tranny problems no shift - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Solareclpse

Send a message via Yahoo to solareclpse2000
Exclamation tranny problems no shift

Ok ithis is kinda long but I'm tryin to give the best discription. I was stuck real bad in the mud this weekend. Like stuck friday and didn't get it out till sunday. This is th truck in my signature. I buried it bad all the way to the head light on the driver side and the passenger side was up on solod ground. I don't know how to put a pic on here from my phone. But I was stuck and almost didn't get the truck out. A buddy yanked me out after 2 others tryed. He had to snatch me really hard and the whole time well I was jus hammering on the pedal. I didn't try rocking it foward and back but a few times. My trans temp didn't go into red but I kno the factory gauge does suck. But this was the process for almost 2 hours before it came out. Of course we kept stopping n changin the angle we were pulling in between. Afterwards when it did come out the front driver side tire blew the bead on the rim and the valve stem was sheered off. So I fixed that and got all the mud out of the rims so it didn't wobble. Now for the problem on th drive home I discovered no 3rd gear and no OD and the OD light was flashin. No matter what I do the thing won't shift and it just redlines at 55mph so drivein is limitied if I'm driving 55 and let of the pedal it doesn't shift the rpms jus drop right to idle with no resistance but that may be normal I'm not sure. It just will not shift into 3 or OD 1st and 2nd both shift normal. Got it home no tranny fluid leaking so I thought water in tranny. Drained it replaced filter and no fix. There was no water in the tranny. I ran my AE scan tool on it n got 2 codes P0782 2-3 shift malfunction. No clue what can cause it to not shift. The other code was ABS n I don't remebr the number but it was RF signal missing. I figure it is refering to right front abs sensor issue. I disconected the sensor n reconnected it and it brought up a different code and said RF circuit fail. So I don't kno what that code means but please help I think I blew a shift sloenoid what can I do? How do I start testing this?

2002 F250 crew cab, short bed, 7.3, 4x4, auto,8.5 procomp lift/37 in. tires.
needs new badges and paint,
it's a 7.3 PSD.what more can i say? does anyone have any extra parts they need to get rid of?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Solareclpse

Re: tranny problems no shift

bump...
ok also more on this i hooked up the Auto Enginuity scan tool and took it for a drive and monitored the gear comand signal and right around the time it is supose to shift i get a yellow 6 that later turns to a red 8.im not really into rocket science but this i assume means the PCM is telling the tranny to shift....but no shift is taking place so what do i need to do to narrow it down?i dont know this tranny inside and out nor any tranny that well for that matter but im mechanical enough to rebuild it if i had to but im not so sure thats neccesary yet.i dont have the money for a kit either and wont for a while.but from best i can tell with that code and what its doing is that it has to be the shift solenoid pack or something to do with the accumalator valve for 2-3.but wouldnt it still skip 3rd and shift to OD? maybe not but i dont know either which is why i posted this on here.can i test the solenoid pack? and how would i test the accumaltor if thats even possible? (im not sure how testing a valve would be so possible in the tranny pan) this was moved here from the 7.3 tech page for an answer.i hear someone hereis a tranny guru but cant remeber the name. please help i dont have money to take it to the shop and i cant keep driveing it like this for fear of causeing more damage.

it's a 7.3 PSD.what more can i say? does anyone have any extra parts they need to get rid of?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Solareclpse

and also wanted to note when i pulled the pan there was no metal or any debris at all so im trying to rule out a mechanical failure so i can know if i can fix this from dropping the pan or if i have to yak the tranny.also what about the bands? where are they and how would i adjust them or check them? thanks guys

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 11:38 PM
riverjet

I am no expert and still learning,but you can inspect the accumulator by looking at the shift valves. Make sure the bores have no scratches,broken springs,mod valves don't stick in the bores and that the accumulator body is not warped.Google 4r100 valve body mods and you will find lots of information.You can make your tranny shift realy nice by playin with the accumulator provided the trans is healthy. The accumulator takes about 10 minutes to get out. It is the body at the front of the trans.

2001 f250 xlt reg cab 4x4,7.3 stock injectors,water/meth,ITP rr,walbro,5/8 pu,BD/MANN ccv,DP F5,OILGUARD,stock turbo,WW,ATS,1.0 exh.housing,high flow outlet,MBRP4",Billet 3-disk,built trans,Billsteins,11 ISSPRO PERFORMAX gauges,Scan gauge,08 rear cover,350 blocks,x-springs,AFE stg2/pg7,P265/75r16 NITTO Terragrapplers.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 11:40 PM
PSN Veteran

check the solenoid harness on the outside of the transmission.

1997 F-250 PSD, 130k, 4x4, Outlaw E4ODX, Standard Cab, reg bed, 3.55 LS rear, Swamps 225/146 injectors, Autometer Guages Pyro/Boost/Tranny, 3" downpipe, 3.5" adjusted exhaust, ts 6 pos chip, Tonys fun programs, Tru-Cool H7B, 285/75, factory alum rims, Western V-Plow, 6.0 intercooler installed not plumbed

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Solareclpse

ok guys i checked the harness on the out side of the tranny and dont get me wrong mud everywhere but nothing loose everything seems to be good and tight. as for the accumalator valves they are in the valve body if i understand correctly so ill be dropping the pan to check this out some time soon.thanks guys keep it coming.this thing is killing me

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 08:05 PM
PSN Veteran

First thing I would clean everything. I pulled the solenoid pack out of my trans for some odd reason. When I put it back in i forgot to plug it in. It did something very similar to yours. I would make sure the connectors arent packed with water and mud.

1997 F-250 PSD, 130k, 4x4, Outlaw E4ODX, Standard Cab, reg bed, 3.55 LS rear, Swamps 225/146 injectors, Autometer Guages Pyro/Boost/Tranny, 3" downpipe, 3.5" adjusted exhaust, ts 6 pos chip, Tonys fun programs, Tru-Cool H7B, 285/75, factory alum rims, Western V-Plow, 6.0 intercooler installed not plumbed

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 09:18 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solareclpse2000 View Post
ok guys i checked the harness on the out side of the tranny and dont get me wrong mud everywhere but nothing loose everything seems to be good and tight.
That's not checking anything useful. You have to unplug the connectors and check the pins for dirt/mud/water/damage/corrosion etc.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Solareclpse

ok did all the connectors today sprayed them with terminal protector wiped them and cleaned them. this is what i found.all the connectors were fine and dry and clean inside EXCEPT that one on the passenger side you refered to.water came pouring out of it when i pulled it off. i dried the connector and everything i let it set off for a long while to dry and then verified it was dry with q-tips and it was completly dry and i hooked it back up and took it for a test run.with no change. still wont shift. so what should i check next?

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 10:02 PM
Busted Knuckles

Try checking into a new tranny sorry man I had to I know how it is it blows.

'97 Powerstroke SCLB:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak4life View Post
i have a couple friends that went balls deep in wyotech and when they got out they couldn't poor piss out of a boot if you put the directions on the sole

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode