help help 94 e4od w 7.3 trans trble! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Unhappy help help 94 e4od w 7.3 trans trble!

can anyone help? i have a 94 f250 with 7.3 and e40d trans. i was having irratic shift trble, jumping out of gears, shifting hard, and even trowing itself in neutral while driving. no rhyme or reason. could be hot or cold, and both short and long trips. doesnt always do it. od light on shifter blinks throws codes for speed sensor in pumpkin and tps on throtle body. i took it to a trans shop says whole trans if fried, i have 250k on it. so he does complete rebuild of MY TRANS and new torque convrt. still having same trble so we replaced the speed sensor and tps with ford oem parts, still trble may even be worse. im stuck dont know what to do. this trans guy is dickin me around says his diagnostic cant read my comp while hes driving it so he cant see what the sensors are doing so he cant fix it. any ideas out there????? im lost and havent had my truck for 6 months because of this. any help is appreciated fellas. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 02:30 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Re: help help 94 e4od w 7.3 trans trble!

Even though it won't set a code I vote to replace the MLPS, also known as the neutral safety switch. They are known to fail by sending false neutral signals to the PCM. There was an improved version in '95 that works much better. You probably will have a new connector come with the new part because the improved sensor has a different pinout and connector.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 01:41 PM
PSN Local

Yep, replace that - when it goes screwy its like you are randomly moving the gear shift around.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

il go to ford tommarrow and pick one up. thanks il keep u updated, just getting really frustrated.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

well i put in the nuetral safety switch and have drove the truck since saturday almost error free. i appreciate the advice fellas. i did throw a code yesterday when i downshifted but it started shifting normal a mile down the road. so there is still something wrong but that mlps definatly corrected about 90% of my problem. im gonna follow the harnesses and make sure all the connections are clean and good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode