Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

2 cycle oil for mpgs and clean fuel???

22K views 51 replies 21 participants last post by  brads96 stroker 
#1 ·
I hear alot about guys adding 2 cycle oil to help clean the diesel fuel and for mpgs. Has anybody done this and has it let to any problems wih injectors or anything else? Also what was the results as far as smotther running engine and mpgs increasing? What kind of oil(be precise please) and how much do you add? I have a 40 gallon tank....tell me what yall think and how it has hurt or helped you!!!!!!

#2 ·
I had read on here about adding 2 cycle oil and started doing so last fall. One once per gallon of the walmart oil. I feel it has quieted the injectors down as it replaces the lubrication lost when refining the fuel down to ultra low sulfur. I have had no issues to date and will continue to add at fillups. I thought I had read it was bad for the emmisions on newer trucks. Currently I think I am around 17 mpg. I should be filling up this weekend and will know for sure.

#3 ·
I used to run it in my 99 24v Cummins. It helped the mileage. Gave me about 2 or more mpg better than anything else. I am running very low on my Schaeffer DT 2000 and was wondering about 2 cycle again. I was running Valvoline Multi-purpose and running at a quart a tank, which was 38 gallons or so.

Valvoline.com Multi-Purpose 2-Cycle Engine Oil

#5 ·
how many miles have yall been doing this.....anybody done it on a newer model like 2003-2009...mine is a 2006 6.0 350

#8 ·
Remember, I was running a Cummins, but.......I ran it a year or so, so maybe 20-25k miles? No issues. Switched to Schaeffer Diesel Treat 2000 after that. Got much the same mileage and the jug was easier to store in the tool box. I don't give a rats azz what anyone says about the mileage...my calculator didn't lie to me.:doh: It easily gained at least 2mpg on a Dodge Cummins over straight diesel. That was pulling 10k in the hills, too. Have yet to try it on the PSD I am running now. I will say this...the Schaeffer isn't doing as well with the PSD as it did with the Cummins. No mileage difference at all. Transmission fluid did as well or better, IMO. Its quite possible the two stroke won't react the same as it did in the 5.9 Cummins. My CAT and M-11 Cummins didn't really care for it either.

#7 ·
When running it I never saw any mpg changes but it did seem to smooth out at idle with it.

#10 ·
I'll try it soon. I have a trip coming up where I can run two back to back and compare the mpg's and everything else. Probably go down with Schaeffer and come back with the two stroke. I'm not going to hold my breath, though. Even when new, my PSD's never got as good in the MPGs as my other trucks. :(

Cost is another consideration. Schaeffer DT is costing me less than 2 bucks a fill up. I haven't priced the oil of late, but I would bet its going to be more.

#11 ·
10 4 avenger...how much do you add...ive got a 40 gallon tank!!! is the kind you use ashless....i see some people say make suer its ashless

#12 ·
I will probably just run it like I do the trans fluid. Half a bottle in the front and half in the back, full quart total. Mine is 38 gals., so I don't see an issue with a full quart in yours. Couldn't hurt to try anyway. Yes, its ashless...TC-W3. As long as it conforms to that spec, you are good.

#24 ·
I ran it for a few years and never had any trouble. When I bought the new 6.7 I discontinued use. Only ran it in my 7.3 and 6.2(old chevy diesel)

#26 ·
I use it when i remember its not every tank its about every 3rd.

#27 ·
I use the 2stroke oil with every fillup at just under an oz per gallon. It made an almost immediate change in teh clackety clatter of the engine to a much quieter smooth sound. The change in sound from the addition of this lube tells me that there was a lack of lube in there. It is not for mpg, makes no difference there. It's for lube of diesel fuel system with all of the parts that depend on fuel for lube.

#29 ·
I've been running the wal mart tcw3 2 stroke oil in my 7.3 for probably 50,000 miles. No MPG improvement at all, however it does quiet the injectors down so that tells me it's putting some lube back in the fuel, and for 10 bucks a gallon it's worth it to me. And I have not seen any issues with my fuel filters, but I use 1oz pr gallon or a little less.

#30 ·
Diesel Power did a test that showed a mileage improvement using TCW3 at 1/2 oz per gallon (I don't have a copy of test but I think it was 2 mpg).

This test show a big improvement in lubricity over LSD fuel. In my opinion, more lubricity = less friction and wear. Potentially that should equal better mileage.

I have been using TCW 3 oil for a couple of years and my stuff runs quiet and has not blown up. Don't know about mileage, my 550 doesn't have the gearing for good mileage.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.