I need a ZF5 rebuilder, No. Cali/NV - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I need a ZF5 rebuilder, No. Cali/NV

So here is my situation...I live in Reno, NV. I have a 1997 PSD with a ZF5 transmission. The clutch is gone. The syncros in the trans are wasted. I need this truck going asap. I have the new clutch kit, and I have the trans rebuild kit with bearings, seals and syncros. I work at an auto repair shop, but we don't know or deal with thing 1 about transmissions...Trying to save a buck and get my hands dirty to the point I am familiar with, I want to pull the transmission out and take it to someone to be rebuilt (because I don't know how to properly do it, despite Alldata's guide...I don't want to do it twice, plus I need a quick turn around).
To my suprise, I open the phonebook and start calling, and every major trans rebuilder says they won't touch a tranny out of the truck, but they will be happy to take the whole vehicle and do it (haha, thats what, an additional 8-10 hrs of labor to r/r it? lol...wonder why they want that)
So, I have had to resort to the smaller shops and backyard mechanics upon referral from others...and every one says they won't touch it because they don't have the proper tools required. I even put a CL ad titled "Transmission rebuilder needed...cash in hand", and have had no hits. No junkyards have any, and other used/rebuilt/whatever ones that I can find are $2,000+ (which is too much money) WHAT DO I DO? I am getting to the point where I am willing to travel to get this work done...Is there anyone from Northern Nevada or Northern California that can help refer me to anyone that can get this done asap?
I went on Rotunda Tools website and from the tool part numbers I have, only a couple of the numbers cross reference, but some of the other major ones are not listed. Snap On and Cornwell are of no help. I know some homebrew tools, and that thought just scares me. I really don't want to have to resort to doing it myself as 1/2 of those I hear from say its easy, and the others say its f**k'd...and the fact guys who do it one the side for cash money won't even touch it really has me concerned. Thanks.

1997 F250 7.3 4x4 5-spd, stock -190k; purchased June 2010...First diesel and love it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 01:46 AM
PSN Local

Re: I need a ZF5 rebuilder, No. Cali/NV

you might try talking to a 18 wheeler repair shop/dealer and find out where they ship their trannies for repair

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 03:37 AM
PSN Local

Have you called Six States? They have a branch in Elko. I know the one here in Boise would do it.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrogen View Post
you might try talking to a 18 wheeler repair shop/dealer and find out where they ship their trannies for repair
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave186 View Post
Have you called Six States? They have a branch in Elko. I know the one here in Boise would do it.

Thanks :) I'll be makin more phonecalls come Monday based on your suggestions

1997 F250 7.3 4x4 5-spd, stock -190k; purchased June 2010...First diesel and love it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode