Buddy has reverse, no forward gears - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Buddy has reverse, no forward gears

I just pulled my friends truck off the mountain! He has a 2001 Powerstroke automatic transmission. He was pulling trees out in 4 Low in reverse but then was unable to move forward in D, 2, or 1. If he revs the motor to about 3,500 and lets off it will move forward about 2 inches when the RPM's decrees to around 2,500. The Tranny was rebuilt about 35,000 miles ago and he had HD clutches put in and HD torque converter. He would like to know if anyone might know what is wrong with the limited info I gave. Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 10:41 PM
PSN nerd

Re: Buddy has reverse, no forward gears

busted planetary or clutch basket. will it still go in reverse?

97 F250SC 4X4 4 LINKED ON AIR <- FOR SALE!!!!!!

00 F350CC 4x4 I NEED A FLATBED FOR IT!!!!! LET ME KNOW IF YALL KNOW ANYBODY THAT HAS ONE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 01:23 AM
PSN Newb

Low on fluid? I know is sounds silly but check the simple things first.

2000 F350 Longbed
Bullydog triple dog
MBRP 4inch exhaust
Ford AIS intake

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 03:00 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by otis_301 View Post
I just pulled my friends truck off the mountain! He has a 2001 Powerstroke automatic transmission. He was pulling trees out in 4 Low in reverse but then was unable to move forward in D, 2, or 1. If he revs the motor to about 3,500 and lets off it will move forward about 2 inches when the RPM's decrees to around 2,500. The Tranny was rebuilt about 35,000 miles ago and he had HD clutches put in and HD torque converter. He would like to know if anyone might know what is wrong with the limited info I gave. Thanks for the help!
One of my transmissions had that issue. Forward clutch?

1994 F-700 Cummins 5.9 12v and Arbortech chip body

1999 International 4900 DT466E w/Allison auto, flatbed 60' rear mount altec am855 boom.

2001 F-350 7.3 4x4 reg cab, single shots, BTS trans,
35" toyo mt's on black 18" KMC addicts

2006 F-350 6.0 4x4 cc lariat, 20" stock wheels with toyo at's....waiting for studs and all that.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Fluid is fine, nice bright red not burnt. Reverse is solid. I was thinking pump and/or TC.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 09:58 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

It certainly can't be the pump or the torque converter. They both do the exact same thing in forward and reverse. If reverse works then both the converter and pump work.

I'm betting on a mechanical failure inside the trans.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

thanks, appreciate the input, definitely not what he wanted to hear after a $5000 rebuild 35,000 miles ago.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 03:16 PM
Crazy Talk

Send a message via AIM to powerstrokenstang

i was thinkin reverse and 1st use the same clutches, so prob a hard part since its clean fluid.

1996 F-250 ex-cab -D60- Motor,fire hoses-Nate,Tuning,Cam-Matt R,P-rods,dummy plugs-Wipe Out,Huffer-Engineered diesel,Carson,Gen3,Idm-Swamps,Rods,studs,fire rings-WOP,Clutch-Valair
455/400's in,S475 T-6 mounted

'84 f-350 2wd, 6.9l, 4spd, drw, flatbed. For Sale

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 04:47 PM
PSN nerd

5g shoulda got one hell of a warranty! and a bunch of good hard parts bts of jw transmission is less than that

97 F250SC 4X4 4 LINKED ON AIR <- FOR SALE!!!!!!

00 F350CC 4x4 I NEED A FLATBED FOR IT!!!!! LET ME KNOW IF YALL KNOW ANYBODY THAT HAS ONE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode