tc lockup - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Bill

tc lockup

Ive been looking around on guzzle's page. And I was curious when the tc lockup would come in handy? I pull a lot of trailers and thought maybe while in the hills it might come in handy. But I dont know what it would do to a stock transmission. well just a ftvb added for now.

02 f350 larit, itp rr & pre pump filter, GTP38r, international up pipes, swamps 175/146 single shot's, DP tuner, factory tech valve body & lot of extra lights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 05:11 AM
X Racer

Re: tc lockup

Actually thats part of what ATS does with a plastic box with a flashy decal on it. Controller or whatever silly name it is applies the converter clutch and their exhaust brake. It's just a flapper like your exhaust back pressure valve. The little box full of $4 radio shack resistors is suppose to close the valve and apply the TCC without stalling the engine, to help slow you down.

It's expensive for what it is. I'd rather have a real stand alone exhaust brake that wouldn't risk shredding my clutch.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Bill

the more I read on this I think the same. I cant afford a new trany or turbo so I will be leaving this alone. I reliegh on the truck way to much to expermint like that. brake pads and rotors are much cheaper and easyier

02 f350 larit, itp rr & pre pump filter, GTP38r, international up pipes, swamps 175/146 single shot's, DP tuner, factory tech valve body & lot of extra lights

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007, 01:38 AM
X Racer

S P diesel, and others, have an electronic type "exhaust brake" that uses the Ford EBPV. It's a manual toggle switch that closes the valve. A version like that will do no harm. Easier on the wallet for now. The trailer brakes will be the least $ to replace. A good old style trailer brake controller you could crank up would be a plus.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Bill

Yeah my 27ft enclosed trailer has a good set of brakes on both axles. They slow it down pretty well. but my last trip through kingman az to lauglin nv was heck on the brakes. It is a long step grade for quite a few miles. Loaded It was very hard to stop for the town. you could smell all the brakes were hot. I down shifted a littel but I was affraid of hurting the trans so I stoped that. my wieght ticket said 17600 lbs for the truck and trailer. not a fith wheel but still a lot of weight.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode