torque convertor quit locking up - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Addicted

torque convertor quit locking up

i shucked the stock trans out of my truck after 10k miles with hybrids and 225k on the trans, so my truck was down for about a month figuring out what to do my friend is parting out his truck, i bought his trans and put it in my truck knowing that it only had 6k miles on it, ATS 5 star convertor billet shafts, trans go tugger kit ATS valve body, suncoast xtreme overhaul kit, mag-hytec deep pan, this is what i've been told, anyways i put it in and also put a 6.0 cooler on it and it worked great so i thought, dont have my trans temp in my pillar hooked up just the one in the dash. the other day i'm driving it in stop and go traffic and the gauge goes up and down then stays up, get moving and it goes down, had my kid with me so i said f*** it and drove it home, before i got home the torque con stop locking up so it was slipping, plugged the scanner in and it said 228 temp, but i know it was well over that, couldnt climb under the truck cause it was so hot, and its on 38's,

Point me in the right direction, i'm tired of this trans ####, 300 miles and its ####?? stock injectors turbo and tuning, must be a bypass in the pump or something, also to note when it was stupid hot at an idle it was only reading 5psi line pressure, i'm into the motors knee deep not a trans guy. and no i dont have the money for a BTS ha thanks any help is awesome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 04:20 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: torque convertor quit locking up

ATS= another trans shot.

Sorry. Yours isnt the first ATS trans to blow up.

02 f250
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
Addicted

pretty sure i didnt ask for the meaning of ats. any help would be nice thanks

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 04:24 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Did you replace the coolers when the first trans went? If not, they are probably plugged with debris from the first failure, and now maybe debris from the second failure.

How did you get the 5PSI reading? The PCM does not know what line pressure is in the trans, it only knows what it tells the EPC to set as line pressure. There is nothing in the trans that measures line and tells the PCM.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 05:47 PM
Failure to Communicate

I would check the flow through the coolers on the return line and make sure all the speed sensors are hooked up and the electrical plug is all the way in my .02

96 F250 CC SB 4x4
DIY or Die Tryin-Fuel, Trans, Lifted and Stroked
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Addicted

i know its not the cooler cause i put the new cooler on with the new trans and blew all the lines out, checked the return line as well and everything is working, everything is plugged in and the scanner i used said the line pressure as far as i know, torque convertor will not lock up and trans overheats, i'm going to pull that piece of #### out and have it gone thru unless there is something i;m missing
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 09:45 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

What about the cooler in the radiator? Are you using it? Is it the same one that was there when the first one failed?
A scanner can't read line pressure. All it can do is tell you what the PCM wants for line pressure.

Mark

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
Addicted

still using the one in the radiator, when the first one fail, also i can understand that if that was plugged but what about the torque convertor locking up or should i say not locking up???

i drained the pan today and that fluid looks brand new and there is no metal or anything in the pan, took the valve body off and nothing there, took the shift soleinod pack off and the center valve body or accumulater down its small with 4 balls, didnt see anything out of the ordenary but i'm not a trans guy thanks for your input need this thing fixed asap
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 10:18 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

I suspect you have a plugged trans cooler in the radiator.

Mark

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 10:20 AM
PSN Veteran

time for a 6.0 cooler. ive done it to mine and temps stay down.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode