What is this part? Floating in pan. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

What is this part? Floating in pan.

Does anybody have any idea what this is and why it was floating in the transmission pan? The vehicle is a 2004 F150. Was changing fluid on it and went to pour the fluid out of the pan and this was rolling around in there. I have no idea how long it has been in there. The last trans fluid change was 60k ago and was done before I worked here, it was taken somewhere for that service. I guess it could have fallen since then, or if they just sucked the fluid out and didn't remove the pan, it could have been in there from the factory. I could not find any place that seemed like it would go into. The truck ran fine and had no transmission issues with this in the pan.

Early 99 Powerstroke
Crew Cab Short Bed Lariat 4x4
SCT Livewire w/ various custom tunes
Adrenaline
AFE stage 2
Super 66 Turbo
4" straight pipe
Modded IDM
Automatic trans: PI Converter, tugger kit
Leveling Kit w/ 35's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 10:06 PM
PSN Local

Re: What is this part? Floating in pan.

I believe that is a plug they used at the factory to keep stuff out of the dipstick tube until the dipstick was inserted.

Stormtrooper:: 1997 F-350 CC SRW PSD XLT 4X4: Baby Swamps, Wildman, SD Intercooler, CCV Mod, shimmed FPR, BTS, Baldwin air filter,triple pillar pod with Isspro gauges, 4" exh, SD dual tensioner mod, diamond cut headlights, Hadley air horns,
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 10:10 PM
PSN Veteran

That's what it is.

SWAMPS DIESEL PERFORMANCE
DIESEL INNOVATIONS
PERFORMANCE TRUCK PRODUCTS
EMPIRE DIESEL PERFORMANCE

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 10:29 PM
PSN Local

Definitely a factory dipstick tube plug and a very definite clue that the trans pan has never been removed and cleaned before. Had a 1997 f150 in my shop with 167,000 on the truck and a bad pump growl, and the plug was still floating around in there! Due to budget restraints, the customer wanted to try a filter and new fluid, against our better judgement..... Believe it or not he has lasted 6 months and it is still hanging in there but the shifts are getting more aggressive with time. Another transmission on borrowed time.

The design of the plug was to allow the assembly plant to just push the dipstick extension into the case opening and it simply pushed the plug into the pan where it did no harm and also told the repair shop what you have discovered.... Trans filter was probably never replaced!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

That was about the only thing I could think of it being. Thanks for the info guys.

Early 99 Powerstroke
Crew Cab Short Bed Lariat 4x4
SCT Livewire w/ various custom tunes
Adrenaline
AFE stage 2
Super 66 Turbo
4" straight pipe
Modded IDM
Automatic trans: PI Converter, tugger kit
Leveling Kit w/ 35's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode