4 to 5 speed auto possible? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

4 to 5 speed auto possible?

have e99 4r100, wondering if its possible to put the 5 speed from a 6.0 in it, or whatever the 6.4's have, hell even the new 6.7? would assume that input shaft would be custom, adapter for new trans to bolt to 7.3, and some adapter to transfer case, custom output shaft and custom tunes. relocating transfer case and changing drive shafts to i suppose. like the 4r100, but gears closer together would make pulling nicer, and my dad had a '05 and i liked the spread of the gears better than the 4r100. so here is another half baked ? is it possible to add another gear to the 4r100, (the alcohol is partially affecting my ? asking ability)

2010 f350 srw lariat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 08:53 PM
PSN Local

Re: 4 to 5 speed auto possible?

Our trucks do not have the "brains" to operate the tranny. While anything is "possible" it is not a realistic swap
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 01:08 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Anything is possible. It would be A LOT cheaper to scrap your truck and buy the most expensive new one made. You don't need custom tunes, you need custom software and a custom computer. That's going to run you somewhere between $100k and $250k, unless you run into unforeseen problems. Then the cost will REALLY start to go up.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 01:18 AM
Fummins 6.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree trimmer View Post
have e99 4r100, wondering if its possible to put the 5 speed from a 6.0 in it, or whatever the 6.4's have, hell even the new 6.7? would assume that input shaft would be custom, adapter for new trans to bolt to 7.3, and some adapter to transfer case, custom output shaft and custom tunes. relocating transfer case and changing drive shafts to i suppose. like the 4r100, but gears closer together would make pulling nicer, and my dad had a '05 and i liked the spread of the gears better than the 4r100. so here is another half baked ? is it possible to add another gear to the 4r100, (the alcohol is partially affecting my ? asking ability)
DESTROKED: Cummins Conversions > they can point you in the right direction, as far as a tranny swap if your wanting to do this much, you really could pick any transmission, (ford, dodge, chevy) you'll need a stand-a-lone computer for the trany (Programmable Electronic Automatic Transmission Controller - $ 850.00 this would be for Ford E40D, 4R100, 5R110. Gm 4L80E ect. ect.
or you could go with Allison Stand alone controller 5speed - $1599.00
Includes Allison TCM, XFC, TPS adapter and complete harness.) these are 2 of several different controller options. destroked can help with adaptors and other idea's or questions, good luck

06 F-250 CCLB 5.9 Cummins CR, Allison 1000 automatic transmission, o-ringed block, HAM-CAM head studs, HD valve springs, HD high forged pushrods, Twins with S480,(76x88) DDP 120hp injectors 220GPH FASS a bizillion adaptors, rear ladderbars, 20's, 5" SS MBRP turbo back custom tuned Smarty TNT by smarty
estimating 700-800 RWHP
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

so, if you could to pick a trans, what would you pik? i simply want another gear, so my lack of trans knowledge says 5r110, when buddy works at salvage yard, my pik of a new trans is cheap, some direction would be nice on trans to pik, to then be shipped off to be built,

2010 f350 srw lariat
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 03:42 AM
Fummins 6.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree trimmer View Post
so, if you could to pick a trans, what would you pik? i simply want another gear, so my lack of trans knowledge says 5r110, when buddy works at salvage yard, my pik of a new trans is cheap, some direction would be nice on trans to pik, to then be shipped off to be built,
5R110 is a extremely strong transmission if its powered by a stock 7.3 but a 5r110 was made for the 6.0 which has a short stroke giving ability to run much higher RPM and 5r110 is the hardest trans to program and not cheap either parts or labor. with all of that said, I wouldn't advise you to buy anything, one, I have no exprerence with a 4r100 or your situtation, I'm just trying to help locate info.

06 F-250 CCLB 5.9 Cummins CR, Allison 1000 automatic transmission, o-ringed block, HAM-CAM head studs, HD valve springs, HD high forged pushrods, Twins with S480,(76x88) DDP 120hp injectors 220GPH FASS a bizillion adaptors, rear ladderbars, 20's, 5" SS MBRP turbo back custom tuned Smarty TNT by smarty
estimating 700-800 RWHP

Last edited by Fummins 6.0; 08-13-2010 at 03:44 AM. Reason: re-read what were taking about
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 03:47 AM
Fummins 6.0

I know thats not much advise but you reallly need to talk to someone at destroked. you could learn alot from them really quick and would have much better advice than me

estimating 700-800 RWHP

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode