nut behind the wheel. One good hardware aid is a pyrometer. Drive to keep it below 600 degrees and the RPM below 2000. Check out www.cleanmpg.com Ignore the politics and check out the articles linked on the right side of the home page. They cover “hypermiler” driving. Unless you are far crazier than I am you will never do all the stuff he does. He is the extreme, but he has the goods – numerous documented instances of getting over 100 MPG and routinely double the EPA mileage figure. I think he gets 47 MPG out of a Ranger. Take what you think you can use and forget the rest.

I would encourage 428qbird to peruse this forum. Lots of good stuff in here.

2000 F-350 SC 4x2 6 speed
3.08 gears Gear Vendor Overdrive
Slammed 4"
Rugged Air Dam
315,000 miles
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

thanks for the input. I have been following this forum and a couple of others. There is lots of good information here. I have my truck getting from 18-19 MPG combined mileage now. I woudl like to increase it to the mid 20s if possible.

Rick

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Dave,

If I need to keep my EGT below 600 F wouldn't the 4" or 5" exhaust help that?

Thanks for the link. My daughter has a hybrid escape and is getting just over 50 mpg. I'll check out his link and see if there is something that we can use.

Rick

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode