Heat Issues 4r100 - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Heat Issues 4r100

What could cause a 4r100 to run abnormally hot all of a sudden? I can hit 200-215* on a 20 minute drive into town, now it is hot here with temps hitting triple digits mid day but i used to barely hit 190 on the same trip a month ago.

Bad cooler?
Stopped up lines?
Internal issues?

Im not looking for "Oh just throw a 6.0 or trucool on it", I know how to keep it cool, i want to know why it just started running hotter than normal "overnight"

I may just take it in to the shop that rebuilt it and take full advantage of my warranty

99.5 F250, 4x4, Lariat, CC/SB, 4r100 Gauges, Intake, Exhaust, Lots of black/smoked parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltaine View Post
I ride solo, being able to converse with yourself is a skill that creeps up on you.
Black Ops 360
Gamertag; See Ya LATER 73
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 09:45 PM
A Ghost these days...

Re: Heat Issues 4r100

Might try a flush and filter change.... When is the last time that it had one?

Can you feel your converter slipping? That will definatly cause it to heat up.

2002 F-250 4X4 Flatbed

~Cryo'd Forged Rods ~Comp 910's ~DI Push Rods ~ARP Studs ~IH Up-pipes ~GTP38R/1.15 ~238/80's ~Fuelab ~Built Auto ~Matt's Tunes ~Water Inj. ~Gooseneck Brand Flatbed

Rockin' Out with some help from: Alpine / Rockford Fosgate / Memphis / Infinity
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 02:43 AM
"Smoke A Lil Smoke"

I am willing to bet your tranny cooler crossover line is not opening and letting oil through to the cooler.check this test out to check it.
from thediesel site
Detailed Description
The Ford R4100 automatic transmission has this device installed on the passenger side between the two cooler lines. It's designed to bypass the cooler when fluid temps are cold to aid in quicker warming to operating temps. It will also bypass fluid if the coolers are blocking flow for any reason. This device can fail at some time. If you find yourself having higher than normal operating temps or temps climbing out of control while your towing, chances are this little device is your problem. It's an easy install. It takes about 20 minutes and you lose very little transmission fluid. See below how to tell if this is your problem.

*****Important Note: We get questions from time to time about the validity of removing this device to eliminate having the replace it from time to time. This is FOOLISH! While it may be an inconvenience that it failed, the worst thing that it cost you is a little time, a new valve and new fluid. If you removed it and the cooler were blocked, you'd lose the transmission in a matter of seconds.

Q: How do I tell if my bypass valve is faulty?

Read the following answer as how to test the coolers and bypass valves.

A: IMPORTANT! The temps should be measured in the pressure port in the driver side of the transmission body. If you are measuring temps from a tee in the output line, temps will read about 30 degrees hotter than temps read from the pressure port.

TESTING:

Bring the transmission up to temperature. It needs to be at least 100 degrees for this test.
Turn the truck off.
Remove the rear line from the transmission and place it into a bucket or similar container so that you can measure volume of your flow.
Have someone turn the truck on.
At idle (in park), you should measure 32 ounces of fluid in your bucket - in 15 seconds or less. This is an absolute minimum number. A properly working transmission will flow that amount in about 10 seconds or less. You should not see ANY fluid pumping out of the rear transmission port.
TEST RESULTS:

If you have the proper amount of flow, your transmission pump and coolers are working fine. SO, if you are running hot and have the proper flow (with no fluid coming out of the rear transmission port), you most likely have a mechanical problem causing high heat. This could be torque converter slippage or one of many other internal problems. You may have to see a professional at this point to help diagnose the problem.
If you do not have proper flow, OR you have fluid coming out of the transmission rear port, you either have a cooler blockage, OR a faulty cooler bypass valve. Here's how to tell.
Trace the forward transmission line to the front of the truck.
Remove the line from the 1st place it enters a cooler or the radiator (if so equipped).
Now, do the same flow test checking flow at this point.
There are two outcomes.
The first is that you now have enough fluid flow- this means your cooler /coolers are partially blocked. To determine which cooler is plugged you would perform the same flow test through one cooler at a time.
The second outcome will be that you don't have enough flow even with all coolers disconnected. This means you have an internal pump problem.
IMPORTANT! The outcome of this test assumes that you have NO fluid exiting the rear port of the transmission. If you perform a flow test with the coolers disconnected and you get fluid from the rear port on the transmission, your cooler bypass valve is bad.

2004 f250 egr delete,studded,fass 95,suncoast convertor,itp RR,Banks intercooler,58v tuned ficm,Powermax turbo,Matts tunes,6in Icon and 35 toyos 20x12 fuels
Early 99 exlb 4wd-SOLD All Shaeffer oil
Will Iott -8/24/84-7/4/10 "We miss you buddy"

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 02:45 AM
PSN Veteran

Gutless automatic. Glad I got rid of that problem.

Sorry, had to, burn't up three heavy duty Ford remans with decent tc's towing.

2008 F-250 SCLB Larait.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 03:35 AM
Don't EFN worry about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore20017.3 View Post
Gutless automatic. Glad I got rid of that problem.

Sorry, had to, burn't up three heavy duty Ford remans with decent tc's towing.
Way to add to the thread ............

97 crew cab shorty-4x4 Lots of mods .
Tuned by T Wildman
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 03:46 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aljay View Post
Way to add to the thread ............
Added more than you!

If this is for a towing app, forget the auto. For a dd an auto is fine. There happy now!

2008 F-250 SCLB Larait.

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 04:10 AM
28 cent #2

If you have a warranty I'd take it to the builder and let them have at it. As you said might as well take advantage of the warranty while you have it.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 09:02 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy View Post
I am willing to bet your tranny cooler crossover line is not opening and letting oil through to the cooler.check this test out to check it.
It needs to be closed to send fluid to the cooler. When it's open fluid bypasses the cooler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy View Post
It's designed to bypass the cooler when fluid temps are cold to aid in quicker warming to operating temps. It will also bypass fluid if the coolers are blocking flow for any reason........

If you perform a flow test with the coolers disconnected and you get fluid from the rear port on the transmission, your cooler bypass valve is bad.
The bypass DOES NOT aid in warming up the trans. It's sole purpose is to maintain flow to the lubrication circuit in the rear half of the trans if there is a restriction in the cooler circuit.

If you get fluid from the rear port during this test it is possible that the bypass is stuck open. It is more likely that there is a restriction in the cooler circuit causing the bypass to open.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 03:51 PM
"Smoke A Lil Smoke"

thats all from Bob at dieselsite.com So your saying Bob is wrong and doesn't know what he is talking about?And if it takes over 100 degrees to open then I would assume it is because of temps as stated .If that was the case it wouldn't need to wait to open when trans is up to temp.And FYI I did the delete of mine per John woods instructions years ago.John aslo said it was for helping the temps get up to operating quicker.

2004 f250 egr delete,studded,fass 95,suncoast convertor,itp RR,Banks intercooler,58v tuned ficm,Powermax turbo,Matts tunes,6in Icon and 35 toyos 20x12 fuels
Early 99 exlb 4wd-SOLD All Shaeffer oil
Will Iott -8/24/84-7/4/10 "We miss you buddy"
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by farm boy View Post
Might try a flush and filter change.... When is the last time that it had one?

Can you feel your converter slipping? That will definatly cause it to heat up.
I will be flushing it sometime in the next 2 weeks. Is mercon all that can be used? Nothing off the "aftermarket" any better?

I manually lock my converter 90% of the time, when i dont it still locks just fine, no slipping

99.5 F250, 4x4, Lariat, CC/SB, 4r100 Gauges, Intake, Exhaust, Lots of black/smoked parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltaine View Post
I ride solo, being able to converse with yourself is a skill that creeps up on you.
Black Ops 360
Gamertag; See Ya LATER 73

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode