7.3 ZF6 3rd & 4th gear? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

7.3 ZF6 3rd & 4th gear?

just like the title says. i was driving home from my girlfriends one night, went to shift into 4th gear was really hard going in,pulled it back out to see what was going on and it was hard to get it back out. got it back into netrual everything seamed fine so i put it back down into 4th, still was hard to get it in.drove on my marry way, got to the stop light, again was hard to get it out of 4th, pulled away from the light and was shifting normal, when to put in in 4th NOTHING, it just reved up like it was in netrual. when to shift into 5th and was all out of wack, it honestly felt like the whole gear selctor was moved around and somehow netrual was in 4th's spot. next day problem is still their, only now 3rd is doing the exact same thing, only if i moved the stick around into different gears in the right order i could put it into 3rd and it would work, only worked 4-5 times now i dont have 3rd or 4th at all.
sorry for the long post, what do you guys think is broken in the tranny?

sorry i messed up on the title,it should say '7.3 zf6 NO 3rd & 4th gear?' maybe a mod can fix it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 08:16 PM
Going Crazy

Send a message via MSN to badluck_early99
Re: 7.3 ZF6 3rd & 4th gear?

how does the shift movement feel without the truck running??? still off?

1999 F250 PS 6spd, 37x12.50x17 ProComp Xmud, 06 Grill & Lights. DP tuner, Terminator Hpops, Garrett 42, Casserly B codes, FASS Fuel system by DI, H11's, ITP Reg Return W/Bowl Delete, Sknab 6oh Intercooler, DIY Intake, 4'' Exhaust, Itp OBA, Autometer boost and pyro, , ccv

-Richard-
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

with the truck off if i put it up into 3rd it dont feel likeits grabbing any same with 4th. but when its idleing if i dont push in the cluth it goes into the 4th slot but nothing, if i pull/hold it down it kinda has a 'whine' like its wanting to grab the gear.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 10:29 PM
Going Crazy

Send a message via MSN to badluck_early99

yea sounds like its definenatly not engaging at all huh... you could pull the shift tower off and see if you can shift it and watch the levers moving in there.... guess that would be your next step

1999 F250 PS 6spd, 37x12.50x17 ProComp Xmud, 06 Grill & Lights. DP tuner, Terminator Hpops, Garrett 42, Casserly B codes, FASS Fuel system by DI, H11's, ITP Reg Return W/Bowl Delete, Sknab 6oh Intercooler, DIY Intake, 4'' Exhaust, Itp OBA, Autometer boost and pyro, , ccv

-Richard-
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 03:03 AM
PSN Veteran

shift fork. Mine did the same thing I drove around for a few months and it was a burr in the 3-4 fork and a few other little things cost me about 800 including the 400 dollar bearing kit you have to get from ZF appartently because noone can sell the bearings

Early 99, regular cab, Six Speed, Wildman Tuned, Red wastegate line MIA, muffler MIA, Isspro EGT/Boost, DIY Tymar, EBPV Switch, a slipping South Bend, 2.5" leveling kit, 35x12.5 BFG All-Terrains, 16.5" American Racing wheels SOLD
04, red regular cab, six speed, Edge SOLD
97, silver regular cab 300/200 s300
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binder man View Post
shift fork. Mine did the same thing I drove around for a few months and it was a burr in the 3-4 fork and a few other little things cost me about 800 including the 400 dollar bearing kit you have to get from ZF appartently because noone can sell the bearings
do you HAVE to do the bearing kit? so yours was just the 3-4 shift fork then? how hard was it to fix?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

ended up being the roll pin had fallen out of the shifter rod deal so it wasnt pushing the shift fork into gear

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode