speed - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Jack Ken

speed

I took a short trip this week and reset the ol lie o meter and was wathing it in the Ex. When I was at a steady 57ish the meter was reading 20.5. When I sped up on the interstate to 68ish it dropped to 16.5. Now Im not saying these are 100% accurate but with my chip on and then the speedo not recalibrated for the bigger tires it has been farily close to actual mpg. Anyone else notice that BIG of a change in that 10mph? Cause thats HUGE! I knew it would be less but never thought that much. Has anyone done an actual test at a constat 55-60 on a whole tank on a lifted truck to see if my meter is close?

2003 Exursion 7.3 diesel exhaust, intake, ts chip, banks exhaust housing, big head actuator all sittin on 20s w/ 35s.
1989 F350 460 propane, 4inch lift 39.5s
1988 bronco ii 2.3 turbo motor on propane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 12:14 PM
PSN Local

Re: speed

I know on the cars i have had with lie o meters best feul milage was had at about 55 if you wanted to drive that slow. At 70 it would go down a mile or two per gallon and at 75 it would go down another mile or two. So i can defianately see that happening especially with lift and 35's. Wind also makes a bigger differance than most people think so if you were going into a head wind that could of exagerated it.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 12:59 AM
MPG Moderator

Increasing your speed from 57 to 68 (a 19% increase) increases aero drag HP by 70%.

Aero HP increases with the cube of speed.

2000 F-350 SC 4x2 6 speed
3.08 gears Gear Vendor Overdrive
Slammed 4"
Rugged Air Dam
315,000 miles

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
Jack Ken

So it sounds like the ol lie o meter was fairly consistant then. Now if I could only convince the wife to leave for work 2 minutes sooner our mpg average should go form 13 to around 14 or more... at 4 dollar fuel adds up fast.

2003 Exursion 7.3 diesel exhaust, intake, ts chip, banks exhaust housing, big head actuator all sittin on 20s w/ 35s.
1989 F350 460 propane, 4inch lift 39.5s
1988 bronco ii 2.3 turbo motor on propane
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 02:08 PM
PSN Local

Fordman, I have done the same thing in my Ex. If I can tuck behind a big rig down the freeway the best I have seen on the lie o meeter is 22.5 mpg with my stock wheels and tires. With my 285/75R16's the best is 20. I have not hand calculated a tank from doing this, but i have hand calculated other trips and the lie o meter is pretty darn accurate in my truck.

03 EB EXcursion 6.0L
AFE intake
Edge Juice W/Attitude (gauges only)
Glow Shift Oil, Coolant, & Trans temp gauges
SCT X3 w/ xtreme street from Innovative
MBRP 4" turbo back
ARP studs
Jefferson State Diesel Coolant Filtration System
FICM modded by Jefferson State Diesel
Slotted brake rotors (front)
Mag-Hytec trans pan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode