dual mass and solid flywheel difference??? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
redneck engineer

dual mass and solid flywheel difference???

im just wondering im in the middle of a 5 speed swap, and im swappin an idi zf in my 97. well iwas hoping the clutch assembly would swap but it wont. so i was lookin at just fly wheels and the solids are so much cheaper, but it says needs to be converted to a solid clutch setup. my ? is whats the difference in the clutch setup?

97 f-250 hd solid axle cold air 4in dp 3in body lift 4in exhaust rollin on 36 12.50 swampers hopfully have 46's under it this fall
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 03:26 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: dual mass and solid flywheel difference???

If it were me I would do the swap to the solid flywheel now. Chances are you will do it eventually cause the dual mass flywheels are known to come apart.

Matt

E99 F350 ECSB SRW 4x4 ZF6 3.73 Adrenaline HPOP, chip, tymar
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
redneck engineer

thanks for the reply but thats not what iwas tryin to get at. sorry should have worded it better. i have a dual mass setup now on the 94 idi im gettin the 5 speed from. i was hoping they would interchange but the flywheel bolt pattern is different. i was looking at just getting a flywheel and when i was pricing them the solid was much cheaper, but it said must change to a solid flywheel clutch setup. well the one in the idi was changed about three months ago its still good. i was wondering why i couldnt use that disc and pressure plate with a soild flywheel. is there really a big difference?

97 f-250 hd solid axle cold air 4in dp 3in body lift 4in exhaust rollin on 36 12.50 swampers hopfully have 46's under it this fall
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 10:09 PM
PSN Veteran

I believe you would run into a balancing issue.

Matt

E99 F350 ECSB SRW 4x4 ZF6 3.73 Adrenaline HPOP, chip, tymar
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
redneck engineer

i havent a clue im gonna get the fly wheel and see how it goes. the dual mass looks like any other clutch ive seen. if some one had a pic of the two it would help. i just dont see how there would be such a big difference. i dont know ive always delt with clutches in gassers. never had to deal with on in a diesel.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
redneck engineer

bump

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 11:44 PM
PSN Local

I have a dual mass flywheel that i will sell for 150 if your interested.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
redneck engineer

pm sent.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 12:10 AM
02 CCSB

I believe the factory dual mass disc is 12.25 or12.5" and the single is a full 13. At least in the LUK flywheel/plate/disc kits.

02 CCSB Lariat F-250, Auto, 3.73, 6", 35" Toyo OC MT, Juice w/Attitude, 4" Turbo back MBRP, owner built trans, billet triple disc, 31 row 6.0 cooler, tugger and aux filter, Snow tow max

94 RCLB XLT F-150, 5.0 5spd, 4.10 Tru Trac, 4", 33" BFG AT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode