aftermarket trans pan? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

aftermarket trans pan?

what aftermarket trans pan are you running? how do you like it? i have a 4r100 and looking for a better pan.

BOTTOMS UP!
Chris 0.

02 cc, 7.3, longbed, 05 front & 08 rear face lift conversions, 8 inch lift 38"s on 18"s, 5" bully dog, isspro gauges, amp steps, diy intake,203 t-stat. 4:56 gears, Trutrac in rear & PHP 6 position.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 06:55 PM
riverjet

Re: aftermarket trans pan?

Leave the stock one on the trans.

2001 f250 xlt reg cab 4x4,7.3 stock injectors,water/meth,ITP rr,walbro,5/8 pu,BD/MANN ccv,DP F5,OILGUARD,stock turbo,WW,ATS,1.0 exh.housing,high flow outlet,MBRP4",Billet 3-disk,built trans,Billsteins,11 ISSPRO PERFORMAX gauges,Scan gauge,08 rear cover,350 blocks,x-springs,AFE stg2/pg7,P265/75r16 NITTO Terragrapplers.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 07:19 PM
owner/president

Send a message via MSN to dixieland-diesels

You don't need an aftermarket deep pan.I put an ATS aluminum deep pan on mine just for looks.

03 lariat cc,4x4 7.3,DP-F5,36''MT,8"lift w/trac.bars,4"Silverline ss.exh,AFE II,Optimas,ATS housing,WW,Turbomaster,6.0 IC & tranny cooler,BTS,ISSPRO gauges,HPX,ITP RR,BRV+,Powerslots,WARN prem-hubs,coolant filter,ccv mod,08 mirrors,ARP's,mod.fuel & inj's.,Crower rods,AIH delete,AMSOIL fluids. ~waitn on the 38R~

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

why? wouldnt more fluid and aluminum pan lower temps...?

02 cc, 7.3, longbed, 05 front & 08 rear face lift conversions, 8 inch lift 38"s on 18"s, 5" bully dog, isspro gauges, amp steps, diy intake,203 t-stat. 4:56 gears, Trutrac in rear & PHP 6 position.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 07:21 PM
owner/president

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris 0. View Post
Yes(sort of),but your tranny cooler will take care of that.

03 lariat cc,4x4 7.3,DP-F5,36''MT,8"lift w/trac.bars,4"Silverline ss.exh,AFE II,Optimas,ATS housing,WW,Turbomaster,6.0 IC & tranny cooler,BTS,ISSPRO gauges,HPX,ITP RR,BRV+,Powerslots,WARN prem-hubs,coolant filter,ccv mod,08 mirrors,ARP's,mod.fuel & inj's.,Crower rods,AIH delete,AMSOIL fluids. ~waitn on the 38R~
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 07:35 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

No, they won't lower temps. It may take a while longer to get hot, but once it does get hot it will take longer to cool off, too, so what have you gained? Also, have you ever noticed how hot it is under the truck? How are you going to cool anything in all that heat?

If you want the trans to be cooler put a better cooler on the truck. A pan isn't the way to cool the trans.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 07:44 PM
owner/president

Install a 6.0 tranny cooler.

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 08:31 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris 0. View Post
Makes your wallet lighter from the extra fluid and the cost of the pan. Pretty much all you can count on is the "Rice Factor".

01 Excursion 7.3L Powerstroke. Gauges with AIH Delete, AIS, CCV Mod, 4' MBRP, BTS Trans, 6.0L Trans Cooler and Intercooler, DP-Tuner F5 chip, ITP In Tank Mod and Boost Annihilator, Diesel Innovation's Regulated Fuel kit, BTS Big Oil system, GTP38R Turbo with 1.15 A/R housing and BPD Stage II AC injectors. Bilstein Shocks with U front and A Rear.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 04:28 AM
PSN LIL KID

Do a nice pan you wont regret it.

The factory trans pan gets 2 thumbs down from me!

Ford made a deeper 1 for the 4x4 trucks vs 2wd (why ), some e40d and 4r100 have no drain plug (stupid ), the Ford pans are easily damaged, Pans with drain plugs are prone to failure at the pan/plug threads with little overtighening. Do not net anyone do your fluid/fliter change with a factory pan.

I have a Mag-tec pan and it is a nice pan as are many aftermarket pans are. the pan holds more fluid and once it is heated it is seems run the same temp as the factory pan.

I bought the aftermarket pan because i have spilled enough fluid in my driveway and on myself with my Gen 1 Ford Lightning (E4od) NON plug equipped pan to drive me crazy 2002 f250 plug spun off the treads and the plug wouldnt come out so more atf went onto the driveway I guess the last person that serviced the transmission put the plug in with a impact driver.

My trucks lift hight/tires are the same as your truck if you wanna see what you spent your hard earned $$$$ on just look.

If your at stock ride hight save $$$$ buy a sticker only way anyone will see your trans pan is if you roll your truck
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 04:33 AM
PSN Veteran

So how do you resolve the fact that an ex-Ford trans engineer did all the measurements and found that the deep dish pan didn't do anything for the cooling? So far, all it has is the rice factor.

01 Excursion 7.3L Powerstroke. Gauges with AIH Delete, AIS, CCV Mod, 4' MBRP, BTS Trans, 6.0L Trans Cooler and Intercooler, DP-Tuner F5 chip, ITP In Tank Mod and Boost Annihilator, Diesel Innovation's Regulated Fuel kit, BTS Big Oil system, GTP38R Turbo with 1.15 A/R housing and BPD Stage II AC injectors. Bilstein Shocks with U front and A Rear.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode